Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok..I have the 2018 100d model s.

While parking in my garage I can access the rear and side camera but can not access the front camera.
I’m pretty sure this model has a whole bunch of cameras including front I can see how far I am before I hit the front but not what’s in front of me.
Can’t seem to find the setting anywhere.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Front cameras on your car are AP/FSD-only, in the rearview mirror housing, facing forward with a view through the windshield. There is no “front bumper” camera on Teslas (except anticipated on the Cybertruck) like there is Rivian and other mfrs. The front AP camera(s) video feed goes to the AP computer and is not viewable by you in realtime (unless you’re a hacker like @verygreen). You can view recordings made by one of the front cameras made by Dashcam or Sentry, but only after the recording has been made.
Hope that helps!
Jason

Reactions: DerbyDave
Tesla software can certainly feed front view camera to the screen when the car moves slowly as it enters a parking spot. Very surprising that this simple but highly desirable feature is NOT provided given all hardwares already there.
This feature can also help preventing little children in front of the car from being killed when the car starts moving forward.

Your eyesight just about is as good as the front cameras. Like us, the cameras cannot see directly in front of the car as there is a zone that is not viewable. Those with Ultrasonics may get some indication in the hidden area, but they are not perfect either, with dead zones between the sensors when objects are close to the car. Having a camera view using the upper front cameras is not going to be very useful, and I'm sure that is why Tesla doesn't bother to show it on-screen.

For now I have to use the edge of the left mirror folded when moving in, line it up with the edge of a cabinet !!! This works.
I drove my son's Infinity car in his garage using the front view camera, which also display the guide lines so I can center the car. His garage is tight, only a few inches before hitting the two wooden poles of the shelves. Without the front view camera, it's impossible to park inside.
This is why I posted this. Tesla can do it, why not giving this feature to us,

Reactions: bonkers
For now I have to use the edge of the left mirror folded when moving in, line it up with the edge of a cabinet !!! This works.
I drove my son's Infinity car in his garage using the front view camera, which also display the guide lines so I can center the car. His garage is tight, only a few inches before hitting the two wooden poles of the shelves. Without the front view camera, it's impossible to park inside.
This is why I posted this. Tesla can do it, why not giving this feature to us,
Is the camera on the Infinity in the grill or the front bumper? If so, that is why it is useful. Some people have gone so far as to install wireless bumper cameras with auxillary displays in their consoles to get this view. As @vcor said already, however, the front camera behind the mirror on the Model S wouldn't provide any value as to how close your bumper is to anything; it can't see the front of the bumper. If you have sentry mode you can play back a clip and see just how useless that view would be to place the front of the car.

You could easily argue that the value of a front bumper camera is worth the expense, and that Tesla should include it on a car in this price bracket. I'd agree with this as it may be able to be used to generate a very useful 360 view, but Tesla is not leaving out a useful camera view due to laziness, incompetence, or spite.

You could easily argue that the value of a front bumper camera is worth the expense, and that Tesla should include it on a car in this price bracket. I'd agree with this as it may be able to be used to generate a very useful 360 view, but Tesla is not leaving out a useful camera view due to laziness, incompetence, or spite.
Very good point, admit ignorance on my part.

Is the camera on the Infinity in the grill or the front bumper? If so, that is why it is useful. Some people have gone so far as to install wireless bumper cameras with auxillary displays in their consoles to get this view. As @vcor said already, however, the front camera behind the mirror on the Model S wouldn't provide any value as to how close your bumper is to anything; it can't see the front of the bumper. If you have sentry mode you can play back a clip and see just how useless that view would be to place the front of the car.

Actually, I would say leaving out the camera is incompetence. Just as removing the USS sensors BEFORE there was a workable viable alternative was.

Reactions: teko