Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Day Towing review.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXLRplus

Mar 11, 2020
Eastvale, CA
I started out light, probably 800lb: A heavy duty motorcycle trailer, and one motorcycle. I only went 50 miles, averaged 360 Wh/mi, at 55-65 mph.

Love the rear camera, you can truly line up the ball with it. However, the fisheye effect made it look like the bike was leaning over. Still great.
Very easy to hook up trailer once you've removed the plastic panel and installed the receiver per Tesla's almost correct instructions. The safety chain loops are a bit of a pain. You'll want to lay on the ground to do the hookup.
The 7-pin cover door has a heavy spring and points downward. There is not a 4/5 pin hookup or adapter, go buy one if you don't have one.
The receiver height is unusually low, so you will probably want build a ball bar just for your Tesla. I'll set up a 2" drop bar, but flip it upside down so it raises it up. I used a "neutral" bar that I had, which is no drop.
Obviously the Model X has tons of torque, so you don't even feel 800 lbs. I doubt that 5000 lb would slow it down too much.

Minor bugs? Only two. There is very little soundproofing in a Tesla. You will want your rear seats in the Up position, with your subfloor filled with something like pillows? It's really, really noisy.
It doesn't know you've plugged in your trailer, you need to select towing mode if you want to follow instructions which is buried in a nested tree structure, not just a button on your stalk.

While these points sound nit picky, they are not in 2020. Tow vehicles have come a very long way recently. Pretty much all tow vehicles have great rear cameras, 4/5/7 pin connections, built-in electric brake controller, a simple button to turn on and off Tow Mode, and they have sound proofing.

I give it a C for now which is neither good or bad. I'll tow heavier later on.
Tesla towing.JPG

Welcome to the towing club! From day one I’ve been using the GEN-Y hitch. Really takes the beating off the air suspension on ruff roads. I don’t tow more than 60miles locally so the range is fine, I don’t drive faster than 50mph. Anything faster say goodbye to your range.

Attachments

• 08A72F86-BED8-4C10-872F-4A47D2A04363.jpeg
    08A72F86-BED8-4C10-872F-4A47D2A04363.jpeg
    530.4 KB · Views: 70
I started out light, probably 800lb: A heavy duty motorcycle trailer, and one motorcycle. I only went 50 miles, averaged 360 Wh/mi, at 55-65 mph.

Love the rear camera, you can truly line up the ball with it. However, the fisheye effect made it look like the bike was leaning over. Still great.
Very easy to hook up trailer once you've removed the plastic panel and installed the receiver per Tesla's almost correct instructions. The safety chain loops are a bit of a pain. You'll want to lay on the ground to do the hookup.
The 7-pin cover door has a heavy spring and points downward. There is not a 4/5 pin hookup or adapter, go buy one if you don't have one.
The receiver height is unusually low, so you will probably want build a ball bar just for your Tesla. I'll set up a 2" drop bar, but flip it upside down so it raises it up. I used a "neutral" bar that I had, which is no drop.
Obviously the Model X has tons of torque, so you don't even feel 800 lbs. I doubt that 5000 lb would slow it down too much.

Minor bugs? Only two. There is very little soundproofing in a Tesla. You will want your rear seats in the Up position, with your subfloor filled with something like pillows? It's really, really noisy.
It doesn't know you've plugged in your trailer, you need to select towing mode if you want to follow instructions which is buried in a nested tree structure, not just a button on your stalk.

While these points sound nit picky, they are not in 2020. Tow vehicles have come a very long way recently. Pretty much all tow vehicles have great rear cameras, 4/5/7 pin connections, built-in electric brake controller, a simple button to turn on and off Tow Mode, and they have sound proofing.

I give it a C for now which is neither good or bad. I'll tow heavier later on.
View attachment 540159

I can finally hook power and chains without laying on the ground.

Tesla MX „really, really noisy“? Little soundproofing? Dude you are nuts. It‘s one of the quietest cars on the market. You miss that roaring ICE engine which drowns out everything.

Also, the MX is not marketed/targeted as a „towing vehicle“. It‘s a family car that „can tow“. And what is so difficult about activating tow mode? Tip tip on the screen and it‘s done. No need to even read a manual.

Tesla MX „really, really noisy“? Little soundproofing? Dude you are nuts. It‘s one of the quietest cars on the market. You miss that roaring ICE engine which drowns out everything.

Also, the MX is not marketed/targeted as a „towing vehicle“. It‘s a family car that „can tow“. And what is so difficult about activating tow mode? Tip tip on the screen and it‘s done. No need to even read a manual.

I tow a utility trailer around 2-3 x a year, to my recollection I thought my car automatically went into tow mode once pins were connected?

I tow a utility trailer around 2-3 x a year, to my recollection I thought my car automatically went into tow mode once pins were connected?
You’re correct....previously this was the case. The last few updates have removed the MX going into tow mode whenever the pins were connected at the harness. We also had the option to use autopilot while towing, that bug has since been fixed.

Reactions: MXLRplus
Really wish we could use basic AP while towing. Without auto lane change.

I guess that is a lot to ask for. Trailers can have al kinds of effects on the car (crosswind, bumpy surfaces etc.) and I guess it would require a lot of AI training, resulting in some "super anti-sway mode" to be able to cope with the many "corner cases" trailers can cause.

Btw, going into tow mode automatically (as AvengerBB describes) might only work if the trailer can give some type of feedback, letting the car know that's it's hooked up. It would be interesting to know the differences in pin layout and active pins of your and AvengerBB's trailers.

I’m going to be selling my truck (in anticipation of the Cybertruck) so will be taking my truck to the service center for a hitch install on my X. I have a light weight aluminum trailer that I use for occasionally hauling a motorcycle to a shop for service. I’ve been saying for a while that Tesla will need to reconfigure the Super Chargers in anticipation of the Cybertruck. Trucks are often used for towing and NO ONE will want to spend 20 minutes dropping a trailer to back into a charger then another 20 minutes hooking it back up.

I guess that is a lot to ask for. Trailers can have al kinds of effects on the car (crosswind, bumpy surfaces etc.) and I guess it would require a lot of AI training, resulting in some "super anti-sway mode" to be able to cope with the many "corner cases" trailers can cause.

Btw, going into tow mode automatically (as AvengerBB describes) might only work if the trailer can give some type of feedback, letting the car know that's it's hooked up. It would be interesting to know the differences in pin layout and active pins of your and AvengerBB's trailers.
Yes LED lights don’t give much of a load to trigger the MX to go into tow mode automatically, you can buy an adapter that creates a bit of resistance to be be detected.