Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From 299 to 287?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2020 M3PD+ has less than 4k miles and for the most part I charge it to 80% but last week when I charged it to 100% it only showed 287 miles. Seems like excessive degradation in such a short period of time. Should I have it checked out?

• Funny
Reactions: Mr X
I’m roughly the same boat as you. 2020 p3d+ got in December. I don’t drive mine long distances and since COVID/working from home don’t drive much anymore. i charge to 80% and keep it plugged in. I think it’s not real degradation and if you took some long trips the battery will recalculate.

Hey, congrats on your new cars, take a read in the Battery section I've linked below. In the end you'll realize (in my opinion) that you should set the range to % and stop thinking about it. Pick a charge % between 50-90% and just enjoy driving the car. Updates/weather/football team/day of the month/etc... will effect the range by +/- few and Tesla will tell you to kick rocks until you're no longer getting at least 70% of the original capacity so yeah nothing to worry about. I would highly recommend ******** *** ***** **** though, that really helped keep my range up : )

Model 3: Battery & Charging

• Funny
Reactions: Mr X
My 2020 M3PD+ has less than 4k miles and for the most part I charge it to 80% but last week when I charged it to 100% it only showed 287 miles. Seems like excessive degradation in such a short period of time. Should I have it checked out?

Not unless you want to waste time with tesla canceling your appointment and telling you that everything is within spec. There is zero chance that your car actually makes it to any service appointment you make about a 12 mile loss in range without tesla canceling the appointment (because there is nothing wrong with it).

There’s an algorithm the car uses to calculate, including your driving style. It’s an accurate assessment by any means.

Whatever the rated was at 100% the day it came off the lot, was very unlikely. That number is what the cars EPA is, not what it will actually do.

If you live in a climate where it gets cold, expect the number to drop for the next several months, and then it will climb again.

Same occurs depending on your tire pressure.

As others have mentioned, set your battery indicator to % instead of miles remaining. You will keep from pulling all your hair out.

Enjoy the car, it’s lots of fun!

ps, I’ve leaned that if your in a cooler climate, set your state of charge a little lower if you don’t really need much on a daily basis. It’s much quicker to condition the batteries before driving if there’s more room in the batteries. The downside, however, lose out on the slightly “hyperactive” feeling the car has at higher charge rates.

I was just curious more than worried. I drive less than 30 miles a day so range is never a problem. Thanks for the replies.

Looking at your signature, I am going to assume you are using the model 3 as your commuter, and your P car as your weekend car. I am also going to make an assumption that you are charging to 80% because of something you read here at one time or another about it being "better".

You could try setting your charge percentage to 90% and leaving it there, and seeing if the number on the screen improves over time (as in over a week or two not a day or two. Its unlikely that the entire 12 miles is lost, but as you mention it also doesnt make a difference in your daily commute.

80% charge is "a little" more healthy for the battery than 90%, but how much we dont know (as in, is it 2 miles better after 4 years? Is it 5 miles better after 4 years? 10? 1? we dont know. We know its very slightly better, but really not enough for it to matter a ton to most.

The number on the screen is a guess from the cars computer, thats all it is, based on what it is seeing. It can sometimes get confused. Read the first post in the following thread (the thread goes off tangent like most battery threads here after a while, but just read the first one) for a tip. How I Recovered Half of my Battery's Lost Capacity

• Informative
Reactions: Matsayz and KerryOH
Looking at your signature, I am going to assume you are using the model 3 as your commuter, and your P car as your weekend car. I am also going to make an assumption that you are charging to 80% because of something you read here at one time or another about it being "better".

You could try setting your charge percentage to 90% and leaving it there, and seeing if the number on the screen improves over time (as in over a week or two not a day or two. Its unlikely that the entire 12 miles is lost, but as you mention it also doesnt make a difference in your daily commute.

80% charge is "a little" more healthy for the battery than 90%, but how much we dont know (as in, is it 2 miles better after 4 years? Is it 5 miles better after 4 years? 10? 1? we dont know. We know its very slightly better, but really not enough for it to matter a ton to most.

The number on the screen is a guess from the cars computer, thats all it is, based on what it is seeing. It can sometimes get confused. Read the first post in the following thread (the thread goes off tangent like most battery threads here after a while, but just read the first one) for a tip. How I Recovered Half of my Battery's Lost Capacity

Your assumptions are correct on all counts. I will give it a try and see what happens. Thanks!

I'm at 40,000 miles and had Tesla check it out only because I'm getting a door aligned under warranty. I've always used percent mode and don't worry about max range. Mine has dropped fro 310 to 282 since Sep 2018, and wanted to make sure there were no issues with the traction battery. The battery health check came back with no problem codes, so end of story for me. Back to enjoying the car.
All things are relative...our MX 75D is down to 210 miles at 100%, so the M3 seems like a long range champ.