Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Federal EV coming this budget 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The solution is quite simple
Offer the Canadian-only SR-, with no supercharging access, battery range limited to 200km (or whatever is the minimum to have the full 5k$ rebate), and w/e else they can disable with software, and then offer the unlocking of SR+ as an option.

To get the full $ 5,000 CND the battery has to be bigger than 15kWh.

I think the bigger picture is the Federal Government does not want Andrew Scheer saying the Liberals are using your tax dollars to buy rich people Teslas in the Fall election.

If they win maybe they will be more flexible. I think it will be hard to add teslas to the approved list before the election

I was a little rushed, but I wrote a quick email to [email protected]

Hi,
I am writing to voice my disapproval of the structure of the new zero emissions vehicle incentive.

This pricing structure is obviously crafted in a way to exclude the Tesla model 3.

I would like an explanation as to why a limit even exists. All the literature states that this incentive is to reduce greenhouse gasses and curb pollution. Does a more expensive car pollute less than cheaper ones? I would argue the opposite as higher performance vehicles tend to pollute more than low end economy cars.

This program fails in situations such as people comparison shopping between BMW, or Audi, and Tesla. Here is where the EV incentive will be the most effective.

This program as planned is playing favourites to the existing auto industry that created the problem to begin with.

I ask that you address this issue and create a fair environment. Please don't leave out the only company that is actually pushing for a sustainable future.

Thank you,

The KONA and Niro base aren't available at all at the current time in Canada and will only be offered in micro-quantity. (All of which would have sold without any federal rebate.)

Tesla can offer a limited number of 3SR at $44,995 + $3,000* and this will qualify all Model 3 vehicles costing less than $55,000 before transportation fees.

* Changing the transportation fee to $3,000 is to be on equal footing with some Hyundai dealerships which tack on fees of up to $3,000.

I saw a Kona EV with Ontario plates on the 407 a month ago. Haven't seen another since tho.

To get the full $ 5,000 CND the battery has to be bigger than 15kWh.

I think the bigger picture is the Federal Government does not want Andrew Scheer saying the Liberals are using your tax dollars to buy rich people Teslas in the Fall election.

If they win maybe they will be more flexible. I think it will be hard to add teslas to the approved list before the election

Andrew Scheer will be saying the Liberals are using your tax dollars to buy rich people Audi e-trons in the Fall election.

2018 Audi A3 Sportback e-tron Progressiv Technik PHEV 5 No $2,500

don't bother replying to me it's just little old A3. I know but politicians want everybody to believe it's big brother e-tron.

Don't get me wrong, it is stupid how once again Tesla's are excluded....but perhaps part of the government thinking is that there is unprecedented demand for Tesla's right now, so maybe they don't need the extra incentive since people are buying them sans rebate (aside from BC and QC of course

I think there are 2 explanations to the government's thinking.

The obvious one: they wanted to exclude Tesla due to the optics of it being a rich person's car.

The charitable one: by putting this ceiling they are making manufacturers lower their prices instead of just benefiting from the rebate. In the US as the rebate decreased Tesla decreased prices. Similar thing happening with gm and the bolt. So the rebate is actually having an opposite effect. What points to this is that several of the vehicles that now qualify reduced prices in order to qualify.

What points to the obvious explanation rather than this are the gymnastics of if you have a sub $45k model then you get the incentive on sub $55 models. Seems made to specifically exclude the model 3. Otherwise why not have a $55k ceiling.

The charitable one: by putting this ceiling they are making manufacturers lower their prices instead of just benefiting from the rebate. In the US as the rebate decreased Tesla decreased prices. Similar thing happening with gm and the bolt. So the rebate is actually having an opposite effect. What points to this is that several of the vehicles that now qualify reduced prices in order to qualify.

That's the only logical reason. And if it actually is, it should be explained in their program.

If my brother gets a 53k$ Kona, he gets the incentive. If I get a 53$ M3, I don't. From a purely consumer point of view, it's very frustrating as it's the same amount of money. There are other ways to make manufacturers lower their prices that don't descrimate the consumer's choice.

That's the only logical reason. And if it actually is, it should be explained in their program.

