Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is likely the best course, as my view of the role of experts exactly matches Henry Ford's view.

... (and in this case, Feynman's dad's view).
I admire people who don't blindly follow authority and put the efforts to figure things out by themselves. Elon is exactly like that. In that case Andrew Ng's coursea course is still a good start for tipping your toes in. Stanford machine learning course, taught by non other than Dr. Karpathy himself, is also online. Both of these courses would guild you on how to train your models, even one for reinforcement learning. Then you can experiment by yourself, and draw your own conclusion based on your own experiment and the data you and the community collected. By then you will know what works and what doesn't, for what reason. your opinion will be based on solid foundation and we can have much more constructive discussion.

I admire people who don't blindly follow authority and put the efforts to figure things out by themselves. Elon is exactly like that. In that case Andrew Ng's coursea course is still a good start for tipping your toes in. Stanford machine learning course, taught by non other than Dr. Karpathy himself, is also online. Both of these courses would guild you on how to train your models, even one for reinforcement learning. Then you can experiment by yourself, and draw your own conclusion based on your own experiment and the data you and the community collected. By then you will know what works and what doesn't, for what reason. your opinion will be based on solid foundation and we can have much more constructive discussion.

This conversation should get pushed to another thread soon, but the MIT stuff (sort of survey like) is probably a good match for this forum. Here is a link to self driving: https://selfdrivingcars.mit.edu The guest lectures from Sterling Anderson, Sacha Arnoud (Waymo Director of Engineering) and Emillio Frazzoli (CTO nuTonomy) may be of interest to the investment community.
They also have a general AI class with a guest lecture from the current Tesla guy. https://agi.mit.edu
They even have a Stephen Wolfram guest talk. He has always been a good guy. This might be of interest here, too.

Dr Karpathy's recent presentation and his Twitter stream clearly showed he does not agree with you. Labelling remains critical part of deep learning solutions in almost all solutions we see now, including but not restricted to self driving.

Between Dr Karpathy and you, I will take my risk and believe him.
Okay, I see you aren't even going to try to defend your characterization of AlphaZero as a "toy". You just wave your hands and claim that Karpathy says so. You are creating a false choice between believing me and Karpathy. I don't disagree with him. I disagree with you.

Saying that labeling is critical changes nothing. Near the end of his talk he discusses building a Software 2.0 IDE which includes "Autosuggest datapoints that should be labeled" so it's clear to me that automation of the labeling is a priority. Once you can do that you've eliminated the humans once again and AlphaZero can take over.

** Okay, time to take it elsewhere I see. I'm done. **

cockamamieness. Is really good word choice for a moderator, no matter who it applies to. I had not heard it in a while. It is accurate and not too offensive. If it applies to me, I am a bit flattered. It is impressively precise. Thank you for speaking up.

With Elon’s comment of “short burn of the century” on the back of our minds, I wonder if this will become a self fullfilling prophecy as more and more of us become “scared” to sell. I know I’m feeling this way right now... anyone feeling the same?

exactly how i'm feeling. i'm telling myself maybe i should sell a few shares and wait for a dip, but always have elon's comments locked away in the back of my mind...

seems like tsla stock goes up the month of the last quarter, then after earnings it takes a dip. not sure how it will go this time tho...

• Helpful
Reactions: sundaymorning
exactly how i'm feeling. i'm telling myself maybe i should sell a few shares and wait for a dip, but always have elon's comments locked away in the back of my mind...

seems like tsla stock goes up the month of the last quarter, then after earnings it takes a dip. not sure how it will go this time tho...
Indeed I saw the same pattern, in each of Sep, Dec, March the stock price peaked in mid month. Question is that the price movement is so volatile, if you miss timing it by a day it could be a 5% move.

Reactions: neroden

YES !
This morning I was going to sell 20%.
Logged in. Decided to enter about 10 %.
Hit CANCEL instead of submit.
Tried doing 5%. Couldn't do it.

Even tried to buy a SINGLE PUT.

CAN'T STOP STARING AT THE DAMN TICKER !

Can anyone explain the methodology by which Brad Erickson at KeyBank would somehow convince 20 'Tesla dealers' to even talk to him about sales numbers, and then somehow come up with a Q2 Model 3 deliveries estimate based on whatever they told him was going on at those specific locations? I don't mean to rain on the parade but this makes absolutely no sense. It almost seems as if he's concocted a lie based on a total misunderstand of how tesla is selling and delivering the cars.

The last time he made a similar report (talking to 20 'Tesla dealers') was just five days before the end of Q4/17. His estimate was off by more than 3X. (5000 vs 1500 actual).

Status
Not open for further replies.