Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experience from my first Tesla Model S Test Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've went around to different dealership today (Nissan, BMW, Volvo, Jaguar...), and I must say Tesla and the Nissan are the one that offered me the best experience ! BMW was the WORST of all, and they didn't even stock the electric car !. All rep except Nissan tried to dismiss the Tesla as not as good as their car, and that it non important in term of volume. Anyway I tried to sit in a few of them. I didn't care about which model I tried (there were so many), but I must say that they all were not that that great in term of comfort, but were all better than the Model S in term of head room and overall visibility.

I don't think the head room can be fixed for me in the Tesla, but I feel with better seat adjustment this could become an non issue.

I've also notice much of my low field of vision compare to my current versa is because how low I am in the Tesla. I'm used to see the road right in front of the car, but no more. So since I'm at my third Versa, that all I pretty much known. So I'm guessing I could learn to accept it as normal quickly and trust that there is lot I don't see at the level of the road.

I've also tried the Nissan Leaf, which was actually the best comfortable seating arrangement I tried the whole day (a part from my Versa). Sadly the dash is a little bit more in the way blocking my right leg to fully open.

I was expecting a much more power from the Leaf. Not as much as the Tesla (doh), but much more than it did. The rep felt that the initial second didn't had as much power than previous car he sold, so maybe there something to it. But the ride was smooth and quiet. Some nice feature like with all arround camera. They improved a lot of things in their new models compare to the video of some owner put on youtube. They even added a heat pump which is a great idea since it much more energy friendly at temp of over -15oC.

For my B Pillar view block issue, Jaguar rep. told me that you don't look left anymore for you dead angle, you only check indication in the side mirror... So having this on the Tesla might be a solution, but I don't know about you, but I don't think I could ever do that !

So I'll really have to go back to Tesla and take a lot of time just doing seat adjustment. Thanks fully I won't run out the battery :) Most of the car I got in the show room gave low battery error... I found that pretty disturbing even from Jaguar !

Nissan had a lease from someone I could take back for the next 2 year. Still too close for the avability of the Model 3, but maybe ok for the Model X ! So considering the idea right now ! I though I'll go back at Tesla latter but I might go back soon to do these seat and winter coats/boots tests ! Because having a leaf is just the idea of being electric and doing a little bit of social, having a Tesla is about having fun and lot of social :)

I am 6'6", the car is a little difficult getting inside. I have the pano roof and never have had any issues with seat height. The biggest issue is with the b pillar, I don't know why it is so wide. I have had plenty of cars/trucks, and always tough finding something with enough leg room, the screen does rub slightly on leg however not as bad as cars with big center consoles. You might want to consider waiting for the x if you have reservations about it, I will most likely trade in as soon as possible if there is more room. I drove a nissan Altima for a short time and it was much easier getting in and out of compared to the model s. I am really hoping the x has a larger door opening than this s, it is hard to tell from the pics.