Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD price is going up... to WHAT PRICE?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many posts here refer to FsD price going up mid month. What’s the source for this? An Elon tweet?

Right now the cost to upgrade from EAP is $3K. I think it was $6K, and back in March it was briefly $2K, but honestly I’m confused.

But back to paragraph 1: if the price is going up, is it going up from $3K? Or from $6K? And what’s the new total supposed to be - $4K? $7K? Neither? Nobody knows?

Does the fact that I was told (when I bought the car in early 2018) that FSD would cost (I think) $6K serve as a ceiling I don’t have to worry about paying more than? Or was there some fine print I missed?

Several Elon tweets are the source. He said that the price will increase by $1k on August 16th because he expects Enhanced Summon to be rolling out by then.

EAP owners were given a $3k discount on FSD. The assumption is that once the August 16 price increase happens it will go from $3k to $4k for EAP owners, but no one knows for sure.

And to complicate matters, Elon now says that FSD will increase in price every 2-4 months as more features roll out.

Many posts here refer to FsD price going up mid month. What’s the source for this? An Elon tweet?

Right now the cost to upgrade from EAP is $3K. I think it was $6K, and back in March it was briefly $2K, but honestly I’m confused.

But back to paragraph 1: if the price is going up, is it going up from $3K? Or from $6K? And what’s the new total supposed to be - $4K? $7K? Neither? Nobody knows?

Does the fact that I was told (when I bought the car in early 2018) that FSD would cost (I think) $6K serve as a ceiling I don’t have to worry about paying more than? Or was there some fine print I missed?
1b.jpg

I think FSD needs to put up or shut up before they increase the price. Right now, raising the price on a promise is a bit farcical.

Agreed.
I think FSD needs to put up or shut up before they increase the price. Right now, raising the price on a promise is a bit farcical.

Agreed. Soon the price of the car will be $20k and FSD will cost $20k. ;)

This image shows what EAP includes, and it’s basically all but city driving and signs/lights (so includes enhanced summon).

2 days to decide and I don’t really have the $3k, but I do have FoMO.

Attachments

• 2550E138-146B-4ABF-80D7-826CEA4D0929.png
    2550E138-146B-4ABF-80D7-826CEA4D0929.png
    553.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Funny
Reactions: ladysbff
Well, the change happens tomorrow, so I'll wrap up this thread with this final post with a link to a good story that discussed the exact issue raised here in detail: Your Guide To Deciding If Tesla 'Full Self Driving' Is Worth Buying Today

I'll reproduce the author's conclusion here:
So, should you buy it?
The overall conclusion is that the added features today are modest and not worth $6,000, or even $3,000 for somebody who bought the EAP product. As such, the decision is about whether you think the future features are worth the cost, and how sure you are Tesla will deliver them, and how quickly they will do so. In addition, you must consider whether it really will be more expensive to buy these as an add-on later. Right now, Tesla is charging $2,000 more to buy them after delivery, and it claims it will increase this price and gap.

That's a dubious claim. Aside from the new processor, at present FSD is a software product, not a hardware product. It's very rare to buy software products in advance, or expect them to go up in price. FSD and Autopilot have swung wildly in price, though they have increased recently. It's very difficult to predict what their price will be in future.

Competition will also change the price of this function. If Tesla is alone in the marketplace, they may be able to charge the premium they have described. If there is competition, that will regulate prices. The normal history of software and technology products is to go down in price with time, not up. Sometimes way, way down. The car itself, mostly a hardware product, has dropped greatly in price just this year.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller

Right now it is definitely not worth the cost ; you are buying under the assumption features will be added to make it worth the cost or much more. By buying now you get all future updates/improvements. They have stated as more features are rolled out the cost will get higher and higher.
There is no ceiling to the price they might charge.

There also is nothing to prove this will happen (in regards to large price increases) as ultimately the market demand will decide what they can sell it for.

