Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
8.1 is awesome so far. I Just got it Friday and wondered how long I would have to drive around so the cameras would "calibrate" and unlock the 80mph highway AP2. I drove around for about an hour on the highways and then went home. The next time I got in the car the 80mph was unlocked. It works way better than before, the lines still bounce around a bit, but not as much. The lane change works well, I believe it is somewhat checking if there is a car in the next lane before it changes as I activated my turn signal with a car in the way and it didn't move. Can anyone else confirm this? Be cautious on highway exchanges that have curves as AP2 seems to just speed along on the curve instead of slowing down... Enjoy :)

I have a AP2 MX with 17.11.10 and for the life of me I have no clue what it does or fixed. I did notice this AM that the two front sonar sensors appeared to be a bit more active during normal non-TACC/AS driving but that may not have anything to do with what was transmitted yesterday. Hard to critique the release at this point in time as I'm still searching.

So an interesting observation I've noticed over the past few days: the car will now identify cars in front of it that are stopped, even if it's never seen them move before. As I understand it, that's something not even AP1 can accomplish, and certainly wasn't the case with 8.0. If I had to guess, I'd say that's likely related to using the two cameras, as it can use the parralax to determine that it's a stationary 3D object in the path, rather than something in the background.

• Informative
Reactions: cdub and MTOman
I have a AP2 MX with 17.11.10 and for the life of me I have no clue what it does or fixed. I did notice this AM that the two front sonar sensors appeared to be a bit more active during normal non-TACC/AS driving but that may not have anything to do with what was transmitted yesterday. Hard to critique the release at this point in time as I'm still searching.
I believe that update was for the missing FWD tab that disappeared after 17.11.3.

I don't have an X but that's what I've read.

Has anyone else had the message "Autosteer max speed is limited - Contact Tesla service for manual calibration" when trying to engage autosteer above 55mph.?

I expected to need to drive some miles while it calibrated but this message suggests there is an issue with the cars second camera.

Has anyone seen this and subsequently went on to successfully calibrate? A call to service might be in order...

I believe that update was for the missing FWD tab that disappeared after 17.11.3.

I don't have an X but that's what I've read.
That is a very good possibility. All I know is that the front and rear sensors are much more active in non-TACC/AP conditions than they were previously. Also, I did another test run on a very wide surface street with only one painted center line and no right side markings or curbs where the car has always struggled and today I was able to drive the complete length, curves, turn lanes, etc., completely on AP with no problems. Yesterday it failed before 17.11.10 and today it succeeded with it. From my limited tests and observations it seems to have been improved in some other ways other than just the FWD update. More tests to come though.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
That is a very good possibility. All I know is that the front and rear sensors are much more active in non-TACC/AP conditions than they were previously. Also, I did another test run on a very wide surface street with only one painted center line and no right side markings or curbs where the car has always struggled and today I was able to drive the complete length, curves, turn lanes, etc., completely on AP with no problems. Yesterday it failed before 17.11.10 and today it succeeded with it. From my limited tests and observations it seems to have been improved in some other ways other than just the FWD update. More tests to come though.

This is very interesting. I just drove 250 miles in the X with 17.11.3 (clear day with mild traffic) mostly highway and it really is much improved. Not quite AP1 yet, but getting close. Would love to hear if 17.11.10 really is something other then FWD bug fix (which I also have since 8.1).

This is very interesting. I just drove 250 miles in the X with 17.11.3 (clear day with mild traffic) mostly highway and it really is much improved. Not quite AP1 yet, but getting close. Would love to hear if 17.11.10 really is something other then FWD bug fix (which I also have since 8.1).
I'm not sure if we ever will know for sure because the release notes don't say anything about what actually did change (unless I read right over it). Whatever the changes might be I am happy with where everything is going.

Got 8.1 early, yesterday, literally right before leaving on a 250 mile trip. About 80% of the drive was on well marked interstate. AP 2.0 worked very well. Lane change also worked well, although a couple of times I did get the jerky motion described in some earlier posts. With a couple of expected exceptions, autosteer even worked well in construction zones where there were temporary lane dividers and diverted lanes.

We also got to experience the advanced braking capabilities. We were moving along at about 65 MPH in a construction zone behind a large pickup truck. My car started to unexpectedly slow down. I thought it was some phantom AP2 braking, but suddenly the truck in front of us veered to the left shoulder to avoid hitting a car that had almost come to a stop in the lane in front of it. I never saw the car, but my car safely slowed to a stop. Fortunately there were no collisions (and the vehicles behind me were able to stop in time!).

I did have one minor strange quirk. After a brief stop at a highway rest area, when I returned to the highway I noticed that the auto lane change setting had turned itself off. Otherwise no problem.

Also had a chance to test the summon feature in my grandmother's garage. It worked great. My hard to impress wife was actually impressed!

Overall I am really pleased with the update and very comfortable with autosteer at the higher speeds - at least on well marked highways.

