Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD price to go up $1k and Enhanced Summon release date, both ~August 16.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t get this response at all. It is more expensive now for new buyers, it has been more expensive for EAP buyers, and next month it will be even more expensive for all buyers. It seems crazy to be upset that someone somewhere might pay the same as you did for the same thing.

The main reason I wasted $3k on it is because they said it'd be $4k after delivery. I always had my doubts that it'd pay off, but it's increasingly certain that it will not.

For those that want FSD only for special occasions, you're the target customer for the robotaxis.
I may currently be driving the last cars I will personally own.
After that they can drive me around for less than Uber.
In some cities, It might even be cheaper to let the car making circles during the day
than to pay for a valet or an underground parking spot.

Reactions: Fernand and wenkan
Some folks, rare as we may be, bought our Teslas because they can be entertaining and fun to drive.. not worried about resale when I don't pay extra for newer FSD etc.. Didn't buy it to have a robotaxi either, my RWD would have been fine for that.

If I still own this 3 when FSD can go house to office, and back while I'm watching Netflix, well then maybe it's worth the $ for me at that time.

Some folks, rare as we may be, bought our Teslas because they can be entertaining and fun to drive.. not worried about resale when I don't pay extra for newer FSD etc.. Didn't buy it to have a robotaxi either, my RWD would have been fine for that.

If I still own this 3 when FSD can go house to office, and back while I'm watching Netflix, well then maybe it's worth the $ for me at that time.

That's how I'm trying to minimize the stress of price increases as well. If it can drive from home and come pick me up at work by itself, then I'll be happy to pay $10k+ for it. But until that point it's a pre-order.

It's as if they're subtly opposing Elon's public position.

Not oppose.
Just a reality check on Elon's fluffing things up on Twitter.

It also makes no sense for people leasing a Model 3 to buy FSD.
You will have to return the car back to Tesla in 36 months.

Agreed.

But it also makes little sense for people buying Model 3 to pay $3-8K for an over-hyped promise, and a hilariously mis-named product called Full Self Driving. There is no indication that we would be delivered either "full", or even partial "self-driving" at any finite point in the next decade.

Beautiful hype is still... hype.

Yet, as P. T. Barnum said:
920x920.jpg

Here’s a couple ways to look at if your holding period is five years as an assumption. Some will be longer which makes the math even more favorable.

1.) Buy with the car is preferred. Roll it all up into the financing and use other people’s money at relatively low interest.

2.) 6000 is a lot. Though it’s broken down to $100 per month for five years. Or if you drive a lot, the per mile FSD might look to be pretty cheap.

3.) Your risk of getting nothing for your money gets lower as time goes on. You get EAP equivalency immediately.

People who leased a car with FSD in late 2016 is getting nothing. Those who put up 2-3K on top of 5K probably sees hw 3 in 2020.

Model 3 owners who bought EAP or have the current AP is very spoiled by a relatively mature product by AP2 standards which came out end 2016.

I did not have TACC day 1, did not have proximity sensors and most cameras disabled for almost two years.

After two months I got autosteer at 25 mph on the highway only and not local roads.

Thinking about how crazy that is until today.

Despite giving Tesla a interest free, unsecured loan and paying to be a beta tester I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the journey.

Would do it again.

6000 is a lot but there’s ways to take a bite out of the sting.

Put it on a credit card with awesome reward tiers.
Card with no interest.
Move balance around to a future card with interest promos.

Pay off credit card with lower rate heloc if possible before hitting high rates.

Do it!

Agreed. None of the model 3 owners know the Pull of death on hills in the early versions... Or not having restricted speeds, You could do any speed in any location. LOL It really was a sketchy time.... The software in the vehicles now is a million times better. It is really amazing what has been accomplished with just over the air updates....... I am glad I purchased at a discount.... However though. Being a HW2.0 I feel as if my vehicle will be traded in far before I see any benefit

As soon as they've got true FSD up and running they'll sell plenty of those packages. But we all know the first iteration of FSD is going to be pretty bad so it will be a while before they've got something that most people will want to buy.

The problem I have with this is that it could be many years before it gets to the point where it really works reliably and by that time I may decide I want to upgrade to a new car.