So your guess is as good as mine. Current price is $3000 ; they stated a $1000 increase coming this month once Advanced Summon is released. They did give a date but I would guess they won't increase the cost until Advanced Summon is ready so could be delayed. What you were quoted a year ago does not matter. You are buying software and it is subject to change in cost on a daily basis.

They are promising what you buy today for X will be improved upon and because you bought in you will get all future updates. So they want you to buy based on the assumption in a few years it will be worth Y. Totally your decision if you want to take that chance or wait and see agreeing to paying whatever cost it is at that later date. Myself I am fine waiting and paying more if it is so great that I must have it.

And yes, much like how the US gets it's nationwide policy news via Trump Tweets, Telsa likewise gets it's news via Elon Tweets.

The other related issue which does concern you is that your car I believe has 2.5 hardware and would get a free upgrade to 3.0 hardware if you buy FSD now. Exactly when you would get that hardware update is a little unknown but as a 2018 owner you could have fear they may change the free hardware update and charge extra for that the longer you wait.
To take advantage of some of the coming software improvements, 3.0 will be needed I believe.

Not trying to talk you into buying something you don't want just bringing up this point.
If you already had the 3.0 hardware like the newer 3's have then you can more easily sit and wait.

This is one of those topics where I hate to post my opinion, because I know it's not going to be popular among the forum audience...

I have to preface this by saying I have zero regrets about buying my car. It is, by a very large margin, the finest vehicle I have ever owned. Tesla is now my car brand; I honestly don't think I'll ever buy any other marque again in my remaining years.

The only area that I'm disappointed in is the autopilot/FSD. Yes, I know it's still early in the game, but IMO, it is not nearly as far along in the development process as Mr. Musk is telling everyone. They keep saying "it's all about chasing the long tail", referring to all the digits to the right of the decimal point. And I completely agree with that. The problem is that they are no where even close to being to the first digit to the right of the decimal point. In its current state, AP/FSD is nothing more than a curiosity.. a toy to play with on the road, not even close to being a useful tool yet.

The vehicle I traded in for my Tesla was a 2016 Honda Accord with Lane Keeping Assist and Advanced Cruise Control. Man, I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but the LKA and ACC worked better in that car than my Model 3 with FSD. The Honda never phantom braked, held the lane perfectly, and had far smoother braking and acceleration when following a vehicle than my Model 3. Sure, it didn't do navigate on autopilot, but the core functionality of keeping a lane and following a car with cruise control was much, much better. Just improving the core functionality of lane keeping and car following would have a positive impact on how drivers view AP/FSD, IMO.

I have no doubt that Tesla will get there, and we will eventually have the robo taxi fleet Mr. Musk talked about during the Autonomy Day presentation. But it is going to be much further down the road (please forgive the unintentional pun) than his very pie-in-the-sky timeline he gave during Autonomy day.

Still, I don't regret paying for FSD. To me, it's like backing a Kickstarter project that I believe in at this point. Mr. Musk has, for the most part, always delivered on what he says he's going to accomplish (sure, there are a few exceptions, but he's delivered on the major stuff), including producing a car which, to me, is the finest vehicle I've ever owned. If it's possible for him to produce the best car I've ever owned, is it possible for him to make it drive itself? I think so... eventually.

And honestly, the car is so fun to drive that I don't want the computer to have all the fun!

It all boils down to your opinion... Do you believe in Mr. Musks' vision? Do you think he'll be able to pull off what he says he's going to? Are you willing to help him out financially to do so? I answered yes to those questions. No, I don't think he'll pull it off according to his timeline, but we all know that Elon's space/time continuum is much different than the rest of the population of the planet.

We all have differing opinions on this, and I respect all of them. Vote your opinion with your wallet.

Now pardon me while I put on my flame suit... Be gentle, gents.. I'm old and fragile. ;)

Man, I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but the LKA and ACC worked better in that car than my Model 3 with FSD. The Honda never phantom braked, held the lane perfectly, and had far smoother braking and acceleration when following a vehicle than my Model 3. ....

I noticed the same on Mazda 6. Not one phantom braking, ever. Always very smooth.

Reactions: Phlier