Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally bought a Tesla (used 2021 Model 3 Performance)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After lurking for a bit I finally bought a Tesla Model 3P via Carvana. Put a decent down payment down and will have my delivery this Tuesday.

I did test drive a slightly used 2022 Model 3 Performance a month ago and found the acceleration from a stop / low roll to be far more intense than I expected. It actually felt faster than my old modded 800hp Charger Hellcat, and felt I would near pass out the first time I floored it. I did feel the power drop off after 80mph but even that wasn't as bad as I expected, and there's a member here who has several suggestions on getting a M3P to trap 120+ and hold a longer power curve after 60mph that I will follow. I tried getting that particular Model 3 Performance that I test drove but the dealer wanted to take advantage with a ridiculous interest rate and did some other shady things as well (look up reviews for World Auto Inc).

So, I waited patiently and found one on Carvana that fits the mileage/budget I was looking for:

It's not a car I'll be driving that often so that's why I went looking for used instead new since I work remotely (basically a weekend or lunch time vehicle). I also found Carvana's prices to be more competitive than Tesla's own used inventory. And with better interest rates. This is also a "bridge" to my next electric vehicle in about two years, very interested in the electric Banshee from Dodge or maybe Tesla's answer to this.

I'll be updating the next few days on how things goes. I've heard some horror stories about Carvana but some good stories on here as well. The horror stories are mainly for gas vehicles but Teslas sold in general are highly positive. The only negative about this one is that it does not come with a mobile charger from Tesla, it is 3rd party. That's fine though, I can always purchase that separately.

I even called the service center listed in the carfax for "vehicle serviced". It was just summer tires being mounted/balanced. I have 7 days to return the car for any reason no questions asked but if it's as simple and clean (minus the minor imperfections listed) as the other Model 3 P's I looked at/test drove it's basically a done deal. Pickup scheduled for Tuesday at my local Carvana vending machine.

Last edited:
Got my Tesla today. Don't have any pics yet because by the time I was done with everything it was dark. I'll have some for tomorrow.

Everything went extremely smooth. Carvana was perhaps the easiest, hassle free experience in getting a car start to finish. Every document was e-signed. I checked the 3 areas marked for blemishes and they were barely noticeable at all. The only negative I would say is that the pickup location only got the car today and didn't have time to charge it up to 90% that I requested, it was half that but they did have it on a charger charging away slowly. They also detailed the car first and did an excellent job on that.

I didn't get the vending machine experience because it had some technical issues, but didn't care for that anyways. Once I signed the additional paperwork did a one through with the field advisor answering every one of my questions and lastly got my temp tag/registration.

First thing I did was associate the car with my Tesla account so I could start using the supercharger network. I was able to activate this with just the temp tag and registration. I will be getting my actual plates in 2-3 weeks according to them. Went to the nearest supercharger and charged it up to 95%, took a surprisingly quick amount of time.

Spent some time going it over with the wife. She wanted to just take it and go without me to starbucks thinking it was just like any other vehicle. Had to show her the intricate details including park/reverse/drive etc... and the regen braking caught her off guard. At first she hated it but actually got to liking after driving around a while. Eventually she did drive it around alone and likes the car alot now.

For myself, I bought the Performance because I wanted the performance, and it didn't disappoint. Faint inducing acceleration still there. Even when driving normally with a light touch the acceleration is just amazing.

As I only have level 1 charging right now, I have to hire an electrician to install a 240 outlet. Luckily my neighbor is an electrician and he offered to do it at cost of materials. We just gotta go to home depot to get the materials and he'll do the rest.

I'll have some pics to post tomorrow. Overall very satisified with today. Like ice cube said, today was a good day. 🚗

Congratulations! A lot of us remember our first time, and it's always nice to see another owner experience the car. Seems like a nice low milage car and your experience will get even better when you get your 240 installed since it becomes a set it and forget it experience at home. Even years later, I still get that sometimes stomach-turning experience when I get on the accelerator, and it never gets old. Oddly enough, I don't get on it too often after having owned it for a while, and I don't see too many Tesla owners launching their cars on the road either, but it sure does inspire some confidence since when you need that power, it's there. I hope you have a lot of fun!

