Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For TeslaCam and USB Audio, is it better to have one drive with 2 partitions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just preparing everything before delivery day and trying to figure out the best way to dock my phone and also have USB audio and TeslaCam. is it better to setup a USB hub for this and have separate USB drives for USB audio and Tesla Cam or just partition one drive to support both?

Easier to use two drives. A single drive must be formatted with two partitions. The instructions are on TMC somewhere. A single drive with a single partition will be used for cam only, media will be ignored. Mainly, the two partition single USB drive saves you a USB port.

You can get a mini USB hub to gain more USB ports, or use a splitter cable that can supply power-only to one device and normal data connection to a second.

I use a two partition single USB drive (128GB) for cam and media, leaving the second USB port for phone charging.

I also use a two partition single USB drive (128GB) for cam (32gb) and media (96gb), leaving the second USB port for phone charging. Partitioning a usb drive on a win10 computer is much simpler than the prior thread posts about how to do it (win7 doesn't recognize second partition on a usb or removable drive). Those writeups were great, and helped me, but I found that with a simple free download partition app, on win10, it was super quick and simple. MiniTool Partition Wizard Free 11.01, using the Disk & Partition Management feature -- available at partitionwizard.com

• Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
I am a member of the 2 partition club. I use the other USB port for my phone dock. I decided to partition instead of getting a USB hub because my drive was large enough for my needs.

If you use a MAC there is an easy way to use terminal do partition the drive. The first step verifies the disk number the USB was assigned, normally disk2, the second line does the partition. Very quick, very easy. However, like a lot of partition commands you want to do this on a blank drive since the data will be lost. There are programs that will allow for partitioning a drive and keeping the data.

Use the terminal.

At the command prompt type:
diskutil list (verify the disk number the USB was assigned)

diskutil partitionDisk disk2 2 GPT FAT32 MUSIC 80% FAT32 TESLACAM 20%

Use any percentage you want as long as they equal 100%.

I also use a two partition single USB drive (128GB) for cam (32gb) and media (96gb), leaving the second USB port for phone charging. Partitioning a usb drive on a win10 computer is much simpler than the prior thread posts about how to do it (win7 doesn't recognize second partition on a usb or removable drive). Those writeups were great, and helped me, but I found that with a simple free download partition app, on win10, it was super quick and simple. MiniTool Partition Wizard Free 11.01, using the Disk & Partition Management feature -- available at partitionwizard.com

Can you not create the multiple partitions on a drive with Windows 10 Disc Manager?

I want to try the two partition approach for the Dash Cam and USB Audio Media. What partition type should be created for this to work? Is it a simple matter of creating two FAT 32 partitions with the correct partition names?

Last edited:
PhilDavid - I believe that the Win10 disc manager cannot partition removable usb drives to fat32 over, I think 32gb? Only other file format structures. So a simple third-party program is needed. The MiniTool I listed was recommended by someone much more knowledgable than me, who posted about this topic in a detailed thread. Simply create two partitions, both as primary drive types. Create one partition first to the size you want allocated, as a fat32 format, and it creates a partition leaving the remaining space for the second one. Then format the remaining space as the second partition. The program is very simple. I just did this over the last weekend.

• Helpful
Reactions: PhilDavid and DCEV