Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First day of my 12.24 kW install!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the things the lead installer said is Tesla will have the installer come out ahead of time and walk the job with the homeowner if requested. I wish I had known that.

Is it standard to run conduit on the exterior from the combiner box all the way to the inverter on the outside??? Not only will that look awful in my case but the section of panels on the opposite side of the house from where the inverter is going would only required a 50 foot conduit run in the attic but on the outside it will be close to 160 feet.

Has anyone read of instances where rats/mice chew on the solar wiring or elements as they do on wiring in auto chassis or undercarriage?

We had rats chew through PEX plumbing pipes which caused a leak in our attic and water dripping through the ceiling. Luckily it came through a smoke detector and did not damage the sheetrock ceiling!
We have a bi monthly pest contract and we cut the trees back from the roofline but they had found a small void around the AC ducting into the stucco. Thinking of getting the poison boxes from the pest control company if available. I think the boxes are available on Amazon and some poisons as well , but probably not as effective as the pros use. Our company set traps in the attic with my peanut butter which he said was better than his bait.

We used to get rats and mice in our roof. The construction left 30+ small openings that took several years to track down and seal up. Plus none of the vents in the roof were screened. Now they they are. It's been over 2 years since I had a rat or mouse in the attic. I still have the cameras up there on the slightest motion activation in blue iris and notifications. The only time I get notified now is when I'm up in the attic myself.

The best way to prevent it from the start is if you're having your own home built and make sure there's nothing bigger than a pencil opening BEFORE the roofing paper goes on. You'd be shocked how many gaps, at elevation overlaps, there are in the roof that can be seen before roofing paper is put on.

Reactions: LadyLion
We used to get rats and mice in our roof. The construction left 30+ small openings that took several years to track down and seal up. Plus none of the vents in the roof were screened. Now they they are. It's been over 2 years since I had a rat or mouse in the attic. I still have the cameras up there on the slightest motion activation in blue iris and notifications. The only time I get notified now is when I'm up in the attic myself.

The best way to prevent it from the start is if you're having your own home built and make sure there's nothing bigger than a pencil opening BEFORE the roofing paper goes on. You'd be shocked how many gaps, at elevation overlaps, there are in the roof that can be seen before roofing paper is put on.

Thank you for your advice 're voids. Our pest company did close some voids with spiked, barbed razor sharp wire mesh. We live near a creek which is an attraction. Did you try poison to reduce the population? I found some poison on Amazon described as similar to what the pros use with bait station containers by Tomcat. But haven't tried it. I have also have cut back trees from overhanging near the roofline.
I have a cement tile roof to prevent critters from tearing into it (like my asphalt and racoon experience) but I don't know if they can get under the tiles. I have gone one year without an intrusion but I think I saw a rat run through the yard along the fence last week or it was a squirrel.
It was very fast and I didn't see a tail like a squirrel. Fall season seems to be when they invaded us last time and others in the neighborhood as well.

.@sorka: “I still have the cameras up there on the slightest motion activation in blue iris and notifications. The only time I get notified now is when I'm up in the attic.“

Did you instal the camera/motion detector yourself? I would like a simple system. Any suggestions for my attic?

.@sorka: “I still have the cameras up there on the slightest motion activation in blue iris and notifications. The only time I get notified now is when I'm up in the attic.“

Did you instal the camera/motion detector yourself? I would like a simple system. Any suggestions for my attic?

I have 26 cameras around my property including 4 in the attic. They range in brand, model, and price. I'm using Blue Iris as my NDVR and it's doing the motion detection for each stream. Since nothing moves in the attic, it's set to most sensitive settings available.

Thank you for your advice 're voids. Our pest company did close some voids with spiked, barbed razor sharp wire mesh. We live near a creek which is an attraction. Did you try poison to reduce the population? I found some poison on Amazon described as similar to what the pros use with bait station containers by Tomcat. But haven't tried it. I have also have cut back trees from overhanging near the roofline.
I have a cement tile roof to prevent critters from tearing into it (like my asphalt and racoon experience) but I don't know if they can get under the tiles. I have gone one year without an intrusion but I think I saw a rat run through the yard along the fence last week or it was a squirrel.
It was very fast and I didn't see a tail like a squirrel. Fall season seems to be when they invaded us last time and others in the neighborhood as well.

I was using this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ICK5RG

until I got them under control by eliminating the gaps. It works great. Unfortunately it's twice the price as it was a few years ago(like many other things due to the hyper inflation that's happening now).

Half the time the rats would be lying dead where the bait was but just as often the bait was taken somewhere which probably means I have desiccated rats and mice in my attic in some corner I can't get to.

First full day of my system without me touching anything. It hit a high of 8.3kW. It was 93 degrees yesterday, so I'm hoping we will see a bit more production on cooler days. I'd also like to get the SolarEdge app working so I can see individual panel production.

Screenshot_20200823-084311.png

Reactions: nwdiver
First full day of my system without me touching anything. It hit a high of 8.3kW. It was 93 degrees yesterday, so I'm hoping we will see a bit more production on cooler days. I'd also like to get the SolarEdge app working so I can see individual panel production.

View attachment 579697

The SolarEdge system I installed is 14.88kW and it only hit 10.3kW yesterday. Also in the 90s where it's located. Wind can also play a significant factor.

If you get in touch with Tesla to get access to the app make sure you specify that you want to see individual panels. Not all permissions have that ability.... And.... probably be easier to contact SolarEdge....

Reactions: SoCal Dave

View attachment 579697

Are you in SoCal? If so, the haze has reduced my production by about 20% from nominal (usually on the mountain I can see all the way from Carlsbad to Tijuana - right now . . . I can see 1/5 of that distance).

EDIT - looking at your panel layout, you have a significant number of East-facing panels. I have some of those, and for this reason alone, you will never come close to your theoretical production at mid-day. I would estimate 10-10.5 kw is probably your max based upon this alone.

• Informative
I just stepped outside, it felt like it was 10,000F.

Right? (my location under my name says riverside co but I live in temecula as well). I have been using my pellet smoker outside as an oven since this heat wave began to both save electricity for my AC (instead of running my double ovens) and also not heat up the house extra with the double ovens.

I did biscuits and sausage out there this morning, but at 8am it was already mid to high 80s lol.

View attachment 579697

Based on your layout and being in SoCal, 8.3KW is excellent. PVWatts only has you at:

(Summing up each panel group on an hourly basis based on your azimuth and roof angle)

Your peak today with a 7% system loss (really conservative) would have you at 8.1KW at noon.

Are the 8 panels on the flat portion not titled SSW for optimal peak time production? They look completely flat.

The SolarEdge system I installed is 14.88kW and it only hit 10.3kW yesterday. Also in the 90s where it's located. Wind can also play a significant factor.

If you get in touch with Tesla to get access to the app make sure you specify that you want to see individual panels. Not all permissions have that ability.... And.... probably be easier to contact SolarEdge....

Depending on your layout, that might be a pretty good number.

PVWatts Calculator

If you have groups at different azimuth or roof pitch angles, treat them like separate systems. Download the hourly data and scroll to today to see what peak would be for each group. If you have everything facing the same direction and roof tilt, then this is super easy. If you have multiple groups, then you need to take the hourly data for each group, line them up, like in a spread sheet, and then SUM the rows together (the same hour for each grouping) and then the max value in the sum column will be your maximum peak production for all panels together. This is assuming no shading, clear skies with no smoke, etc.