$7k is crazy. Elon is going to find that the vast majority of buyers will pass. Most people buying a Tesla are not interesting in robitaxi’ing their cars out to Saturday night drunks. I predict a price retreat when nobody buys FSD even if they actually deliver on some of their promises.

Reactions: afadeev
The problem I have with this is that it could be many years before it gets to the point where it really works reliably and by that time I may decide I want to upgrade to a new car.

I'm thinking that by the time we can safely sleep in our cars during a road-trip, we'll all want bigger batteries so we can get a full-night sleep between Supercharging stops. And hopefully the battery technology will be better and cheaper by that point too.

Reactions: afadeev
I'm thinking that by the time we can safely sleep in our cars during a road-trip, we'll all want bigger batteries so we can get a full-night sleep between Supercharging stops. And hopefully the battery technology will be better and cheaper by that point too.

As Elon mentioned not too long ago, compared to getting FSD working, automatic charging should be a piece of cake. Of course whether or not you can sleep through the car pulling into a supercharger and plugging in is another matter.

Reactions: willow_hiller
Respectfully, If (and it's a big if yet) FSD becomes reality, I would find $7k to be extremely cheap for my car to be able to drive me to any destination while I sleep or do work- even if I never rent it out.

Absolutely agree. But to me there's a large disconnect between what is likely to come out in the next year and be considered "feature complete" vs. what is really required for the full-autonomy/robotaxi dream. Will FSD customers continue to get everything needed for the latter? It's more than just being able to navigate city streets.

All current and future planned features aside, I think if Tesla achieves the bare meaning of Full Self-Driving (a car driving without a human) it will sell like hotcakes.

Regardless of the price in the future, if I can sleep safely while the car drives to the destination, or if my car can drop me off or pick me up from work, it would pay for itself in hotel bills, parking costs, and train tickets.

I'm paying almost $250 per month for two people to commute to downtown DC via metro. If a FSD commute could reduce that to $50 a month it could pay for itself in just over 2 years.
I really don’t see anytime in next few years it’ll be able to drive with no human monitoring. Our roads just aren’t marked well enough or with consistent standards. I’d be happy to relax a bit though if it can consistently recognize stop signs and lights...and unpark and pick me up at the entrance on a rainy day.

Reactions: Scott7 and afadeev
What I'm curious about is if we'll see any improvements to standard AP over time as he rolls out FSD.

What is there to enhance for AP? Basically the same as I had in my Outback - adaptive cruise control (speed up, slow down) plus maintain lane on the highway (and on some roads).

I purchased FSD, so I'm biased, but what features would you expected in basic "AutoPilot?"

What is there to enhance for AP? Basically the same as I had in my Outback - adaptive cruise control (speed up, slow down) plus maintain lane on the highway (and on some roads).

I purchased FSD, so I'm biased, but what features would you expected in basic "AutoPilot?"

Well that's what I'm wondering as well. Musk likes to say the cars always get better with software updates overtime, but I'm wondering if the current SR+ is basically what we'll see for the long run and it'll only be the cars with FSD that will get better over time.

I guess I could see some options trickle over to basic AP as FSD gets more advanced. I could see initiate a lane change (highway only) on use of turn signal maybe coming back to AP once FSD is able to handle city streets. It still wouldn't be navigate on autopilot, but it would be a nice little bump for the "lower end" cars so they didn't have to turn off and on AP just to change lanes. As FSD gets more and more advanced there will be a larger gap between AP and FSD, so I'm curious if anyone thinks they'll try to maintain the gap or if they'll basically let AP cars die off when it comes to feature updates.

Reactions: willow_hiller
Well that's what I'm wondering as well. Musk likes to say the cars always get better with software updates overtime, but I'm wondering if the current SR+ is basically what we'll see for the long run and it'll only be the cars with FSD that will get better over time.

I think Tesla has established a pattern that if small improvements can be made for the sake of safety, they will be made. Take for example the red-light warning. It's presumably being developed as part of City NOA, I don't think it works very well, but Tesla went to the effort of pushing the code publicly on the off chance it could stop a car from running a red light.

So I imagine that they'll improve AP safety to whatever point possible hardware wise. It's just not clear how much more performance they can squeeze out of HW2.5. Evidently it's already at something like 80% utilization.