Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Destination Charging: 50x L2 80A Stations @ Caltech, Pasadena, CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume you installed your own hardware in the CC stations to measure power, override pilot signal, and take care of all the communications. Then implemented the local 'load management controller'. Or did you work with CC to develop some custom firmware and hardware?

Going well! We've been busy commercializing the technology...we are up to 60+ stations with OpenEVSE, ClipperCreek, and Aerovironment in the mix. Also, we will be diving in to DCFC very soon.

So you're not the "World's Largest". Sounds like failure to me. :) Is there a fancy, public web site with real-time status?

I see you are in Cupertino, we have a couple new 30+ deployments in the bay area coming online this month.

I'm not aware of any Bay Area extensions of Caltech (although I've been wondering about that "Los Altos / San Marino" thing). So who's "we" at this point?

(Techer, Bay Area resident, Tesla owner)

I only live a few miles away from CalTech so I had the pleasure and privilege of checking out @MITE46's magnificent project with my family yesterday in our LEAF. When we arrived, it was late in the day but the location where the EVSE's are located within the parking structure combined with the wide array of vehicles plugged in made the whole thing take on the air of an EV art installation, LOL! Here's a current screen grab from the live web cam; sort of a blank canvas if I may...

caltech-0647.jpeg

Now imagine those parking spaces filled with every imaginable make and model of EV: Model S, Model X, Bolt, Volt, LEAF, i3, Focus, Fiat 500e, etc. all spread out through the stalls shown. It was truly an inspirational moment.

My only petty complaint is that the selection list of Tesla vehicles does NOT include the Roadster (which should be the first car on the list)! @MITE46, what say you :)?

IMG_6830a.jpg

80A cable assemblies are from Tony@QuickChargePower.
I'll leave it to MITE46 to confirm but assuming @TonyWilliams/QCP provided the full assemblies including the plugs, they're 50A Dorstar as noted here.

BTW, I was charging last month and saved the live cam feed image below to help evangelize EV adoption to co-workers and illustrate how majestic this particular EV watering hole is when close to capacity. I'd like to, once again, commend MITE46 for his work on this project. Keep in mind you're only seeing half of the parking space allocated to EVs!

@MITE46, is another camera being planned for the eastern end of the garage basement where the ClipperCreek EVSEs are located?

caltech.jpg

Last edited:
Charged here twice over Alumni Reunion weekend. Worked perfectly.

Charging to 100% the car showed 259 range, something I haven't seen in a long time. It's usually not willing to read over 257, both at home and at superchargers. Is the charging here special in some way?

You_Doodle_2017-05-22T02_31_31Z.jpg
I'll leave it to MITE46 to confirm but assuming @TonyWilliams/QCP provided the full assemblies including the plugs, they're 50A Dorstar as noted here.]

Yes, Quick Charge Power supplied the 80 amp cable / plug assemblies. No, they are not 50 amp assemblies.

These are different than the 80 amp J1772 plug / cable assemblies that we build for J-Wall and other applications. The approximate 60 cables that we supplied to this project are unique.

I used one of these for the first time yesterday, during the 80th annual Cal Tech reunion.

Last edited:
Going well! We've been busy commercializing the technology...we are up to 60+ stations with OpenEVSE, ClipperCreek, and Aerovironment in the mix. Also, we will be diving in to DCFC very soon.

I see you are in Cupertino, we have a couple new 30+ deployments in the bay area coming online this month.
Where in Cupertino is this located?
It's an amazing work you guys did there!

• Funny
Reactions: brkaus