Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector Power Sharing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

I’ve installed two gen 3 wall connectors on a shared 50A circuit. My wife and I don’t drive too much so the 50A should be totally fine. I have them both configured. But I can’t tell how to configure them for power sharing?

The installation guide says this is coming in a “future update” but I’m not sure if that is outdated or not.

If it is, I can set one to 30 and one to 20 for now.

Looks like its not supported yet so I'll just set em to lower power outputs for now.
Yeah--so what you currently have is a violation of electric code. As you say, you can keep it safe by manually setting them for something like 20A and 30A, but I just wanted to make this clear that without a real smart power sharing feature, multiple EVSEs are not supposed to be on a single circuit.

Reactions: kayak1
Yeah--so what you currently have is a violation of electric code. As you say, you can keep it safe by manually setting them for something like 20A and 30A, but I just wanted to make this clear that without a real smart power sharing feature, multiple EVSEs are not supposed to be on a single circuit.
According to the Gen3 installation manual, each wall connector must have its own breaker. Gen2 was allowed to splice to a single breaker.

@mitchellh3 do you really have them both connected to one 50A breaker? The proper way is to put a small sub-panel and a breaker for each wall connector.

Passing on what I just heard from my favorite electrician who installs many Tesla Wall Connectors (TWC).

He just received the firmware to enable power load sharing between two TWC Gen 3 models. File was sent to him (and other installers) from Tesla in an email attachment a few days ago, not available to public over the air yet.

He setup load sharing on a new pair of TWC Gen 3, communicates via wireless only, no control wires required. Supports up to four TWC Gen 3 at a time right now, and 2 to 4 can power load share up to a single 100 Amp circuit. Each TWC Gen 3 still only outputs 48 Amps each max so won't boost older Model S with dual-chargers. His working theory is that a set of load sharing TWC Gen 3 will replace old/existing installs of paired Tesla destination chargers.

I don't personally have a TWC Gen 3, but I have a pair of load sharing TWC Gen 2.

Reactions: Akr