Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow that was really fast: Tesla wins against Ontario gov as judge rules that phase-out of EV incentives is discriminatory

Why can't we get speedy judgments like that here in the US?

In Ontario, a judge has sided with Tesla and agreed that the government was discriminating against the company when it excluded Tesla from the phase-out period of the removal of the province’s EV incentives.

Now it is up to the Ministry of Transport’s to make things right for the Tesla buyers.

Wow that was really fast: Tesla wins against Ontario gov as judge rules that phase-out of EV incentives is discriminatory

Why can't we get speedy judgments like that here in the US?

Indeed, in federal court nearly two years ago Tesla sued Michigan officials regarding their disallowing direct sales and service in the state. A verdict in favor of Tesla could mark the beginning of the end for franchised car dealerships. They would have been wiser to have quietly ignored Tesla and avoided lobbying state legislators. Let's hope this is adjudicated soon.

Folks: I occasionally check skabooshka's twitter account just to see what may have developed. For reference, he's a Tesla bear that was putting out Model 3 production numbers for a while from a supposed inside source.

Over the last week or so, he's been reporting that parking lots at Fremont seem to indicate production is down. Today, there's a series of tweets that seem to say there's a global (?) shortage of Silicon Carbide parts (needed for Model 3 inverters), and it's forcing a major production slowdown.

Any thoughts/insights/research on this?

• Informative
Reactions: shootformoon
Folks: I occasionally check skabooshka's twitter account just to see what may have developed. For reference, he's a Tesla bear that was putting out Model 3 production numbers for a while from a supposed inside source.

Over the last week or so, he's been reporting that parking lots at Fremont seem to indicate production is down. Today, there's a series of tweets that seem to say there's a global (?) shortage of Silicon Carbide parts (needed for Model 3 inverters), and it's forcing a major production slowdown.

If true, it's a short term blip. The Tesla share price is based on long term potential.

Yeah, component shortages in the power electronics industry are becoming more problematic as the automobile industry starts using more and more of the same power components. Production infrastructure has not grown fast enough.

Tesla will solve it.

Indeed, in federal court nearly two years ago Tesla sued Michigan officials regarding their disallowing direct sales and service in the state. A verdict in favor of Tesla could mark the beginning of the end for franchised car dealerships. They would have been wiser to have quietly ignored Tesla and avoided lobbying state legislators. Let's hope this is adjudicated soon.

True, other states have lost in court over keeping Tesla out, but that was at the state level, so a Tesla win in Federal court could unlock the entire country.

Michigan law protects franchised dealers from the OEMs, a pro-Tesla ruling would not impact that relationship. It would only impact new manufacturers without a dealer presence (based on previous state cases).

The legislative change of 2014 was a one word change slipped in at the last minute (last 24 hours technically) by a legislator whose wife was an OEM lobbyist, not via lobbying of legislators as a whole. Tesla suit could shine light on back-room lobbying at state Capitol

Personally, if I knew more about how sales tax reciprocity worked, I'd concider filing suit against Michigan due to having to cover the shortfall created by not collecting sales tax on all the Teslas I see driving around. (Yes, it is not a great foundation for a case, but don't tell that to the annoyed guy;))

• Love
Reactions: neroden
2nd.png

There's Still No Such Thing as a Value Stock in Tech | Loup Ventures

Ranking Loup Ventures’ list of the top technology growth companies over the past 5 years by annualized revenue growth (Q2 2018/Q2 2013) results in the following:

TSLA: 60%

FB: 49%

TWTR: 38%

NFLX: 30%

AMZN: 28%

MU: 28%

NVDA: 26%

GOOG: 20%

CGNX: 20%

Tesla has been, by far, the fastest growing company on the list.

And with the lineup of products in the pipeline, Tesla’s extreme growth is in an excellent position to continue for the next five years.

At some point, the FUD-induced fog will hopefully lift and investors will start recognizing Tesla for the growth juggernaut that it is.

Last edited:
What’s the anticipated relief for Canadian owners who got screwed out of the EV rebate via discrimination against Tesla?

