Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FYI - Walla Walla to Moscow/Pullman and Back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to share some data on a recent trip. We went from Walla Walla to Moscow by way of Lewiston/Clarkston, overnighted in Moscow and returned via Pullman after checking out the Johnston 4th of July Parade and the WSU grizzly bears. Weather was 80-90 and we stayed about 5mph over the speed limit the entire trip.

WW to Moscow (64% battery used, 90-33=57, 76-71=5, 57+5=62?)
1688601569599.png

We charged at the Blink station in town (interesting you charge right by the entrance to the hotel checkin area), nice 9-10kw since we weren’t sharing. A bit pricey for L2 considering electricity cost but got the job done while we kicked around town.

Moscow to Johnson to Pullman to Walla Walla (58% battery used, 71-58=13, 85-40=45, 45+13=58!)
1688601668699.png

Just for peace of mind, topped off at the DCFC at the WSU visitor center while we had lunch. If you had more time to kick around WSU, there are 2 Clipper Creek L2 chargers that are free.

Very enjoyable trip. Didn’t need to charge in Moscow, probably could have skipped and just gone to Pullman for the DCFC to get enough to get home, even with the Johnson detour. A SC would be nice as Tesla ownership increases but the trip is very doable right now.

The problem with relying on public charging in these college towns is that there are specific weekends when everyone goes there at the same time. Any Cougar football home game, Dads' weekend, beginning and end of school year, etc. And all the plugs will likely be occupied at those times.
Very true. But this was not that type of trip and all you read about are bad experiences, likely tied in with some form of college event like you mentioned. I just wanted to let people know my experience which was very positive.

I have used the WSU visitor center DCFC as well without problems. Arrived around 9am on a random weekday for a day trip, but was still concerned about the single stall. Absolutely needed about 45min charge for the return trip. On that day, both J1772s were in use (one of the “problems” with free chargers, people use them even if they don’t need the charge). Definitely looking forward to an SC.

There's also a free L2 charger in Moscow hidden behind the College of Natural Resources building on campus. The driveway into it is funky, right next to Line St., but don't turn on Line St....

For some reason they are not listed on Plugshare, but I used it back in October when I was in town for homecoming. They used to be ChargePoint units, but now they are Clipper Creek.

1688653350452.png

• Informative
Reactions: Mrbrock
There's also a free L2 charger in Moscow hidden behind the College of Natural Resources building on campus. The driveway into it is funky, right next to Line St., but don't turn on Line St....

For some reason they are not listed on Plugshare, but I used it back in October when I was in town for homecoming. They used to be ChargePoint units, but now they are Clipper Creek.

View attachment 953703

Looks like you need to pay to park and no overnight. Kind of hidden with just the lightning bolt and mention in the map key.

Looks like you need to pay to park and no overnight. Kind of hidden with just the lightning bolt and mention in the map key.

During the week parking rules are in effect on campus, but not on weekends...... that's how it was when I attended, and last I saw when I was there in October.

EDIT: And then I actually read the map..... interesting. I neither had to pay nor was ticketed when I used it for five or so hours during Homecoming.

Last edited:
During the week parking rules are in effect on campus, but not on weekends...... that's how it was when I attended, and last I saw when I was there in October.

EDIT: And then I actually read the map..... interesting. I neither had to pay nor was ticketed when I used it for five or so hours during Homecoming.
And I just found a more up to date map (28 June 2023), which mentions that you need to pay to charge... Wonder if they took the Clipper Creek units back out?

https://www.uidaho.edu/-/media/UIda...hash=C47D046D847E1CB8AE4037F351E9CE145E9EDACA

And I just found a more up to date map (28 June 2023), which mentions that you need to pay to charge... Wonder if they took the Clipper Creek units back out?

https://www.uidaho.edu/-/media/UIda...hash=C47D046D847E1CB8AE4037F351E9CE145E9EDACA
I think it is referring to paying the parking meters, not the chargers. Basically, having a regular permit doesn’t matter here, you have to feed the meter. An easy way to collect money while charging at a clipper creek unit, not reliant on someone else’s charging network to get payment.

Reactions: VandalSibs
I think it is referring to paying the parking meters, not the chargers. Basically, having a regular permit doesn’t matter here, you have to feed the meter. An easy way to collect money while charging at a clipper creek unit, not reliant on someone else’s charging network to get payment.
I was just there this weekend (Homecoming 2023!), and can confirm that it's a normal parking meter - which on campus doesn't need to be paid on the weekends... so, free charging.

I was just there this weekend (Homecoming 2023!), and can confirm that it's a normal parking meter - which on campus doesn't need to be paid on the weekends... so, free charging.
The map you linked is very specific as to which lots are enforced at which times. It also specifically states that you use pay the meter while charging. The spots are in Lot 26 which is a special manger area with no enforcement times listed. I think we’d need to see signage on the entry to the lot and at the actual chargers/meters to see enforcement times but based solely on the map, it would seem the meters while charging are enforced 24/7.

The map you linked is very specific as to which lots are enforced at which times. It also specifically states that you use pay the meter while charging. The spots are in Lot 26 which is a special manger area with no enforcement times listed. I think we’d need to see signage on the entry to the lot and at the actual chargers/meters to see enforcement times but based solely on the map, it would seem the meters while charging are enforced 24/7.
No way Pullman is enforcing parking meters 24/7. No reason not to believe VandalSibs assertion that they aren't enforced on weekends.

The parking meter itself said that it was enforced Monday-Friday. It's pretty standard for parking on the University of Idaho campus, even the Gold lots that are the most expensive permit ($400+ dollars a year now!). Been like this since I was a student there in 2004.

Reactions: Mrbrock