Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ExtendView Side Mirrors -- outstanding visibility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, just got back from a quick spin during lunch. Daylight helps a great deal adjusting to these mirrors, but I think I'm having an issue with my eyes. To me, the view is still a bit blurry in the outer curved portion, but when I use only one eye the view is absolutely outstanding. Felt like I could see everything and I was much more confident changing lanes on the driver's side.

I'll discuss with my optometrist, but if you don't have some apparent vision issues like me, these mirrors are GREAT!

Unfortunately, if my vision doesn't let me tolerate these after a few days, I might have to list them for sale. Will keep you all posted.

Well, I am sad to say my astigmatism and these mirrors do not agree. I had to pull them off last night. Unfortunately, I broke the passenger mirror during removal, but the driver's side is intact.

Another member already contacted me, and I'm planning on just donating the intact driver's side mirror for the cost of shipping to another fellow Roadster owner. Hopefully someone can try it out for cheap and before buying a full set.

Is there a way to install them that makes it easier to remove in case of shrinkitis? I ordered a pair and have a bit of astigmatism, not much, and don't want to ruin the OEM mirrors:(

Use dental floss or a thin wire behind the mirror to rip the double-sided tape, then carefully pull the mirror away. If there feels like there's tension, run the floss behind it again.

I think the trick with these mirrors is to not stare at them, but rather just to glance at them. You really just need to know if there's a car there (or other obstacle). Staring at them makes your eyes go crossed.

So mine have been installed for about a week now...and I like them a lot.
They don't stick out much...

photo.JPG

In traffic they are really greatl!!! :cool:

As Doug mentions, the hard part is if you have to stare at them for long.
For me, that is when I backup into the garage since it's quite tight.
That's the only time when I'd rather have the originals...but I'll suffer through that for the traffic benefits!

Last edited:
I have had my new mirrors on for a week now. Takes a little getting used to, but it does help. Even so, I wouldn't have the guts to make a lane change with just looking in the mirrors. Still think a quick little peak over the shoulder adds to a safer lane change!

I previously had a stick on small round mirror on the right side. I like this solution better than previously.

Mirror.JPG

I purchased the side view mirrors but am still a bit hesitant to install them... After learning how to "really" place the drivers side view mirror so that you see the cars to the right of you in the side view mirror until they actually are in sight next to you has been a tremendous help.

I have had my new mirrors on for a week now. Takes a little getting used to, but it does help. Even so, I wouldn't have the guts to make a lane change with just looking in the mirrors. Still think a quick little peak over the shoulder adds to a safer lane change!]

I initially had the same hesitancy after I installed the ExtendView mirrors but after a month I gained so much confidence in the mirrors that I now change lanes without turning my head to look over my shoulder. The mirrors are amazing. You just have to concentrate and understand the view they are presenting. They will clearly show cars that are directly adjacent to you when you can also see the car out of the corner of your eye without turning your head.

However, I do not have the same confidence in them at night because it is harder to ascertain the position of cars near me at night when using the mirrors, or any mirror, since the lane lines cannot be clearly visualized. So at night I turn my head to check first before changing lanes. But I still think the ExtendView mirrors are great!

Slightly off topic, but is there a trick to adjusting the mirrors out wider? I can't seem to adjust them to where the side of the car doesn't take up half of the mirror.

I easily adjusted mine so that I can only see the side of my car if I lean just slightly towards the mirror. Push firmly on the mirror enclosure. It does not move much when gently pushed on.

I actually prefer them positioned so I just see the side of the car without leaning towards the mirror. The field of view is so wide that even in that position they will clearly show the nose of a car next to me when it is up to the seat back.

Mirrors

I easily adjusted mine so that I can only see the side of my car if I lean just slightly towards the mirror. Push firmly on the mirror enclosure. It does not move much when gently pushed on.

I actually prefer them positioned so I just see the side of the car without leaning towards the mirror. The field of view is so wide that even in that position they will clearly show the nose of a car next to me when it is up to the seat back.

After reading this thread, I got a pair of the Extend View mirrors. I love them! Easily installed and eliminates my blind spots.

Thanks to those who reviewed this product for the idea!

David

I found this stick on convex mirror that fits perfectly with the outside curves of the Roadster's mirror and gives very good range of visibility. I picked it up at Winchester Auto Parts, store may not exist else-where. But its a nice alternative for about $3-$4.

The way I have my mirrors setup, the very inside of the mirror shows just the outside edge of the roadster so I get a larger road coverage with the plain mirror. The convex is my "check" mirror, that I always verify against before I engage and during my lane change or pass.

700_9717.jpg