Torts to Tesla would be tremendous if buyers cancelled orders or worst yet, bought an alternative car that qualified?

Fords government is particularly scummy given they double downed and tried to throw the case out instead of admitting their faults.

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl

Well the insight is that they are putting a statement out with no evidence or prove and unfortunately people start discussing it. By doing that this brothers win regardless if they are right or not.

This also happens here at TMC. Lets not forget this are two brother being short and spreading FUD before that has been proven wrong almost all the time.

I do fight as many of you the FUD fight every day in social media. this is best done by counter with sources, hard facts and cool head.

Not having any source other than a statement to dispute the best way to handle this is to ignore it.

If tesla manage to produce 55.000 model 3 in this quarter, it will use (55.000X80,5=) 4.430 GWh batteries.
If it manage to produce only 50.000 model 3, then it will use (50.000X80,5=) 4.030 GWh batteries.
Early on August tesla confirmed that Gigafactory 1 battery production was at '~20 GWh'.
It's safe to say that the average of the quarter will be at 20 GWh, so the quarterly production will be at 5.000 GWh cells.
So tesla will have 570-970 MWh cells to use for the storage business.
In the second quarter tesla energy storage deployments were only 203 MWh...

Regarding the last weeks of craziness, a look at the google search and finding the known negative press, somewhat feels like "normal".

And even more, it feels like all the common FUD ("bankwuptcy", "Tesla burns cash", "Model 3 can't be produced", "fires", "Suicide-AP", "no demand" "CEO is nuts",...) has lost its power!

Maybe we witnessed peak FUD, because the people start getting used to it?

Like if you just survived a plane crash, riding home on your motorbike in a storm, naked and without a helmet, may feel comfortably safe.

Last edited:
Thought I`d share with you how I see the Bear argument shifting after the "saying private" announcement.

As some of you know I`ve started writing for a local EV site about a year ago (coming on to 100 articles fighting the FUD ;)) and recently I`ve noticed a persistent short commenting on all my Tesla pieces. He himself says he is a short and "made 50-55 bucks per share due to Elon`s constant lying" shorting the stock recently. These were hes latest arguments commenting on my article about the WSJ background info on how the discussions unfolded after the "going private" tweet and how the paper confirms the Crown Prince was interested in the deal:
  • Referencing BI claims that there was no term sheet prepared or approval requested from US agencies so the Saudis had no intent to invest. It is clear as day he had no money lined up when he tweeted
  • Musk is a crook and will be fined, but that`s not going to be too bad as the SEC is partial to Tesla and will only fine for like 25k, but
  • Once the SEC ruling is out civil suits will start "in the billions" against both Tesla and Musk
  • Former SEC chairman says Musk should have had the full 72Bn lined up before making such a claim
  • Tesla`s assets will be sold to others to be able to pay the damages
  • Musk is lair and and a crook, but he is doing a favor to the shorts as they are making money off of his lies
  • Musk is clearly completely incapable of leading Tesla and should be sacked
What I found interesting is how he never referenced any of his claims with links. When I linked articles for the points I made and I pointed out all articles about the Saudi involvement (pro & con!) only claim "sources", or when I found and linked the ex-SEC chair interview where he selectively took some words, he just ignored my replies and went on to new things. He always expressed all of his opinion as facts having been proven beyond doubt. He also gets emotional when talking about Musk, using derogatory terms and vilifying him.

It`s almost like they all go to the same school and learn the same conversational tactics irrespective of country...

Since I'm a little mad at Ars Technica for their Tesla coverage at the moment, CleanTechnica has become my #1 news site recently. Just donated $100 to support (what I view as good) journalism.

Haha. And Thanks!!

Seriously. We're still doing everything we can to improve on a useful balance of quality & quantity. In search of the truths (facts + context) most likely to help society help itself.

This community — especially this thread — is my favorite outside of our own community for getting useful perspectives, information, and jokes. You all are wicked amazing and my biggest problem whenever I return to the habit of checking in here is getting anything else done. :p

Public awareness about so many things is so poor right now. Hugely appreciate everyone trying to find the signal from the noise and helping to uncover and explain what matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.