Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Tire Life

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skotty

2014 S P85 | 2023 F-150L
Jun 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
I'm going to do some research on the tire life for EVs. There's been a lot of talk lately about tires not lasting as long on EVs vs gas cars, but I think this argument is probably heavily overblown and partially driven by the FUD crowd that doesn't like EVs. I've personally experienced no noticeable difference between the tire life of my EVs and gas cars, and I don't think any factors of EVs should really affect tire life that much. On average, they weigh more. But making tires for efficiency often means harder tread with lower rolling resistance and therefore longer life. I need time to research, but I'm starting this thread now in case anyone wants to weigh in with sources or other information.

Reactions: Yelobird
I have 25k miles on my 2023 mxp (delivery date 12/30/22). Since the first month, we’ve installed the n2itive camber arms and used the recommended alignment specs from them. So far the tires are wearing evenly. These are the stock continental crosscontact lx sport which are utqg 480 AA rated, 48k miles. I doubt I’ll get 28k miles out of these tires but I’m hoping at least 35k. So far so good .

The original stock OEM tires on my 2018 Model 3 LR RWD lasted 52,900 miles. The replacement Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires have just shy of 50,000 miles on them and are going to need to be replaced in a few months. In my experience, the tires on an EV are able to last for a normal amount of miles if you don't do full throttle accelerations at every stop light and have the vehicle properly aligned.

Information on how weight impacts tire tread life is not easy to find. I haven't done a ton of research yet, but most reports are just anecdotal statements about weight affecting tread life without any backing data to support the claims. I don't doubt it has some affect, but the question is how much?

Companies building EV-specific tires may have other criteria they are trying to meet, such as a quieter tire. However, a lot of these are choices, not required consequences of the vehicle being electric. You can put any tire on an EV. This is why I think weight is really the only metric to consider on this question.

Even then, we need to keep some perspective. What do you compare a Tesla Model 3 or Tesla Model S to? There is no gas powered Tesla Model 3 or Model S to compare against. So you have to pick cars of similar class from other manufacturers, and in some cases, the EV is the same weight or only marginally heavier; in other cases, it might be a lot heavier.

We can then look for cases where a vehicle has both a gas and electric variant. Although there are not many cases of this, and in these cases the electric variant is usually disadvantaged further by being shoe horned into a chassis originally intended for gas.

In general, we need to come up with an average for what percentage weight increase there is when going from gas to EV and then apply that to what the weight impact on tread life is. I'm trying to determine the weight/tread-life impact first. I'll keep looking for more information. I'm avoiding sources that are specifically addressing EVs, as those are ripe for bias, and instead I'm trying to just look generically at how vehicle weight affects tread life with actual experimental data to back it up.

Another point I suggest to consider is acceleration; the harder you accelerate the greater the tire wear. Why is this relevant to EVs? Given the instant torque available in an EV I suggest we accelerate, without any real intention, a lot harder then in our ICE cars. I know that when I am at a light, when it turns green I often look back at all the cars way behind me without any intention on my part of blowing anybody off the line.

I'm going to do some research on the tire life for EVs. There's been a lot of talk lately about tires not lasting as long on EVs vs gas cars, but I think this argument is probably heavily overblown and partially driven by the FUD crowd that doesn't like EVs. I've personally experienced no noticeable difference between the tire life of my EVs and gas cars, and I don't think any factors of EVs should really affect tire life that much. On average, they weigh more. But making tires for efficiency often means harder tread with lower rolling resistance and therefore longer life. I need time to research, but I'm starting this thread now in case anyone wants to weigh in with sources or other information.
Id do a poll, 10K, 20K, 30K, 40K, 50K, 60K
my three Ts are not needing tires yet, hoping for 50K