Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Europe Roadster adapter to Typ2-connector for use 43kW-charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a total fan of Henry's cable. Use it quite often to do some quick 60A charging when needed.

IF RS 3.0 were to support 3-phase icw Type-2 that would just be awesome. I'd get it, even if it wouldn't offer extra range. Obviously, a full package combining the extra range (battery, wheel, aero upgrades) AND Type-2 support AND 3-phase would be just superb. But 3-phase wasn't mentioned so I'm not counting on that. But hoping and dreaming is still permitted, right?

I am a total fan of Henry's cable. Use it quite often to do some quick 60A charging when needed.

IF RS 3.0 were to support 3-phase icw Type-2 that would just be awesome. I'd get it, even if it wouldn't offer extra range. Obviously, a full package combining the extra range (battery, wheel, aero upgrades) AND Type-2 support AND 3-phase would be just superb. But 3-phase wasn't mentioned so I'm not counting on that. But hoping and dreaming is still permitted, right?
Sadly I think 3-phase charging is unlikely. They would have to design a whole new charger module, as there is no existing unit they could deploy effectively (such as the Model S charger). That is rated at 3 phases of 16A each, which is only 48A across all phases and a very expensive way of achieving it - the existing charger will take single phase up to 70A.

Sadly I think 3-phase charging is unlikely. They would have to design a whole new charger module, as there is no existing unit they could deploy effectively (such as the Model S charger). That is rated at 3 phases of 16A each, which is only 48A across all phases and a very expensive way of achieving it - the existing charger will take single phase up to 70A.

Totally agree that it's unlikely.

And I must admit that I forgot to mention the assumption of at least 32A support in the case of 3-phase charging (something equivalent to the 'dual charger' option on the S). Still, I might be interested in 3-phase 16A, because of the abundance of 16A rated charging stations here. Now the RS only lurks at a single phase 16A when hooked on one of those. If 3-phase, the charging rate would improve enormously.

Then again, I would loose the ability to charge at 60A single phase. But that would be a sacrifice that I'd be willing to take because I like that option but ultimately I don't use it as often as a public charging station @ 16A - 3 phase.

Hi

3ph charging would be perfect. It would even make the battery swap (3.0) unnecessary for me. However, I dont believe 3ph charging will happen.

Since this thread is about Type 2 adapter for charging at 1ph, 60A, 14kW at 43kW charging stations I attach a picture of the adapter I have made for this purpose.
Short summary of what has been done:
- Opened up the MC120 plug
- Removed all the 2,5mm2 wiring
- Inserted 10mm2 wiring
- Fitted a male type 2 interface to the MC120 plug and wired it to L1, N, ground and CP on the type 2
- Fitted a female type 2 interface to the charging cable (for home chargin at 13A) wired to L1, N, ground and CP on the type 2. CP is wired to ground.

Dosent look as good as the CAN and its not certified in any way, but it does the job and is tested several time and used daily. No heat generation or voltage drop in any parts of the plug at 60A charging.
Cost for the parts is approx 150EURO and can be done by any reasonably skilled DIY'er.

MC120 converted to type2 60A rated_1.jpg

Excellent !
This Has advantage of going directly from Tesla To Type 2 (without J1772 interface)

Where did you get the Type 2 'socket' attached to the Tesla plug ? it looks like 'Sockets' fitted to Renault Zoe, i3 etc (and is 14mm shorter than sockets on 'flying leads' )
And I guess the 150 Euro does not include the Tesla plug :)

I think If I did this, I'd add about 100cm of cable between Type 2 'socket' and the Tesla plug - simply to minimise cantilever, mechanical loads on the Tesla.

Please exchange 'gender' / 'Plug' / 'Socket' names above, depending on how you see 'Pins' vs 'Sockets inside 'Pins' .... or whatever your personal orientation is :)

Hi

I purchased the type 2 socket at a local Norwegian dealer, but you can get them everywhere:
https://evconnectors.com/Type-2-Ele...p/Type-2-32-amp-Vehicle-Inlets?product_id=173
Its rated for 32A, but the plug will handle 60A without any problems, but you need to drill out the plugs slightly to solder in the 10mm2 wiring.

The type 2 plug you can get from here or any other EV component dealer:
https://evconnectors.com/electric-v...le-Charging-Cables-and-Sockets?product_id=154

The Tesla-plug is my original MC120. I didnt purchase a spare one for this project, hence the price is only for the type 2 parts + some wiring (the price assumes you have some tools, including proper soldering tools to do the job).

The length of the plug doesnt put any mechanical load on the charging inlet of the Roadster. The section between the type 2 socket and the Tesla-plug is flexible and rests on the Roadster-body during charging. If you look closely at the picture you can see I have fitted a thick piece of soft gasket to prevent scratching the paint.

Attached is a simple hand sketch of the wiring.

MC120 converted to type2 60A rated - wiring diagr_1.jpg

Nice work MortenV! I admire your DIY spirit. However, I have some concerns...

...Its rated for 32A, but the plug will handle 60A without any problems, but you need to drill out the plugs slightly to solder in the 10mm2 wiring.

