Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 2 Mobile Charger Issue - Need Assistance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I've been having intermittent issues with my Gen 2 Mobile Charger. It occasionally does this (see video).
I would then have to un-plug and plug it back in.

Temperature doesn't seem to be an issue as it's inside the garage and it's quite cool.

Anyone experienced this in the past and have any solutions?

Appreciate the help!

See Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector Owner's Manual page12: One red flash may indicate a ground fault error. Try unplugging the Mobile Connector from the receptacle and waiting a brief period before plugging the Mobile Connector back into the receptacle. If the problem persists then the receptacle should checked by a licensed electrician to make sure there is a good ground connection.

A ground fault can also be caused by another electrical appliance anywhere in your home even if on a different circuit. (In my case I had a Sears plug in electric leaf blower that would trigger a ground fault on my ClipperCreek EVSE anytime I would power on the leaf blower regardless of the outlet I used.) The ClipperCreek EVSE would reset automatically after about 17 minutes.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...bile_connector_owners_manual_32_amp_en_US.pdf

Although probably not related to the flashing red light; to minimize wear on the power plug adapter the Gen2 Mobile Connector chassis should be supported so the weight of the electronics unit is not pulling on the receptacle and plug.

Tesla sells a Cable Organizer that includes a wall mount bracket for the Mobile Connector chassis (see photos 2 through 4). Description: Store your Corded Mobile Connector with the newly redesigned Cable Organizer. This product features a sturdy bracket to keep your cables neatly stowed and a chassis holder to reduce additional wear and tear on your adapter and outlet.

Cable Organizer

You can find similar organizer kits and wall mount brackets on Amazon, Etsy and eBay. You can also fashion your own support. All that you need is an anchor such a s nail, screw or hook and a bungee or some Velcro wrap or a cable tie wrap.

The UMC that came with the car did that. It got worse over time. Solution was to get a replacement.

Now the second 2nd gen UMC I got is starting to throw another error. The UMC is a complete POC. No wonder Elon is selling it for $200 when other brands cost twice as much.

To clarify, it's not a problem with my circuit it's a problem with the mobile connector. It throws the error on different outlets, different outlet types, different adapters and when not charging. I was able to borrow someone else's mobile connector and it did not throw any errors on the same outlets with the same adapters. I talked with an installer and he said the newer UMCs that don't have the reset button have these problems.

Hi all,

I've been having intermittent issues with my Gen 2 Mobile Charger. It occasionally does this (see video).
I would then have to un-plug and plug it back in.

Temperature doesn't seem to be an issue as it's inside the garage and it's quite cool.

Appreciate the help!
I had the same issue after getting a new 240V outlet installed. My electrician suggested I do the most recent software update. There was nothing in the release notes about the update doing anything for charging, but this fixed the issue.