Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Tesla purchase turning sour.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. Why aren't I getting email notifications of replies here. I just randomly checked my post and see twenty replies.

2. Auction put it on the charger so I checked out the car Friday and drove it around the lot. Works fine, no funny noises or warning messages, a/c cold. Pretty relieved to find that. I think I saw something in the front display about it being a 60 model and in the center display saying something like, Your subscription has expired. Maybe referring to Tesla charging? Anyway, I'll bring it home next week and take a closer look. Does leaving the key fob in the car keep everything awake and drain the battery? I took it with me. Anyway, the range meter read 140 miles and almost full. That normal?

3. I haven't paid much attention to Tesla prices but don't think I've seen S models much below $20K, so I jumped on this one thinking it's a good deal. Plus, with the 30% rebate to the person I sell it to, it should be a great deal. Miles don't bother me, I have now and have previously had 300-500K mile cars.

The 60kWh battery Model S had Supercharging as a paid option. It was $2000 extra if purchased when you first got the car, or $2500 later, for unlimited Supercharging. The 85kWh and above cars included Supercharging. That may be the "Subscription Expired" message you saw.
Maybe with opening up Superchargers to other cars, you might be able to do paid Supercharging. Some 60kWh batteries could have a paid upgrade to 85kWh, since it was just a software limitation.
The people that are posting about battery warranties, may be unaware, for a long time, Model S had an 8 year Unlimited mileage warranty on the battery and drive motor.

Ok, I'd think email notification would be the default, or it is on most forums I've joined. I mean, wouldn't you wan't to know if someone made a reply to something you posted?

If you are an occasional forumer, email notifications is good.

However, you'll understand if you are active in a forum and get hundreds of email notifications several times a day.

Reactions: brainhouston
S60s had a rated range of 208 when new, 140 now is pretty bad. The 60 batteries were crap. Between that and the issues surrounding Supercharging, I wouldn't touch a 60 for any price.
I read the Car and Driver road test, https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15108049/2014-tesla-model-s-60-full-test-review/ specifically where it says,

When we tested the top-of-the-line Signature Performance (P85) Model S in 2012, we managed to drive 211 miles on a completely charged battery. This 60-kWh car did 164 miles.

So more than 10 year later, 140 miles doesn't seem too bad.

Reactions: Gumball and SigNC
Bought a nice looking 2013 Model S with 140,000 miles today for under $9k at auction. It was sold with an auction guaranty to be free of major defects. I go to test drive it and its in a reduced power mode and there are messages to get it charged immediately. I'm able to limp it to the charger at the auction going 5 mph. Of course they are occupied and it's after 3 pm now. You have until 5 pm to submit a claim, but it will be a few hours before it's charged up enough so I can even take it for a drive. I was able to convince a manager of the issue, that I can't even drive it, and she said that after it's charged in the morning, they will check it out and go from there.

Ideally, the seller brought the car there without enough charge, and all it needs is recharging and then it will show there is no problem. I can't fathom anyone bringing a car in like that to sell. My pessimistic thoughts say there is something wrong with the battery or electronics on the car. What's the track record of these early Teslas? I have always read on the internet that the batteries are good for at least 20 years or more and the car should be able to go over 500,000 miles on the original battery. Any early Tesla owners here with insight?

View attachment 1041091
For 9k you should fully expect the car to need a new battery soon. At least you can get the car running for quite some time with a refurbished battery

HAHA. You would have to make posts in hundreds of threads several times a day for that to happen. Your post count of 13,000 over the last 12 years says you make an average of 3 posts a day.
off topic but i don't think u understand how it works...
u don't need to post in a thread to watch it
if u watch 100 threads u'll get 100 emails at least once depending on when u look at them...
for very old/inactive threads, email option makes sense, for others it doesn't if ur active on forum (hence the default)
obviously if ur ok with bunch of emails each day the go for it
only benefit of email is if u want a copy of reply (in case its edited, deleted, etc)
but even then u only get one notification until u check that thread...

u don't need to post in a thread to watch it
if u watch 100 threads u'll get 100 emails at least once depending on when u look at them...
What do you mean by watch? I've been online since the 90's. Have joined at least 500 forums if not closer to 1000. I never get an email notification unless it's a thread I've posted in or created. And only one email notification at a time until I go to that post. i.e. If I don't go to that post I don't get any further notifications. There may be 20 more replies but I don't get 20 more emails about it, just one until I visit the post.

I read the Car and Driver road test, https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15108049/2014-tesla-model-s-60-full-test-review/ specifically where it says,

When we tested the top-of-the-line Signature Performance (P85) Model S in 2012, we managed to drive 211 miles on a completely charged battery. This 60-kWh car did 164 miles.

So more than 10 year later, 140 miles doesn't seem too bad.
You can't compare that 164 "actual" miles to 140 "rated".
That 164 miles of actual range is out of a new car rated range of 208. If your car is showing 140 rated then your actual is only going to be less than 100.

Reactions: ucmndd
You can't compare that 164 "actual" miles to 140 "rated".
That 164 miles of actual range is out of a new car rated range of 208. If your car is showing 140 rated then your actual is only going to be less than 100.
I'm saying that the car is rated for going 208 miles and C&D found the range as 164 miles when new. So my car is also rated for 208 miles but instead of going 164 miles will go 140 miles 10 years later.