If my brother gets a 53k$ Kona, he gets the incentive. If I get a 53$ M3, I don't. From a purely consumer point of view, it's very frustrating as it's the same amount of money. There are other ways to make manufacturers lower their prices that don't descrimate the consumer's choice.

And what incentive does guaranteeing sales give other manufactures to actually try to lead in the industry? Tesla does the work, everyone else does a half go and they get rewarded.

Reactions: Vawlkus

I agree, it is retarded. How can they make something simple totally complicated and unfair.

Actually if they want to be really fair, they may as well don't give any rebate and invest all this money in infrastructure for electrical cars rather than producing this Mickey Mouse scale.

Again optics is everything in politics. Look at what just happened in Alberta. Kenny blows and puffs and the voters eat it up. Everything he ranted about, he will be as constrained as Notley was, and get no further, but being Mr. Outraged plays to the masses. So any ev program has to take into consideration those who are ignorant of ev’s. Example.... Ford’s silly stickers on gas pumps on the carbon tax. The carbon deniers, ie the Conservative party, will pull ridiculous stunts like that on any ev program.

Again optics is everything in politics. Look at what just happened in Alberta. Kenny blows and puffs and the voters eat it up. Everything he ranted about, he will be as constrained as Notley was, and get no further, but being Mr. Outraged plays to the masses. So any ev program has to take into consideration those who are ignorant of ev’s. Example.... Ford’s silly stickers on gas pumps on the carbon tax. The carbon deniers, ie the Conservative party, will pull ridiculous stunts like that on any ev program.
All the more reason to go Green.

We need change, so people need to see Green as a viable choice, rather than just voting for one of the big three only to vote against another of the big three. That kind of thing is what lead to Trump getting elected down south, and the way Ford got in.

Maybe Green doesn’t ‘win’, but they start getting enough numbers for people to notice them. When the next elections come around, people vote that way because they’ve passed the imaginary ‘this party is now real’ point.

All the more reason to go Green.

I've been voting green in my riding for years. One of a handful. People are too concerned about their own wallets to give a F about the environment. Ironically, it's a Chinese community and they immigrated here to have a better environment (Chinese logic) go where it's clean so we can pollute it again (or is that human logic?).

• Funny
Reactions: dj_gon
I've been voting green in my riding for years. One of a handful. People are too concerned about their own wallets to give a F about the environment. Ironically, it's a Chinese community and they immigrated here to have a better environment (Chinese logic) go where it's clean so we can pollute it again (or is that human logic?).

Everyone votes with their wallet, not just Chinese ppl.

• Love
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
I am afraid you're right...

This is what makes me think a lot of policy doesn't really actually matter. There's a political scientist in the US (totally don't remember his name) who said prior to the 2016 election that there was going to be a change in gov't, regardless of who the Republican nominee was. He had this predictor he made up measuring different variables in society. It contained economic measures, but other societal measures as well. Based on it he said a change of gov't was coming, and he was right. He also had a previous track record of predicting success I think the past couple election cycles. So it really goes to show that the vast majority of ppl are really incredibly basic: they vote on feel and emotion more than anything else, and if they have economic insecurity, that's where they go with their vote. Most ppl are too stupid to register the fact the planet will be unliveable for their kids.

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
This is what makes me think a lot of policy doesn't really actually matter. There's a political scientist in the US (totally don't remember his name) who said prior to the 2016 election that there was going to be a change in gov't, regardless of who the Republican nominee was. He had this predictor he made up measuring different variables in society. It contained economic measures, but other societal measures as well. Based on it he said a change of gov't was coming, and he was right. He also had a previous track record of predicting success I think the past couple election cycles. So it really goes to show that the vast majority of ppl are really incredibly basic: they vote on feel and emotion more than anything else, and if they have economic insecurity, that's where they go with their vote. Most ppl are too stupid to register the fact the planet will be unliveable for their kids.

I am not sure it is about being stupid but about being selfish, I don't care, I'll be dead by the time the planet won't be liveable...

I am not sure it is about being stupid but about being selfish, I don't care, I'll be dead by the time the planet won't be liveable...

Reason I don't agree with this assessment is cause of kids -- ppl will literally die for their kids. If there's a bus about to hit their kid they'll put themselves in harms way to save their kid. But this same instinct doesn't kick in when the threat is not visible and immediate.

Reactions: phigment