Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gas stations are dangerous!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the other side of the coin. Last week an underground high voltage cable exploded under the pavement/sidewalk across the street from my office.

The last guy to walk across it is a friend and colleague who had a very lucky escape...

Last edited by a moderator:
(Un)fortunately I was not around that day - all I have seen is this:

scaled.php

The Lewis Caroll reference is the name of the adjacent bar (who I think own the CCTV camera), which has a bit of an Alice in Wonderland meets Lion Witch and the Wardrobe theme going on.

And that's just with gasoline, which is flammable but not explosive. Compressed hydrogen would be another beast altogether...
Gasoline and Hydrogen are very different. Both can be ignited when mixed with air (gasoline vapours), but Hydrogen needs less energy for the reaction to be triggered than gasoline vapours do. Gasoline vapours explode only in a fairly narrow range of air admixture, whereas hydrogen goes off across a much wider range (as does alcohol). Hydrogen is of course very difficult to contain and leaks easily (goes through glass e.g.). To build hydrogen tight assemblies for a car rattled across cobblestones is not a trivial exercise. Be careful with alcohol and your barbecue, the bottle can already go off when you open it (static spark will do).

Hydrogen Stations are Dangerous!
(worth a new thread)

With as few stations and cars as there are now, I wonder what the accident rate is in relation? One explosion per every "...16,000 hydrogen fill ups by over 800 drivers." does not sound that good to me. I that all hydrogen stations and all cars?
How does that compare with gasoline and electric power station explosions?

A couple more facts:

The H2 molecule brownian motion is faster than the Earth's escape velocity, so our gravity field can't contain it. When released into the atmosphere, it eventually escapes into space. Talk about hard to trap!

A hydrogen fire is almost invisible in daylight. Earlier, NASA trained its firefighters to wave a broom about in front of them if they suspected a hydrogen fire - the broom would then catch fire first, so the firefighter could avoid walking right into it. http://www.sti.nasa.gov/tto/spinoff1997/ps1.html. Quote NASA: "Indeed, hydrogen fires are a significant risk". This goes for alcohol too, by the way.

Last edited:
Yes I can gladly attest to this. Having used a hydrogen flame as a blowtorch the flame is pretty scary. When you purposefully turn it on and use it the heat distorts the gasses around the flame so you can actually see it. Though the effect is pretty subtle and at one point I almost put my hand through the flame as I thought the burner was off. It does make for a nice indoor flame though since there is no carbongas buildup :)

Cobos