Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Vents Never seem to open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know how to test if the vents are working? Mine never seem to open. When I pulled into my garage yesterday after a 3 hour traffic commute home the car fans went into high. I checked the front "louvers" and they were closed. I also noticed when I was at a supercharger and the fans kicked on high the vents never opened. Any Ideas will be appreciated.

When you first plug in your car at home, the vents should open briefly then close again

If they aren’t doing that, you may have a problem

I actually noticed the same thing on my car a couple of weeks ago at a Supercharger - fans screaming but vents closed. I have had some work done on the car since and am going to see if it still does the same thing, hopefully this weekend

These open under the right circumstances

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    486.6 KB · Views: 436
To my knowledge both side radiators are for for AC cooling only, while the center radiator is for battery cooling. The airflow logic is not that obvious because the side louvres have to close to improve battery cooling over the center radiator (who does not have his own louvres).
I don't have an explanation though for sometimes finding my car with screaming fans while charging under very normal circumstances (medium temperature, 80% SOC, AC charging in a garage).
(2017MS90D 2019.12.1.1 with 50.000km in Austria/Europe)

When you first plug in your car at home, the vents should open briefly then close again

If they aren’t doing that, you may have a problem

I actually noticed the same thing on my car a couple of weeks ago at a Supercharger - fans screaming but vents closed. I have had some work done on the car since and am going to see if it still does the same thing, hopefully this weekend

Yes you were right.. they do open and close when the car is plugged in.. Mine seem to be working but I have never seen them open otherwise. No Idea if I have an issue or not but it seems to me if the car fans are screaming they would be open.

Reactions: richrootes
One side louvers did not open a couple of years ago and I could not supercharge without getting a "reduced cooling" message on the dash. Service had to apply a retrofit kit, now louvers work and no cooling issues while supercharging. Reduced AC output (when not in range mode) may be a symptom of this issue.

• Informative
Reactions: maximizese
Yes you were right.. they do open and close when the car is plugged in.. Mine seem to be working but I have never seen them open otherwise. No Idea if I have an issue or not but it seems to me if the car fans are screaming they would be open.

I noticed the same thing; louvers didn't open at supercharger when I thought they should based on ambient temperatures. When a mobile tech was checking out the car for other concerns I asked him how to verify that the louvers were functioning properly and he connected the computer, ran a thermo test and ensured me they were fine.

Recently I saw the same mobile tech at the supercharger replacing another owners louvers, when tested they turned out to be non-functional. Not sure if there is a way for an owner to check them out, and not sure if you called Tesla if they would be able to determine if they were operational or not.

The fans still do cool noticeably without the louvers opening though; outside air is sucked through the front centre opening of the car, and plenty of warm air is blown through the vents onto the tires. The lower you set the temperature in the car during supercharging the faster the fans spin. And yet I still find that they open and close randomly all on their own, when you least expect they should, like in the middle of the night. (??)

Reactions: jkennebeck
I think I'm having the same issue now. Did anyone else see the ambient temperature quikly get to about 80F with this issue? Temp is fine when I get in to the car then is moves rapidly to 80F. Is this related these front vents?

Anyone know how to test if the vents are working? Mine never seem to open. When I pulled into my garage yesterday after a 3 hour traffic commute home the car fans went into high. I checked the front "louvers" and they were closed. I also noticed when I was at a supercharger and the fans kicked on high the vents never opened. Any Ideas will be appreciated.
Mine have stopped opening too. It doesn't give alerts to tell you that but if you put in Service Mode there are hundreds of alerts that say there is no feedback from left or right vents. When mine are stuck closed my AC cuts out to let the Compressor cool down then the AC comes back on.