It's not made for 63A and it's debatable whether it's safe for that. There's a reason it's only rated for 32. Also, the standard allows single phase charging up to 70A from the 43kW stations. I haven't heard of any that go higher than 64A but that doesn't mean you won't find one in the future and potentially overheat your adapter. 10mm2 wire is also too small for 70A. That's one of the reasons that IEC 62196 prohibits the use of adapters - they were worried that they would be manufactured with less than full capacity.

There's also a safety issue with re-using the Roadster connector that's made for 13A. You drilled the old, small wires out, and kept drilling to get room for a 10mm2 wire. After doing that there's not enough material left to re-crimp those contacts. So you soldered them instead. That's illegal and for good reason. Your wire is already too small and will generate some heat. Most of the time it will be fine. Then one day you will use a charging station with a dirty or corroded contact and you get a little more heat and the solder melts.

There was a time a few years ago when I would have laughed at the overly cautious man writing this post. But since then I have seen a lot of close calls. A lot of melted wires. A lot of things I never would have expected.

I don't mean to discourage anybody from fabricating their own charging solutions. I'm sure your adapter will serve you well. But I can't keep my mouth shut when I see something potentially hazardous. I hope you can see where I'm coming from.

Happy electric road trips...

Hi

I expected this to come (not meant negatively) :smile:

I am fully aware of the potential risks of doing a modification like this - everything you mention has gone through my mind as well.

I also know that the Roadster amphenol contacts are not made for soldering, but crimping. However I have not drilled into the body of the contacts, I have only taken out the copper insert which the original 2,5mm2 wires are fitted with. There is more than enough room in the amphenol conatcts to fit a 10mm2 wire and solder it. Soldering can be argued not to be ideal as it can crack over time, but done correctly I doubt there is a big risk of this happening. I justify this opinion by looking at the type 2 contacts which are made for soldering.
Corroded contact on the charging station leading to heat generation and melted soldering - well, that could happen, but again looking at type 2 contacts which are made for soldering I evaluate the risk as extremely low.

10mm2 wires are suitable for 63A current. You can only draw max 63A current from the 43kW type 2 charging stations. If it would be a risk of drawing 70A I would have used 13mm2 wires.

Looking at the type 2 socket which is 32A rated you will see that the plugs have more than enough material and cross sectional area to support 60A+. However, it needs some modification to make room for a 10mm2 wire (i believe they are originally prepared for 6mm2 wiring). Even after drilling them out there is more than enough material to deal with the current and the mechanical structure of the plugs are not compromised. In fact, EVs which are prepared for 43kW, 63A rapid charging use the same socket and plugs.

In addition I have to say that I open up my adapter for inspections on a regular basis to check for any signs of heat generation, cracking etc.

All this said, I fully agree with you - there are for sure risks involved in DIY projects like this and my charging solution is not in any way certified (and will not in any case be certified).

Anybody attempting modifications like this should know what they are doing and understand the potential risks involved and that all risk and consequences will be on their shoulders.

Going forward I hope Tesla will replace the Roadster charging inlet with Type 2 together with the 3.0 upgrade. That would put my adapter in the archive of nice DYI projects! :biggrin:

Nice !!! THE perfect solution.

(Dont suppose you'd trade for the USA J1772 version .... only lightly used :wink: .... one careful owner, used just for getting to church on sundays :rolleyes::) )

I'll sell you one as soon as you can get it CE tested so I won't be an outlaw for shipping it to a UK address. Everything is rated for 70A or more which is the highest you're allowed to go on single phase charging in the UK (and I think all of Europe).

I know, everybody says I'm a nutter for worrying about CE marking...

Which is strange as it was ok with the Type 1 and Tesla has no problem with the CHAdeMO adapter (I presume).

I don't sell a Type 1 adapter. I only sell a J1772 adapter. :wink: I sold that to people so they could use it when they come to visit us in the States.

Seriously, the rules are so messed up that I can sell you a SAE J1772 adapter, but it's unclear if I can sell you a Type 2 -> Roadster adapter.:rolleyes:

Is Tesla actually selling the CHAdeMO adapter in Europe? I heard they weren't.

For the Roadster? Or for the Model S?

Haha if they were selling a CHAdeMO adaptor for the Roadster this thread wouldn't exist...

- - - Updated - - -

I don't sell a Type 1 adapter. I only sell a J1772 adapter. :wink: I sold that to people so they could use it when they come to visit us in the States.

Seriously, the rules are so messed up that I can sell you a SAE J1772 adapter, but it's unclear if I can sell you a Type 2 -> Roadster adapter.:rolleyes:

Is Tesla actually selling the CHAdeMO adapter in Europe? I heard they weren't.

Technically the official Tesla Type 1 adapter, the CHAdeMO adapter and the crOhm adapters are all dubious yet have CE marking I'm sure. Maybe the answer is don't say too much.

Else go the Chinese route and just put a C and E on there.

Not sure if this is the most suitable thread to post in but...

According to the German Tesla forum the Swiss company behind the CrOhm boxes (GS-Technology) started a project for 3-phase charging. No changes to the PEM: "The PEM is not rebuilt, but a supplementary electronics installed including water cooling".
Apparently, the project was put "on ice" until more information was released about the 3.0 battery upgrade. That information is now available, so maybe they could de-ice the project and make us happy! I have sent a PM to the guy that posted this..