Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People really need to take Tesla to small claims over this.
Tesla has said it's available for anyone that bought FSD and requests it.
So request it. When you don't get it, file a repair request with Tesla. When they tell you that they can't push it to your car, ask them how you can get it per Tesla's statement that it's available. They will tell you you need MCU2, so ask for that. When they tell you that you need to pay, ask why you would need to pay given the car was advertised as having all HW needed for FSD. Make sure you get a quote on the price.

Take all of this to small claims, even if you didn't pay for the upgrade already. This is a pretty simple case to argue. You paid for something. Tesla says it's available and the car had all HW needed in writing. Yet on your car can't have it due to not having the HW. A clear false advertising case.

So request it. When you don't get it, file a repair request with Tesla. When they tell you that they can't push it to your car, ask them how you can get it per Tesla's statement that it's available. They will tell you you need MCU2, so ask for that. When they tell you that you need to pay, ask why you would need to pay given the car was advertised as having all HW needed for FSD. Make sure you get a quote on the price.

Take all of this to small claims, even if you didn't pay for the upgrade already. This is a pretty simple case to argue. You paid for something. Tesla says it's available and the car had all HW needed in writing. Yet on your car can't have it due to not having the HW. A clear false advertising case.

Tesla made the claim that the cars had all the necessary hardware for FSD before FSD even existed. I'm unsure why anybody would have believed that it was possible to know what hardware would be needed to run software that didn't exist. But Tesla made the promise, and I think they made it in writing.

Anybody who paid for FSD, if Tesla says their car cannot run it, has a right to demand a new car. Or at the very least, a refund of the full purchase price of their car including all options.

And of course back then, the promise wasn't just "feature-complete" Level 2, city-NoAP. The promise was "You'll be able to use your car as a robotaxi, or send it off, empty, to pick up the kids, or drop them off and then return empty." What we're seeing is a bait-and-switch scam: Promise a car that does not need to have a person in it at all, and deliver a Level 2 system that the earliest adopters can't even get.

Best car in the world. Too bad they had to make promises they could not deliver on.

Anybody who paid for FSD, if Tesla says their car cannot run it, has a right to demand a new car. Or at the very least, a refund of the full purchase price of their car including all options.

But MCU1 cars can run FSD just fine.

Now, once FSDb is the mainline FSD release instead of an offshoot special request, there might be a different argument. But not right now.

Also, even then, refunding the whole car would be... challenging...to support legally. Especially if the car has more than 0 miles on it.

• Disagree
Reactions: hybridbear

I don't think you can go to small claims as if you watch The People's Court, money has changed hands. I might be wrong. Don't bother with lawyers. Sell the car and find another electric with better safety features

But MCU1 cars can run FSD just fine.

Now, once FSDb is the mainline FSD release instead of an offshoot special request, there might be a different argument. But not right now.

Also, even then, refunding the whole car would be... challenging...to support legally. Especially if the car has more than 0 miles on it.

If MCU1 cars can run FSD just fine, how come MCU2 cars had to get a new computer to fun FSD?

Of course there's still the problem that FSD was supposed to be able to drive itself with nobody in the car, or with just kids in the back seat, and now FSD is just Level 2 city-NoAP. If any Tesla on the road today is ever able to do what was being promised when I bought mine, without more hardware than they have now, I'll eat my hat.

I don't think you can go to small claims as if you watch The People's Court, money has changed hands. I might be wrong.
You are wrong. I went to small claims court and won because Tesla wanted to charge me for AP3, but I had not bought it yet. The damage was that the car had less functionality. The monetary damages were defined as the amount Tesla would charge to fix it.

• Love
Reactions: m5james and Ramphex
FSD doesn’t exist yet. So you don’t know if it will work fine later. FSDBeta is a work in progress and wasn’t available for MCU1 builds until recently.
Not according to Tesla:
Tesla Full Self-Driving Beta is now available to anyone in North America who requests it from the car screen, assuming you have bought this option. Congrats to Tesla Autopilot/AI team on achieving a major milestone!

They say it's available for anyone that BOUGHT THIS OPTION, with no caveats.
What option did you buy, if not FSD Beta? Are you saying Tesla's statement above is functionally a lie because nobody actually bought FSD beta, they all bought FSD? So it's available to nobody?

The courts will see right through this. Tesla has said FSD beta is available to ANYONE that bought FSD. Tesla sold FSD to MCU1 cars. There is no caveat about hardware. It's supposed to be on your car. If it isn't, you have damages for false advertising. Tesla didn't have to sell it to you.

Give up on the FSD Beta is not FSD defense. Even Tesla doesn't try and pull that pedantic mumbo-jumbo anymore.

Well... lol...
I was aware of 10.10 but I think there are a few of us who had the cameras upgraded around the recall time and have now been skipped (to 10.11). Just wondering if any of us had luck getting beta since. I keep checking but all it says is 'your cars software is up to date. BS 😆

…What option did you buy, if not FSD Beta?…
I bought something that didn’t exist. It still doesn’t exist. It may never exist. No amount of whining or hand waving will make it exist.

It should be easy to get your money back arguing you bought something that wasn’t delivered.

If you thought you were buying FSDBeta, you either got what you ordered or will get it shortly.

When I eventually get FSDBeta for MCU1, it will not be the FSD that I ordered.

Last edited:
I bought something that didn’t exist. It still doesn’t exist. It may never exist. No amount of whining or hand waving will make it exist.

It should be easy to get your money back arguing you bought something that wasn’t delivered.

If you thought you were buying FSDBeta, you either got what you ordered or will get it shortly.

When I eventually get FSDBeta for MCU1, it will not be the FSD that I ordered.
You're in the old-school group where you have a significant claim in a court due to the language used during the ordering process. At a minimum, the language said that Autosteer on City streets was coming by the end of the year instead of "Coming Soon". Find a lawyer and present the information to them - I'm sure you have a case and can get a full refund on your AP/EAP/FSD purchase, and perhaps some bonus money to upgrade the HW, MCU, and Cameras on the car.