Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exoskeleton body repair cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ok so when autopilot decides to smash you into a concrete barrior, what do you think the repair cost will be for fixing the exoskeleton body?

It’s not like you have replaceable panels here.

100k in labor? Lol. You’d have to disassemble the entire vehicle to replace it. Dent your truck once and insurance will immediately salvage it. Lol

There are just so many fails with this design.

ok so when autopilot decides to smash you into a concrete barrior, what do you think the repair cost will be for fixing the exoskeleton body?

100k in labor? Lol. You’d have to disassemble the entire vehicle to replace it. Dent your truck once and insurance will immediately salvage it. Lol

Question is poorly conceived because modern cars are designed to be destroyed on impact. By using steel, the car will not be totaled so often, but the danger is to the occupants and other vehicles.

Reactions: jsmay311
Maybe it's like worrying about putting bondo on a tank. Scars are a sign of character. AS to the concrete barrier, it's cheap to replace using non-union labor. And do I detect a specific orientation in the OP's choice of automotive accessories and the autopilot comment?

Reactions: Hank42
DeLoreans are not cheap to fix and I'm guessing this will suffer the same repair expense. Body shops are not going to know how to deal with the stainless, so finding someone to repair it could be difficult as well.
There are entire industries fabricating things out of stainless steel. Lots of industrial food equipment is make from stainless. Lots of manufacturing equipment. It's not rocket science.

You are potentially looking at frame damage from any accident. Also its pretty hard to repair an unpainted steel surface back to the OEM color and look after an accident. Insurance for this truck will be high.

Paint hides surface imperfections. Frame damage normally totals a car. This truck has a frame on the outside.

You are potentially looking at frame damage from any accident. Also its pretty hard to repair an unpainted steel surface back to the OEM color and look after an accident. Insurance for this truck will be high.

Paint hides surface imperfections. Frame damage normally totals a car. This truck has a frame on the outside.
This truck has no frame. Just cut and paste new panels and steel brush the seams. No paint so much cheaper to repair.

Stainless steel shows scratches easily. I think many customers (including me) might wrap their Cybertrucks. Or at least wrap it with clear paint protection film.
There is a reason people like stainless steel kitchen appliances. They're durable and easy to keep clean and good looking. Painted metal shows scratches easily. Stainless is "brushed" with scratches. Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "that will buff right out".

I do predict a lot of creative use of film covers.

Reactions: webdbbt and jboy210
DeLoreans are not cheap to fix and I'm guessing this will suffer the same repair expense. Body shops are not going to know how to deal with the stainless, so finding someone to repair it could be difficult as well.

Body shops don't know how to handle aluminum either. So most repairs to things like a F-150, Model X are remove bent panels, Repeat until your get to unbent metal. Apply new panels. Apply fillers, sand, and blend paint. Collect big $$$.

I honestly hadn't even considered that.

• Informative
Reactions: BlueOvalFan
There is a reason people like stainless steel kitchen appliances. They're durable and easy to keep clean and good looking. Painted metal shows scratches easily. Stainless is "brushed" with scratches. Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "that will buff right out".

I do predict a lot of creative use of film covers.

Yep. We have a stainless steel cooktop. Lots of scratches in it. They give it character so I am not buffing them out. But, there are places that fix up stainless steel appliance and do a great job of it. I guess they can be called to fix a cybertruck. And probably are cheaper than a body shop.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric

It is also really hard to repair the pearl colors on a Tesla, like the standard pearl White on an X. 3 layers of paint and coatings. And it take real skill to blend these. A dented rear side panel make require the entire side to be repainted to look untouched in sunlight.