Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Charger: Where's the App?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed my Gen 3 Wall Charger today. I didn't even know that Tesla was shipping new chargers until after I ordered mine. When I read that the new generation had wifi capability, I assumed that I would be able to view charging statistics and have some measure of control over it. Nope, the wifi is only used for setting up the charger. Does anyone know if Tesla has has plans to expand wall charger capabilities?

Nope, the wifi is only used for setting up the charger. Does anyone know if Tesla has has plans to expand wall charger capabilities?

Probably eventually, seems like something Tesla would do - but you can get similar data from Tesla logging services today, though some will say trusting a 3rd party with an access token is a bad idea. I wouldn't hold my breath for when it occurs though, Tesla has tons of other things they want to accomplish and stats don't seem like a huge priority.

The WiFi is likely to allow communication with your Electric provider. This way they can control when and how much allowing you a discount on power. This is for the future when EV home charging stations will be ubiquitous and will need to be controlled by the electric providers to regulate demand.

• Informative
Reactions: KerryOH
Pretty sure the initial plan for the wifi was only to avoid the data wire between shared chargers, particularly on many-way sharing. It seems that electricians sometimes mess it up. OTOH if they can't pull a wire and set a dipswitch right, I'd bet they have trouble with an app.

Eh? It takes about 1 minute, the hardest part is entering the wifi password. There’s only 2 options to set, the amperage and your home wifi network.
Not for me, it took about 15 minutes. QR Codes didn't work. When I set it manually, my S9 phone wouldn't connect to it; it would default to my garage wifi. Since I knew of no way to easily turn off my garage wifi, I had to reconfigure it so it wouldn't work. Only then would my phone connect to the Tesla wifi. But then I had to reconfigure my garage wifi to work in the middle of the charger setup, and the phone wouldn't recognize the Tesla wifi. I finally got it to work, but it was a pita.

I don't know anything about the charger.

Here is what I would do.
See if you can ping it.
Point a web browser at it, try the default port 80, then port 8080.
see what it does.
Try telenet

I don't know anything about the charger.

Here is what I would do.
See if you can ping it.
Point a web browser at it, try the default port 80, then port 8080.
see what it does.
Try telenet
I know enough about computers to understand what you are describing, but not enough to do it myself.