Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV.Energy App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I set a threshold to only charge 'off peak' when the rate is below a certain amount.

I'm also on agile and I have mine set to only charge when the rate is less than 3p/kWh (for example). Then it works out how much charge is needed and goes for the cheapest times to make sure I hit set charge by 16:00.

You could set that to 5p/kWh for example

Ok I’ll try the off-peak setting even though agile doesn’t technically have an off peak. If it works that’s all that matters!

Mine is generally ok but sometimes i lower the rate to when the octopus rate drops as occasionally it does charge at a higher rate. My biggest issue with ev.energy is waking the car up, and it seem to do it a lot, one day it was waking it up every 30mins, the car the stays awake for 15mins, sleeps then wakes up again 15mins later. I think basically it is checking the cars state every time the rate is under your limit, so having a higher rate will mean it will keep waking it up more. I emailed them about these, they seemed to say it is as designed, but not great for wasting battery, plus potential of wearing out something with the constant waking up.

Mine is generally ok but sometimes i lower the rate to when the octopus rate drops as occasionally it does charge at a higher rate. My biggest issue with ev.energy is waking the car up, and it seem to do it a lot, one day it was waking it up every 30mins, the car the stays awake for 15mins, sleeps then wakes up again 15mins later. I think basically it is checking the cars state every time the rate is under your limit, so having a higher rate will mean it will keep waking it up more. I emailed them about these, they seemed to say it is as designed, but not great for wasting battery, plus potential of wearing out something with the constant waking up.

They’ve updated their FAQ about that. Now apparently it only wakes the car like that if it’s plugged in and if that’s the case I guess it’s no real biggy.

DE81A5CB-FF66-4970-A35D-A21DC4DCCB57.jpeg

They’ve updated their FAQ about that. Now apparently it only wakes the car like that if it’s plugged in and if that’s the case I guess it’s no real biggy.
Still not great though, sure its plugged in, but it won't be charging, and that means after your charge has finished it may continue to wake up, so although you charged to say 80% the time you get round to using it, it may have lost a few percentage, plus like I said I'm not actually sure what effects it could have on the wear of the car waking it up so often as well. It seems unnecessary, and should only wake up around the time that it may need to charge, but if that was 30mins ago, it should know that the state of charge is unlikely to have changed.

At the moment sometimes my car might not move for a few days, but I leave it plugged in, therefore it constantly gets woken up. So far from my little testing, setting a lowish rate or disabling the smart charging altogether when I know it doesn't need charging is my solution, not a great one though.

Anybody use the EV.Energy smart charging app?

I’m on Octopus Agile and I have a Tesla charger.

I’ve noticed the app doesn’t charge at the cheapest times. I thought that was the whole idea.

I’ve been monitoring it today and it’s charging when the rate is about 5p even though later in the evening/morning the rate is a low as 1.8p

Never managed to get it to work, won't stay connected to the car / charger for any length of time. Had the installer out twice now to rectify issue but no luck. Signal from charger is well above minimum required for stability, just use it as a dumb charger now.

Never managed to get it to work, won't stay connected to the car / charger for any length of time. Had the installer out twice now to rectify issue but no luck. Signal from charger is well above minimum required for stability, just use it as a dumb charger now.
I assume your using this with a rolec smart charge point, whereas most people here are probably using it just directly with there Tesla.

Reactions: Chalks99
App support just replied to me with the following. They are correct in their assumptions so maybe that’s what’s been my problem...

We think we've spotted what has caused the scheduler to misbehave. It looks like the car was plugged in for several days, resulting in charges that didn't end properly. If you unplug the car and try running Agile again, it should return to normality!

So is the advice then to ensure your car is unplugged during installation and setup of the app?

@Pagemakers hope that resolves the issue for you, I find the app extremely useful and helps to reduce charging cost even further.

they are telling me to unplug the car after charging it and before charging it again. What I originally did was change to 70% and the next day continue to 80%. The devs told me between the 2 charges I should unplug.

I’ll monitor the situation next time I charge.

Same for me. My Rolec hasn't been visible to ev.energy for months now. Previously it would last maybe a day then go missing. I would power-cycle the Rolec and sometimes it would come back, sometimes it wouldn't (it would usually show up in ev.energy again after 2 or 3 power cycles). Now it never comes back. I've logged a ticket with ev.energy, they passed me to Rolec technical support who I contacted weeks ago and haven't had a response from (apart from the auto acknowledgment of my email). Pretty poor show. I have no issues with cellular connectivity in my area, so it's not that.

Same for me. My Rolec hasn't been visible to ev.energy for months now. Previously it would last maybe a day then go missing. I would power-cycle the Rolec and sometimes it would come back, sometimes it wouldn't (it would usually show up in ev.energy again after 2 or 3 power cycles). Now it never comes back. I've logged a ticket with ev.energy, they passed me to Rolec technical support who I contacted weeks ago and haven't had a response from (apart from the auto acknowledgment of my email). Pretty poor show. I have no issues with cellular connectivity in my area, so it's not that.

Exactly the same experience as me; the installers came out and replaced something in the Rolec unit and it worked for about a day and then the app shows the car as connected whether it is plugged in or not. It's not a deal breaker for me as currently I am on a fixed price tariff with Scottish Power (which is 13.468p per kwh and 15.2p per day standing charge) so I have no option to charge at an offer peak rate but I will be looking at this when my current dual fuel contract finishes later in the year. I'm just pissed I paid for a 'smart' charger which is, in fact, not smart.

Exactly the same experience as me; the installers came out and replaced something in the Rolec unit and it worked for about a day and then the app shows the car as connected whether it is plugged in or not. It's not a deal breaker for me as currently I am on a fixed price tariff with Scottish Power (which is 13.468p per kwh and 15.2p per day standing charge) so I have no option to charge at an offer peak rate but I will be looking at this when my current dual fuel contract finishes later in the year. I'm just pissed I paid for a 'smart' charger which is, in fact, not smart.
I finally managed to get my Rolec back online. I initially contacted Rolec who did some diagnosis with the ev.energy folks, and they confirmed there was an issue with my Rolec. They then contacted my installer, who took around 2 weeks to get parts in. The installer came out a few days ago and replaced the GPRS/3G module and the separate antenna module, and fingers crossed, my Rolec has been online since (4 or 5 days now); the longest it ever stayed online before was a couple of days. The installer said that the original GPRS/3G module was known to be buggy, and that this replacement one is a new version which will hopefully be reliable.

Looking forward to smart charging again without having to give ev.energy the car's login details.