Congratulations! A lot of us remember our first time, and it's always nice to see another owner experience the car. Seems like a nice low milage car and your experience will get even better when you get your 240 installed since it becomes a set it and forget it experience at home. Even years later, I still get that sometimes stomach-turning experience when I get on the accelerator, and it never gets old. Oddly enough, I don't get on it too often after having owned it for a while, and I don't see too many Tesla owners launching their cars on the road either, but it sure does inspire some confidence since when you need that power, it's there. I hope you have a lot of fun!

So far its been very fun to drive each time, and I admit to getting a little excited for a stoplight war or two. I'm sure the novelty will wear out though and I'll just focus solely on what I can do at the track.

Reactions: DocHolliday
Some pics

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    717.6 KB · Views: 165
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    605.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    632.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    594.5 KB · Views: 109
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    736.2 KB · Views: 123
Got my Tesla today. Don't have any pics yet because by the time I was done with everything it was dark. I'll have some for tomorrow.

Everything went extremely smooth. Carvana was perhaps the easiest, hassle free experience in getting a car start to finish. Every document was e-signed. I checked the 3 areas marked for blemishes and they were barely noticeable at all. The only negative I would say is that the pickup location only got the car today and didn't have time to charge it up to 90% that I requested, it was half that but they did have it on a charger charging away slowly. They also detailed the car first and did an excellent job on that.

I didn't get the vending machine experience because it had some technical issues, but didn't care for that anyways. Once I signed the additional paperwork did a one through with the field advisor answering every one of my questions and lastly got my temp tag/registration.

First thing I did was associate the car with my Tesla account so I could start using the supercharger network. I was able to activate this with just the temp tag and registration. I will be getting my actual plates in 2-3 weeks according to them. Went to the nearest supercharger and charged it up to 95%, took a surprisingly quick amount of time.

Spent some time going it over with the wife. She wanted to just take it and go without me to starbucks thinking it was just like any other vehicle. Had to show her the intricate details including park/reverse/drive etc... and the regen braking caught her off guard. At first she hated it but actually got to liking after driving around a while. Eventually she did drive it around alone and likes the car alot now.

For myself, I bought the Performance because I wanted the performance, and it didn't disappoint. Faint inducing acceleration still there. Even when driving normally with a light touch the acceleration is just amazing.

As I only have level 1 charging right now, I have to hire an electrician to install a 240 outlet. Luckily my neighbor is an electrician and he offered to do it at cost of materials. We just gotta go to home depot to get the materials and he'll do the rest.

I'll have some pics to post tomorrow. Overall very satisified with today. Like ice cube said, today was a good day. 🚗
Awesome and congrats!

Reactions: csammy
Looks good. Tint those windows and if you can get PPF, get that as well (especially for the front)

Got some quotes regarding Window Tints. There seems to be a Tesla tax in play or prices have gone way up since I last tinted window 2 years ago :D

Also got my 240 outlet installed today as well. Neighbor did it for $225 parts and labor (he's an electrician).

Pardon the messy driveway lol.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 121
Reactions: zoomer0056
So far its been very fun to drive each time, and I admit to getting a little excited for a stoplight war or two. I'm sure the novelty will wear out though and I'll just focus solely on what I can do at the track.
I don't bury the pedal from a stop very often, but every time it's a blast still. Also no other sporty cars seem to want to try me at a stoplight, so haven't had much chance to show off the acceleration. :)

I don't bury the pedal from a stop very often, but every time it's a blast still. Also no other sporty cars seem to want to try me at a stoplight, so haven't had much chance to show off the acceleration. :)

I'm finding even from a 40mph roll the car has amazing punch but the falloff does come quicker. Wonder if the M3P has the potential for another software performance update, even if just 5% more power to the top. The low end is already amazingly strong and good as is.