Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

George Blankenship Retires from Tesla Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
George:

I still remember the day you called me at home to discuss my delivery concerns. You were straightforward and honest and I really appreciated you taking your time to explain the issues. You represent what is right about Tesla and your talents and expertise are a major part of the unique Tesla "experience".

My sincere thanks for all you have done and best regards!

George, it was an absolute pleasure to meet with you and share stories at the private opening for the Washington Square mall location. Loved hearing how you met Elon, got the job, and found out what POTUS meant.

Love your work, contributions, integrity, and mostly your endless positive passion!

Congrats, and thank you!

Yours,
Greg

'maintenance mode' yes is a bit extreme, but here in Silicon Valley there is a huge difference between the stages of a company before and during the launch of the first large scale successful product and after. A lot of us entrepreneur types fit in a lot better during the former. Sometimes when companies get really big, all roles get a little more pigeonholed and it well isn't as fun.

I would hardly call Tesla in maintenance mode!

But his LinkedIn profile now says he is “Director of Smiles for the Blankenship Family” and he apparently left Tesla a few weeks ago...

A close-up from my Teslive shirt:

Smile_GeorgeB.jpg

Had the opportunity to meet and speak with George at the Toronto Store pre-opening event and again at TESLIVE. On both occasions I was left with a very positive impression of both the man and the company. I wish George nothing but the absolute best in his retirement.

I've met George four times now, and every time I was impressed by his enthusiasm, knowledge, and intelligence. I hope he has a chance to enjoy retirement, and resist the temptation to get pulled into yet another grand business adventure!

George's Ed Sullivan style was evident in the early months of the Model S, particularly at the launches. His personality nicely dovetailed with Elon's, adding enthusiasm when it was most needed. It's just great the way he was able to connect with individual owners. That alone added a great deal to Tesla's credibility.

Best to you George!! !

Many conversations at events with him from Fashion Island to the Design Center to the Factory and the Teslive de-shirting. George is always a energetic Tesla supporter and true fan. Like me, he was sold on his first test go in a Roadster. Apropos in that his energy output is also about 400 volts.
George's contributions to Tesla is the stuff of unsung legends. I know his upcoming book on marketing will be as rich as his life.

PS
I made up the part about him writing a book. But wouldn't that be awesome?

George?

George, Congratulations on a job well done. Enjoy your retirement and spend the time you have earned with your family. You were always very gracious with your time and answered my emails personally. I owe you an adult beverage(s) of your choice at a watering hole of your choosing on Main Street. It still exists, albeit a bit changed. Al

George signed Brianman's shirt and is leaving Tesla!?! I hope Brian didn't have Elon or Jerome sign his shirt. I know Brian traumatizes some people, and we don't want him single-handedly taking down Tesla.

;)