Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flickering Reverse light on original hitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2022 MY with the original Tow Hitch from Tesla. This is the first time I use it.

I get running lights and indicators connected to the 7-blade connector work without flickering... BUT... the LEDs that I connect to the back-up/reverse light connector on the tow hitch (#2 purple shade below) systematically blinks for about every 3 seconds when reverse is disengaged (most of the time). When I turn Reverse shift, LED lights up as intended.

Screen Shot 2023-12-13 at 5.06.15 PM.png

I have done troubleshooting and tried multiple different plug connectors, cables and LEDs set ups. Pretty certain the issue is on the car end as the issue is repeatedly found across different testing using external gear.

I can't help to wonder if this is a common issue in Tesla's or MY's???

Reading across the internet, I come up with a couple of paths to explore:
  1. Add a relay or resistor that neutralizes the flickering / blinking pulse and still allows for the light to turn on when reverse is actually engaged. Not sure if this is possible, I don't know much about electronics.
  2. Add a CURT 57003 LED-Compatible 7-Way RV Blade Vehicle-Side Trailer Wiring Adapter (link) in case it's an issue where the power from LEDs is too little for the reverse circuit.

Thanks in advance