Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD issue -- Car reboots when trying to open via FWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've been in-and-out of the service center for 4 weeks now. They have spent 40+ hours diagnosing, replacing a myriad of parts and still haven't been able to fully repair my FWD issue. It's frustrating because the issue is only repeatable *if the car has been sleeping overnight, and you try to open via one of the FWD*. After an overnight sleep, if you first go in the car through the driver door and open the FWD via the screen, it operates as intended -- no reboot happens.

As you can see from the video, the door will openly slightly and then reboot (same reboot as holding down the 2 buttons on steering wheel). It takes a full 2 minutes to reboot and will ask you to recalibrate the doors afterwards.

SC has been able to replicate and has replaced the FWD ECU and 2 different sets of upper spine modules. They have inspected all grounding wires, tested voltages and signals across all the FWD harnesses. They are exhausted and so am I.

I have a mobile service appt to replace my 12v battery tomorrow. 4 years old and approx 60k miles. My theory is that the 12v battery is on its last legs and when it tries to open the FWD door for the first time after sitting, it may not have enough juice and fails -- hence a reboot. The MCU is asking me to calibrate the doors every time. I know that some forum members have unplugged and plugged the 12v terminals to forcefully trigger a FWD calibration. This is my own theory and none of the technicians or the manager at the SC have suggested replaement of 12v or provided feedback on what to do next. If this doesn't solve it, I may need to go to a different SC for a 2nd opinion.

At worst, I proactively replace the 12v before getting factory replacement alerts. At best, the 12v battery is the culprit and solves my FWD problem.

I'm looking for feedback from the forum on what you think may be the issue is or if anyone has experience with this. Technicians and SC manager have pretty much given up on me at this point and are stumped on the cause.

if 12v battery won't fix it, next theory based on urs n the sound it makes right before it stops, that something is binding or FWD motor is overloading 12v enough to sag the voltage down enough to trigger power off/reset
anyhow its easy to test, hook up the multimeter to 12v n watch what happens, might need something more sensitive if its a quick spike type of drop...

if 12v battery won't fix it, next theory based on urs n the sound it makes right before it stops, that something is binding or FWD motor is overloading 12v enough to sag the voltage down enough to trigger power off/reset
anyhow its easy to test, hook up the multimeter to 12v n watch what happens, might need something more sensitive if its a quick spike type of drop...

Appreciate the tip but I can confirm the technicians looked into and shared detailed voltage readouts of opening/closing/during and didn't identify any issues.

Fingers crossed swapping out the 12v fixes this once and for all but surprised multiple techs at the service center didn't even inquire about the 12v battery. 🤞

I've been told 12v lasts approx 3 years, but at 4 years n 60k miles I never received an alert from the car itself to replace.

After a few tests, it looks like the 12v battery replacement cured it. Will monitor over the next few sleeps but I'm hoping this thread helps out other owners who run into this in the future.

Can't wait to tell the service manager and techs that after a month in-and-out of the SC, it was likely the 12v battery that was the issue.

Sorry, 1 more post for future owners who encounter this issue. The car triggered a specific alert -- GTW_w021 "Service is required" a few times during this whole ordeal. Haven't found any significant answers online and SC didn't know what to do with the error code even when I provided timestamps. I'm pretty sure the GTW_w021 is related to 12v battery issues as well.