Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

frustration with ABC news editorial use of clickbait

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Blue heaven not sure where you're coming from....as an expensive car we pay a lot of tax to purchase, as early adopters we also pay a premium and then on top of this people say we don't pay excise we so should have another tax lumped on us when we're already paying more income tax than most by a long shot.....

I don't receive any hand outs from the government, do those police, nurses, emergency workers, teachers, childcare workers get government help? I have no issue with our welfare system....however if you keep taxing the well off they'll simply take their dollars elsewhere.

I am not rich per se, I work bloody hard for the $'s I have and I also have never received dime from the government...I worked my way through all my education (from 16+ years of age) and fully funded all business ventures I have undertaken by working, some times near around the clock, often for years at a time.....so when knuckle bottom feeders in the government wish to impose yet another tax on me do I arch up, you betcha I do!

Let's tax the overweight, drinkers and smokers for their true cost to the health system shall we? Why stop there, let's increase airline fees base on weight....plain silly, including putting a excise equivalent on EV's...

Last edited:
Reactions: Shock-On-T
I don’t see the level of income tax having anything to do with a road use tax. Somehow roads need to be maintained and improved. For a long time with has been through fuel excise but this does not work for EV’s or even highly fuel efficient cars and an alternative will need to be developed in the next few years. I think planning for a change now is better than surprising the market with a sudden change latter.

In my previous post I mentioned the LCT and Bjorn and others I believe actually approached their local members, to no avail, prior to Tesla delivering the first cars. I don’t have a problem with the fact that current S and X owners have already contributed a lot of tax through LCT and if/when there is a change this being corrected (I fear pigs don’t fly in Canberra though).

EV’s about to be introduced will be below the LCT threshold and these will not pay any road use tax. I am happy for this to be considered an early adopter subsidy but the current S and X owners have had to pay excessive LCT and having a fair and clearly stated policy to replace/enhance the fuel excise/road use tax would be better than the current ‘we know a problem is coming but we can push it till after the next election as not many affordable cars are available.’

I like the S curve shown in this analysis (10:25 slightly tong in cheek;-))

588B030D-2126-49CB-BDBE-21B8566AEEB3.png

I think this will also apply to Australia although maybe a year or two behind given the UK is already a long way in front in terms of infrastructure and EV sales.