Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GEICO needs to SPEAK with Tesla ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if others have faced this. GEICO wants to speak with Tesla so they can get details on method of diagnosis (because you know , GEICO knows the right way to diagnose high voltage contactors).

Of course they can’t get a hold of Tesla so they’re likely going to deny the claim.

Is this a common thing - needing to speak with Tesla to interrogate them ? Seems like empty excuses to me but maybe that’s normal - which makes me wonder if GEICO makes sense for Tesla owners given the app-centric service.

Is your car at a Tesla collision center right now getting repaired? Anything like this is generally handled directly between the adjuster and whatever facility is repairing your car.
No it’s a claim for mechanical breakdown.HV contactors failed and I was left stranded at a supercharger 60 miles from the closest service center. I got the car towed to Tesla and fixed. Claimed it afterwards and now GEICO is trying to weasel out of it. They apparently need to talk to Tesla to confirm how they diagnosed the problem before making the repair.

I believe this is typical for any third party extended warranty, which mechanical breakdown coverage is. They want to make sure they are not being scammed. The will probably just make sure that Tesla followed their procedures and didn't just start replacing parts to make the problem go away.

Reactions: Allx
I believe this is typical for any third party extended warranty, which mechanical breakdown coverage is. They want to make sure they are not being scammed. The will probably just make sure that Tesla followed their procedures and didn't just start replacing parts to make the problem go away.
I managed to connect both parties (got lucky calling the service center and they gave me a direct extension for the insurance to call).

FYI, for those stumbling on this, mechanical breakdown coverage requires pre approval. For something like high voltage contactors it can soften the blow.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
What was the extension for insurance to call?

I would recommend looking at XCare for something like this, they know the limitations of Tesla service and work around them.
It’s nothing universal unfortunately, just a personal extension for this particular local service rep. I explained how my insurance was about to stiff me and he offered his extension. I got lucky with this case .

It’d be more sustainable if they had an option for insurance in their menu but I’m guessing that with layoffs they’re not flush with staff.