Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Eco-Chic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Maybe they have had prototypes already running durability tests for a while now?"

Unlikely.

With as much preparation and fanfare they built up to debut at the Detroit auto show and the website, they would put the best and most complete car in front of the public and press.

If they had a working car they would have said. If they had a working car it would have been there. The debut publicity is more important than testing. Tesla did it.

It's all the references to "claims" what the car "will do" in future tense. Plus there is no video or photographs of it running, or shots under the hood, no illustrations of an exploded view, no cutaway or even a simple block diagram, just Henrik's description in the video. No way this car works. I bet they were still attaching parts to the prototype when it was being unpacked at the show.

Future talk here: Top 10 ConceptsÂ*- 2008 Detroit Auto Show - MSN Autos

Here they say "goal": 2008 Detroit Auto Show: 2010 Fisker Karma

Other Karma bits:

dan neil on the Karma (smacks on that grill):
Los Angeles Times: New Car News : Buzzworthy products, events and technology

more pics
Detroit 2008: Fisker Karma draws a crowd, impresses - Autoblog

kinda looks like http://www.shorey.net/Auto/American/Chrysler/199x%20Chrysler%20300%20Concept%20Car%20Frt%20Qtr.jpg

ny times brief
Fisker Karma - Detroit Auto Show - Fisker, a Little Company With Big Dreams - New York Times

still more pics
KickingTires: 2008 Detroit Auto Show: Fisker Karma Plug-In Hybrid

invester info:
Detroit Auto Show: The Jalopnik 2008 Detroit Auto Show Automaker Report Card

They did talk about how it sounds when running in sport mode (having the ICE & eMotor running at the same time), so it sound like they have some sort of prototype running. Also Quantum has been doing related projects for a while now, so I bet much of the drivetrain is already pre-proven in other models (some of them secret military vehicles).

From all the pics I didn't see any telltales signs that it was unfinished. Sure they didn't show anything under the hood, but the rest of the car looks like a ready to go, complete product.

I'm a little surprised they haven't taken the Tesla model of "transparency" simply for the marketing aspect. If they are truly far enough along to be taking orders, why not have the blogs, forums, etc.?

In this new economy of selling cars on the Internet, why not? Plus People are so mad at Tesla for their treatment of the founders (inter alia), I think they could steal Tesla's thunder b/c this is the Whitestar.

"From all the pics I didn't see any telltales signs that it was unfinished. Sure they didn't show anything under the hood, but the rest of the car looks like a ready to go, complete product."

I agree. I strained to find anything "muleish" in the pics and video with no success.

But then, that's what Henrik does, isn't it?

:wink:

Daryl confirms (but):

(Fisker) is already quoting a price and taking reservations on a car that isn't even in drivable prototype phase.

...The car is not a driver and has not been validated or tested yet. Designing and integrating the battery pack alone is going to be a very big undertaking...

He points out it's even worse since this design is "locked" and that now the powertrain designers have to fit everything in.

In the Henrik interview at 10:10 he says he's driven a prototype.

So we are both right. This one does not work and they do have some sort of prototype running.

Horseless Age: Fisker Automotive

Last edited:
Another thing worth pointing out is Tesla's choice to show the Roadster at a drive/party event ignoring a debut at a traditional cars show in LA or Detroit.

I belive Martin's timeline speech hints they were about to be outed anyway (Martin can you confirm?) but Tesla still only attends shows when they can get free booth space from suppliers.

Fisker's Detroit booth was probably $100K+

The Tesla event was probably less but they were also giving rides at 100mph.

Last edited:
Yeah, I recall (but don't remember where) reading that Telsa forced the roadster intro a bit sooner than intended. Still, they did have the sneak peek in "Who Killed the Electric Car", so they were already starting to let the "cat out of the bag" on their own.

To this day, I am still amazed at the big names they had at the intro party. I wonder how they managed such a guest list. Someone big in Hollywood must have been in the know ahead of time.

Last edited:
VFX, thanks for pointing out Daryl's blog.

It makes me conclude two things I wasn't sure about:

#1: Tesla isn't likely helping Fisker in any way.
#2: Whitestar project is still alive (contrary to the ugly rumors).

I agree. I strained to find anything "muleish" in the pics and video with no success.

But then, that's what Henrik does, isn't it?

:wink:

It's a beautiful car, I would even say moreso than the Tesla Roadster. . . . except for the front grille. Some have compared it to a handlebar mustache, some have compared it to the Joker's demented grin.

The funniest comment I saw was: "A sports car should look like a shark, not a whale. You could filter a lot of krill with that grille."

Does it even make sense for a green car, an efficient car, to have a front grille? Isn't it just a shiny affectation that adds weight and disrupts the air flow?

It's a beautiful car, I would even say moreso than the Tesla Roadster. . . . except for the front grille. Some have compared it to a handlebar mustache, some have compared it to the Joker's demented grin.

Multiple articles have said it looks like it has a "Cheshire cat" grin.

s-cheshire-cat-blotter-art.jpg.w300h300.jpg
Untitledy.jpg

9080111.014.Mini3L.jpg

Here, they say "...what's with that grille? This unusually lovely four-seater sports a hideous rictus of aluminum. The car looks as if it has been huffing nitrogen oxide. Easily fixed, a company investor confided, and soon will be."...

Glad to hear that they are open to changing the grill style. With the correct grill style the exterior would truly be a thing of beauty.

I still have have some reservations on the 80's SciFi instrumentation though. What are others thoughts on this?

1037big.jpg

I still have have some reservations on the 80's SciFi instrumentation though. What are others thoughts on this?

I sortof like it. I suppose I could do without all those chrome circles.
The multi-color EL bar graphs seem workable, but there are certainly other interiors I like more.

You might want to revisit the Whitestar dashboard thread. The Nissan GT-R and Lexus IS300 dashboards are more "my cup of tea".

Brushed aluminum can get really hot if in the sunlight. I hope they don't have a problem with that.

I have seen some new phones with touch-screen buttons. They have the phone momentarily vibrate each time a button press is accepted. There may be ways from vibrations to beeps to let you know that you are hitting the correct controls. I can't tell from the pictures if it would be acceptable to use or not. I think we would need to try it in person to know how well it works.