Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First worries about the Model 3 - interior size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I expect the footprint of the Model 3 will be about the same as the BMW 3 series (which is almost exactly 20% smaller than the Model S). My SO has a Subaru Impreza which has the same footprint as the BMW 3 Series but it's a hatchback. I'm 6'2" and all my height is in my legs. I have a terrible time finding cars with enough legroom. The Impreza is just under right for me, but it's better for short trips (under 2 hours) than her 1996 Outback which was a little bigger. The Model S has the same footprint as my 1992 Buick, but it's capacity is much more than the Buick. By putting most of the drive train on the axles, Tesla freed up a lot of space that is used for propulsion gear on ICE cars. Something traditional car makers have not figured out yet.

With the car being overall smaller and it's doubtful Tesla can shrink the entire drive system by 20% too, the Model 3 will probably have a bit higher percentage of space reserved for the drive mechanisms, batteries, chargers, etc. than the Model S/X, but I expect the space will likely be better utilized than other EVs or ICE cars. I have seen some speculation that the Model 3 might have the footprint of a compact car, but be classified as a midsized car because the definition is determined by passenger compartment volume. Midsized cars are the best selling car segment in the passenger car market (though I think SUVs and trucks sell better overall in the US), so it would be to Teslas advantage to produce a midsized car next.

I'm not worried, plenty of space in my old smart car, even more space in my Leaf.

If you've ever seen a smart, Fit or Prius C gobble up all cargo in sight, you would know that looks can be deceiving and it's more about the design than the size.

I personally hope it has a small footprint, I hate parking larger cars and their Model Y always could be something for people wanting a larger vehicle.

Exactly. Why on Earth are people worrying about things without anything to go on yet? Wait until we have some information then start worrying.
We have information...
At 6'1" I can get in/out of my LEAF with ease, my wife's MS not so much.
Almost everytime I've sat in in the driver's seat of an MS at the gallery, my head has been scraping the ceiling, so hearing a car is 20% smaller is quite frightful. Might be nice for those that can simply check the box without reading it, but what could you prioritize above physically fitting?

We have information...

Almost everytime I've sat in in the driver's seat of an MS at the gallery, my head has been scraping the ceiling, so hearing a car is 20% smaller is quite frightful. Might be nice for those that can simply check the box without reading it, but what could you prioritize above physically fitting?
No, you have one vague factoid, and a whole lot of speculation based on that one factoid.

I have a similar concern. As a performing classical musician, any car I ever purchase will have to pass what I call the "cello test." That is, I have to be able to easily fit my cello into the car, preferably in the back seat. For reference, my current daily driver is a 2002 Saturn SL2, and it barely passes the test - it's just barely wide enough for me to slip the cello into the back seat, but it does fit so the test is passed.

For the Model 3, I will probably (but not definitely) be willing to put down a deposit before the cars are shipping, but I won't be willing to confirm any order until I can give it the cello test. My instinct (which could prove wrong) is that the Model 3 will be similar in size to my Saturn, which means it will probably pass the test. I will still need to check to be sure.

In 2 or 3 years, don't be surprised if I'm on the Mountain/Southwest forum asking if any local owners of the Model 3 are willing to let me check out the interior size in relation to my cello!

I have a similar method. I have the "snowboard test". That is, I have to be able to fold down a seat and be able to slide my 160cm snowboard in from the trunk and it can't be jammed up against the back of the drivers/passenger's seat and have the trunk shut properly :)

The Chevy Volt (2015)sadly didn't fare as well as my Lancer, and the rear legroom was awful. Here's to hoping that the Model 3 passes the back seat/trunk test (and that folding seats come standard!!).

Now now.... I'm the one who started this. It's not a "complaint" - it's a "concern".

I'm more concerned with interior size than exterior size. When I bought my Intrepid (large car), I was really looking for a Stratus (mid size) but there was nothing "just right". I bought the Intrepid because I could afford it and it was optioned the way I liked. (Full disclosure - I was looking at used cars). The difference in price was a couple thousand either way. I finally "settled" on the larger car because it had what I wanted on the inside, even though it was larger, which was easy to justify since there were still 4 of us in the family and we took a lot of road trips (though we more often used the Caravan for those).

Now it's just me and my wife and my mid-size Camry is "just right". I'm not driving around a overly-empty 22mpg beast as I now average about 30mpg.

With Tesla, the difference in price isn't a couple thousand - it starts at over $30K between the 3 and the S. That's a HUGE leap. Now, if I was looking at a well-optioned '3' for $47K and a reasonably-optioned 'S' at $55K, then I might make the leap as the difference in electrical consumption probably won't be that bad. But, then, you get into service costs - and we don't know what the annual service will cost for a '3'. And the tires... Call me a cheapskate but I would have a hard time justifying the kinds of prices they want for the Model S tires - and with a car that heavy, you go through tires quicker. I'm hoping there will be a more "normal" selection of wheels/tires on the '3'. It's like when I saw this GORGEOUS used Mercedes for sale on a lot near home. I could definitely afford the sale price. I could BARELY afford the fuel costs. What I could NOT afford was the service and repair costs..

I'm still sold on the Model 3. I'm optimistic that the interior layout will NOT be Corolla-esque. (But I can clearly 'feel' how the touchscreen might have to go down to 15" - I have a 12" iPad Pro and that seems huge)

A Smart Car can carry more stuff than a Hummer.
"This thing is so big, GM doesn't even make them anymore!" Some automotive expert. The H1 was never made by GM; it was always made by AM General, even after they sold the Hummer brand to GM.

And I won't even mention the apples-to-oranges comparison of how much fully assembled furniture you can fit in an H1 vs how much broken down, boxed Ikea furniture you can put in a Smart...:rolleyes: