Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage smoke detectors and home insurance for home charging.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my home security company place a smoke and heat detector in my garage. The installer told me there are insurance companies requiring fire detection in garage if you have an electric car. Has anyone been told this by their Home Owners Insurance company?

Reactions: ev919
I had my home security company place a smoke and heat detector in my garage. The installer told me there are insurance companies requiring fire detection in garage if you have an electric car. Has anyone been told this by their Home Owners Insurance company?
Yes. I had to install a heat detector n 2019, but it was regardless of electric car use or charging. It was required back then and likely randomly required by various insurance companies.

Look into a heat detector as most smoke alarms cannot be installed in a garage per their listing. The smoke of combustion may trip then inappropriately, and most smoke alarms are not designed for hot and cold unconditioned spaces.

Look into Omni Shield wireless heat detectors or Residio ProSIX central monitored system.

It wasn’t required by my insurance company, but I did recently install a Kidde heat alarm. It is hardwired and in sequence with the smoke/CO2 alarms that are inside the house. That way if the heat alarm in the garage goes off, the smoke alarms in the house go off too (and vice versa) for maximum alert.

Reactions: agmonaco