Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get some Sense... [sense monitoring solution]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sweet, so there is hope for mine.

On the Sense site they mention detecting specifically the 2012-2015 I think. I'm not sure when Tesla went to the 48/72 amp single charger, but I'm guessing this is why?

I've set my car to 40 amps. No idea if/when it will kick down to 30. In winter I assume people use less power. or at least my neighbors who have a constant breath chocking black smoke pouring from their house.

Last edited:
Yeah, I saw that too. I think my Unknown % will drop from 65%-ish to about half of that now that it sees my Tesla.

Another data point, though. This morning I warmed up my car as I was getting ready and it detected the current draw for the cabin heater as Electric Vehicle as well, and that consumption profile is very different than a charging profile.

Here is a pic of my charging consumption overnight and a pic of me warming the car this morning. Both with NEMA 14-50 @ 40amp.

IMG_0352.png IMG_0351.png

Correct, I do not know if warmups will be detected in the same fashion, as that can vary a lot based on temp.

I do know when starting to charge there is a very distinct pattern as it goes 1, 2, 3, 4, etc amps and builds up the load.

Interesting... hopefully mine pics mine up.

Maybe Sense can't (or rather currently doesn't) do any kind of 'forced learning'.

But what if, via the app or web portal it could ask you some things, to assist it's learning?

Like:

1. do you own an EV (how many)
2. How many TVs do you have?
3. Do you have a heat pump?
4. Do you have a well pump?

things like that, which would help it's detection algorithms learn faster by focusing the effort on the known.

Just an idea.

Of course if 100% machine learning works, then the questions are moot, but for now I'd think it would speed up learning.

Reactions: dhanson865
I spoke too soon RE: my EV. It turns out that it is initially detected as soon as charging begins to ramp up, but only 21 seconds of the 3+ hour charging sessions was tracked as being EV consumption. Seems like they have more work to do on this device profile.

Anyone else using neur.io? I installed it mainly because it provides a second sensor set to monitor our solar generation in addition to consumption (although I would like a 3rd to measure the garage circuit). Solid hardware installation, seems to work well, shows useful graphs, but the smart appliance detection that they mention in some literature is not active. Web app and mobile app are fairly slow to load but decent quality. Not sure the status of the company, seems like there hasn't been much activity recently. At least if they were to go under, and their cloud services go down, you can always ping the device on your local network and record the stats yourself (if you're so inclined).

up to "18 devices". Nothing really new.

It did identify my HVAC fan as 2 devices.
I have a heat pump + propane.
It identified the fan motor twice, so I labeled "House Fan - Heat Pump" and "House Fan - Propane"

They are the same fan...

It did however seem to lose my heat pump. :(
Now I show 1,800 watts (ish) of unknown vs. before it would actually show the heat pump. The "House Fan" devices show about 550, so I know that's not the actual heat pump...

Still jaded that it hasn't found the thing I bought it to find (my S85)... and that it 'lost' my head pump.
My eco bee is WAY more reliable for heat pump hours... so I take that x it's watt, which I found a while ago with a ammeter.

A while back I borrowed a ammeter from a friend and found:

Heat Pump: 1,944 watts
House Fan - Heat Pump Mode: 708
House Fan - Propane Mode; 808
Well Pump: 1,440 watts
Dryer: 6,000 watts (heating element) (which, Sense found the dryer motor as a device, and dryer heater as a device)
Water Heater in Heat Pump Mode: 288 watts (Locked to this mode)
Water Heater Resistance Mode: 4,020 watts
Propane water heater (exhaust motor): 142 watts

Average 1,400 kwh/month.

• Informative
Reactions: Max*
Mine is taking 4...EV....ER :(

I've had it installed for ~2 weeks and it's only ID'd 3 things...

Talk to their customer support. I had the same issue after 2 month (only 3-4 things detected). Turned out one of the pins in my unit was broken. They replaced my unit, now I have a bunch of devices detected (still not very helpful, since I can't identify them. Sense thinks I have 5 fridges in the house...).

• Informative
Reactions: nwdiver
Mine STILL hasn't found the thing I bought it for. And it's forgotten more devices than it's found at this point.
I'm not impressed. Would have rather added a subwoofer to my car for the $ than this gizmo.
I might actually sell it...

Mine STILL hasn't found the thing I bought it for. And it's forgotten more devices than it's found at this point.
I'm not impressed. Would have rather added a subwoofer to my car for the $ than this gizmo.
I might actually sell it...

Better not sell it here :) How much for a non-very-well-working sense device?

I was still thinking about buying one. Think I may hold off for a while (unless, of course, the price is right).

I've got about 18 devices identified at this point. It's pretty impressive technology, even when it doesn't detect your devices. You can see in real-time the consumption of anything. Turn something on and watch the consumption instantaneously.

Sense claims that my Tesla was identified properly, but it only tracks a small spike during the initial ramp up and then it doesn't track anything else. Their EV device detection code is only about a month old, so I'm expecting it to improve dramatically.

I still think Sense is very cool technology and will continue to improve over time.

it's a neat gizmo, just disappointed that it forgets thing.

It FOUND my heat pump... so I thought sweet, that's the end of it. But now it runs for hours and doesn't show at all.
Unreliable stuff is worse than not having the thing...

Did anyone see the option to enable network discovery? So I guess from my wifi, it can know when my TV is on... because my TV is on my wifi... I guess in theory it could start pinging all the things, and resolving names and MACs to identify products. From my router I can see the TV/DVD/printer, some iPads, etc. so why not align that with power use?

Did anyone see the option to enable network discovery? So I guess from my wifi, it can know when my TV is on... because my TV is on my wifi... I guess in theory it could start pinging all the things, and resolving names and MACs to identify products. From my router I can see the TV/DVD/printer, some iPads, etc. so why not align that with power use?
<Uses wifi connected cell phone to turn on BT microwave, sense learns that a cell phone is a microwave!>

Just kidding, that's a good idea if it were able to do that. My router knows all my devices, I named all the unknowns there, not that I've ever used that feature since then.