Just completed the trip home. Much heavier traffic this time, but autosteer performed very well. Out of around 200 miles of autosteer, I probably disengaged 6 or 7 times, three of which were either exits or expected difficult areas (e.g. Cars merging into the highway by dangerously cutting in front of me). I had to cancel once because the car was not slowing early enough for a large trailer that was significantly slower as I approached. I also had one instance of "truck lust." It was a beautiful red big rig with a long tall flat bed and gorgeous large wheels (I know there's a "Cake" song reference in there somewhere). My car just couldn't resist. I had no problems with the dozens of other trucks in the interstate.

Regarding the complaints about lane change being hesitant or jerky, I noticed that if I turned off the turn signal too soon, the car would hesitate or even stop half way through the lane change. Keep that signal going until the lane charge is completed. I also tested turning on the signal when I knew there was a vehicle next to me. The system consistently waited until the vehicle moved forward or back and then initiated the lane change.

In general, autosteer and TACC made the long drive much more comfortable. It's also much easier to eat your burger on the road, as the occasional second hand helps tremendously as the catsup and mustard laden piece of lettuce attempts to escape into your lap.

IMG_1559.PNG
Just got an alert for a new software alert, and I'm already running 17.11.3.

Anyone know what this update entails? I unfortunately won't have access to my ride for a few days.

HW2 X: Just drove 1000ish miles from Colorado to Chicago with the new update.

The good!

- Autosteer at high speeds is mostly reliable for straight roads.
- Auto lane change to the left is mostly reliable.
- Auto lane change gives us the adjacent lane in the dash. Neat!
- Drawing pad, so I can write funny notes for my kids to see when I'm not driving.
- Can activate TACC/AS from a stop.
- Far far far less of the jittery lines.
- I like the favorites station.

The bad!

- Autosteer at high speeds is scary for non-straight roads. Even gentle curves can confuse it and send you over the line. I80 to I88 is pretty much as gentle a road as one can take, and still AS on several occasions went drunk.
- Random significant slowdowns with TACC have returned wth a vengeance. Considerably worse than any previous firmware. No FCW warnings, just random 5-20 mph slowdowns. Unacceptably dangerous. Overpasses, open-road toll apparatuses, random who knows what stuff. Entirely unpredictable.
- Autosteer, while mostly better about this, will still try to take exits. This is much worse at 75 than at 55. This happened at one point and it was actually fairly scary, with limited time to right the course to remain on the highway.
- No rain-sensing for the wipers.
- No auto-high beams.
- Auto lane change to the right is so much worse than to the left. I disabled the featured.
- No cars displayed in additional lanes (which only appear when auto lane change is on).
- No nav update, so adding waypoints is still not possible.

There were some stretches during which I felt I could mostly trust AS. But all in all, it felt like this was just a rushed out claim-the-revenue-in-Q1 release. Still not as good as my test-drive experience in October with an AP1 X.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone has remarked on this yet, but I noticed lanes to either side of mine are now faintly outlined...
I noticed them. They are visible except for when I'm wearing my sunglasses. It doesn't look like they display cars in those lanes yet though.

I drove about 50 miles today and it did well most of the way. It's a great improvement from the previous version.

HW2 X: Just drove 1000ish miles from Colorado to Chicago with the new update.

And I was so proud that I did 250 miles today :) I too am having false alarm stops for overhead anything on FW .3. Its better then before, but when it happens it scares the crap out of me. No audible alarm, just an aggressive slow down. The 5-6 times it happened to me today was enough to keep me looking in the mirror all day. I just let people pass me. I did not want them ending up in my rear if the car decided to slam on the breaks.

That said, I did not experience issues with changing lanes left or right. It worked equally well. Not AP1 well, but close. I do not change lanes when approaching under passes or over head signs. Did that once and the car freaked out...swerved, slammed on the breaks etc

Taking mild highway speed turns was also not bad. I am not seeing the same issues some folks are reporting.

I did notice one interesting difference between AP1 and AP2 on this ride and firmware: The AP2 allows you to gently correct its mistakes without disengaging. For example, several times when I switch lanes, the car would over steer and start to wobble to get in lane. I would very gently force the car into the lane and it would just (as if it was a student learning) let me do what needs to be done and then take over without disengaging. In AP1 if I did that, the AP would disengage. Let's not read into something that might not be there... :) It could be just a more relaxed disengagement protocol being employed. Nevertheless, I experienced this several times today.

Still waiting for news on FW .10 and AP behavior.

Has anyone else had the message "Autosteer max speed is limited - Contact Tesla service for manual calibration" when trying to engage autosteer above 55mph.?

I expected to need to drive some miles while it calibrated but this message suggests there is an issue with the cars second camera.

Has anyone seen this and subsequently went on to successfully calibrate? A call to service might be in order...

Yes. I've had this message for two days. Hasn't resolved with driving. Case has been submitted to "California".