Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frozen Washer Fluid—How to Fix on the Road?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got into some very cold weather without thinking to change out my Kristal Klar washer fluid. The system froze up.

I'm on the road (Rock Springs, WY), and don't have access to a warm garage or hair dryer. My plan is to pour hot water over the tubes and reservoir, maybe turkey-baster out the existing fluid. I'll replace it with a winter formula.

Anyone dealt with this and have some Tesla-specific tips? Thanks!

There's no engine to heat up the frunk area like an ICE car. If I were you I'd go find an indoor car wash, let the car warm up for a bit, try to suck out whatever existing fluid, fill the reservoir with -40f fluid (preferably warmed up somehow), and then try to warm up the nozzle with some hot water.

Last edited:
Once upon a year, the SO, a cat, and I were making a major trip away from our usual domicile in the ‘way south territory to somewhere Cold. It started raining, then sleeting, and then we discovered that the windshield reservoir didn’t have the non-freezing stuff.

Major problem. Wasn’t like we could just turn around and go home, and it was another 150 miles or so to go in the dark with salty, dirty slush being thrown up by traffic.

This was back when Sears had large auto departments attached to their anchor stores in large malls. Threw ourselves on the Service Manager’s mercy: Said we’d buy the best windshield washer antifreeze they sold, dump it into the washer tank, and could we please park the car in their service department in the warm? For a half hour, tops, complete with the cat?

He gave us a fishy stare, thinking that maybe we were just looking for a close parking spot. But the filthy windshield, the subcompact loaded to the gills, our young, frustrated demeanor, and maybe the cat convinced him.

He let us leave the car in there while we went into the mall and Found Cocoa. In a half hour the hoses had thawed, we ran them and threw in more low-temp fluid, and all was well. It was a long time ago; I don’t think they charged us.

But big service areas like that aren’t as common as they used to be. Dealers, maybe, but it would be awkward with a Tesla in tow, unless you made it to a Service Center. AAA’s around here have big indoor service areas and might be amenable to the idea. And if you can find somebody’s garage with a door that shuts and a big enough space heater…

Good luck!

Reactions: XPsionic
That's genius, actually! I found a place here that advertises "double heated presoak," and I'll go visit them tomorrow.

Thanks!
I know it's late, but think u could make it there tonight? If not, maybe at least try to fill the reservoir with some -40f fluid right now and hope the fluid diffuses a bit. I'm a little bit worried about permanently damaging components due to ice expansion, it looks pretty cold out where you are tonight.

Reactions: rpiotro
All fixed, at least on the driver side.

I ran Defrost Car for a long time, drove to the hardware store and bought a bunch of supplies, and poured 70% alcohol into the washer fluid reservoir.

Next, I plugged the hotel's hair dryer into the Christmas tree plug, and let the hair dryer go for a while.

20230110_080224.jpg

Soon the washer fluid started flowing, though I think it was only on the driver side. Very hard to tell.

I continued running it until all the fluid was gone, and filled up the reservoir with -30 degree washer fluid.

I'm not sure how much of a difference the hair dryer made, since it seems that the actual washer fluid tank is on the other side of a wall. Perhaps it's in a heated area??

Thanks for all the help!

Reactions: XPsionic