Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Entire Supercharging Team Fired?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
News yesterday is that the entire 500+ person word-wide SC team has been let go. That is alarming. Why would Elon sack the execs and all the employees of this important part of Tesla's business? Could Tesla be selling the SC network off to a third party? Opinions? Other theories?

29226473368_d3a9e965d2_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides few Rivian CCS stations, i'm not aware of any other EV manufacturer having their own CCS chargers..
I think the closest we get is Porsche has designed and installed a few of their own. (Though I think they gave up on that and are now using Hyperchargers in their newer installs.) Beyond that GM has partnered with EVgo to install sites with Ultium branding, as well as Mercedes installing fast charging sites with ChargePoint hardware.

• Informative
Reactions: brainhouston
Nobody and no company signed this email. Why? Is that because somebody would get sued for defamation from a fake email?
Multiple contractors have confirmed receiving this email direct from someone at Tesla. They have removed the information about who sent it as they are trying to avoid getting their name in public.

It's not fake, but nice try.

Now let's discuss the careful language in the email. Notice how they are warning contractors they won't be paid for a while? Convinient if that happens to slip into Q3. Notice how they tell contractors to not start work? Very useful to limit liability when they get sued for breech of contract.

Do you realize how weak of a defense that is? The if you replaced "diver" with "CEO" then this could be about Musk as much as Vern Unsworth.

And then for that, your defense is hilariously wrong. This testimony literally occurred in court:

Mr Unsworth was also one of the first people on the scene. He had detailed knowledge of those caves, flood patterns, sizes of openings, etc. I mean, the wikipedia page on the event opens with:

Yet you call him "not involved at all". Seems like you are using the same gaslighting playbook that Elon likes to use, and you're not much better than someone that calls someone else a "pedo" with no evidence just because they hurt your feelings.

Even worse, you somehow think that being insulted is justification for Musk calling him a Pedo with no evidence. As if your reader is supposed to go "oh yeah, I can see why the CEO of Tesla did that, it's cool, what an amazing genius Musk is, I'm glad he's so focused on Tesla's success"
Thank you. Yes I very simplified the story but at the end of the day it's what happened. Elon had absolutely no reason to intervene, he was told to essentially get lost, and Elon redlined over it and went way over the line. The independent story sums up pretty well my recollection of the whole thing.

My initial ill feelings for Elon came over the typical Tesla over promise, way later deliver but that's just him/the business and while I didn't love it, it kept myself from becoming a lock step disciple of Elon that so many just blindly can't accept he's a bad person. A guy who has amazing vision yes, but is willing to very much crap on anyone and anything that even hints at a weakness or perceived weakness of him. The pedo comment was just so over the line with no basis in reality other than throwing accusations/showing "but my feelings are hurt" it is what broke any "yay Elon" feelings I could have. Hell Elon could've called him a dumba$$ and I'd be like "well I don't love that, geez Elon get a grip" but I don't think it would've done as much damage as calling someone pretty much the worst thing you can call someone publicly.

I think for a while amongst my friends I called him a donald trump who is doing things I want done (an actual better future), rather than trump who does things I don't want done. Now he's just another donald trump who is fully holding back tesla and many other things (twitter with all the spam bots with their link in bio, and others).

I think as much of my hatred of Elon comes not just from who he is as a person, but it's like when they say don't meet your heros, and well he has let everyone meet who he is.

Multiple contractors have confirmed receiving this email direct from someone at Tesla. They have removed the information about who sent it as they are trying to avoid getting their name in public.

It's not fake, but nice try.

Now let's discuss the careful language in the email. Notice how they are warning contractors they won't be paid for a while? Convinient if that happens to slip into Q3. Notice how they tell contractors to not start work? Very useful to limit liability when they get sued for breech of contract.
Reddit and Electrik and others are proven reliable "sources familiar with" circular referencing each other.

Last edited:
Thank you. Yes I very simplified the story but at the end of the day it's what happened. Elon had absolutely no reason to intervene, he was told to essentially get lost, and Elon redlined over it and went way over the line. The independent story sums up pretty well my recollection of the whole thing.

My initial ill feelings for Elon came over the typical Tesla over promise, way later deliver but that's just him/the business and while I didn't love it, it kept myself from becoming a lock step disciple of Elon that so many just blindly can't accept he's a bad person. A guy who has amazing vision yes, but is willing to very much crap on anyone and anything that even hints at a weakness or perceived weakness of him. The pedo comment was just so over the line with no basis in reality other than throwing accusations/showing "but my feelings are hurt" it is what broke any "yay Elon" feelings I could have. Hell Elon could've called him a dumba$$ and I'd be like "well I don't love that, geez Elon get a grip" but I don't think it would've done as much damage as calling someone pretty much the worst thing you can call someone publicly.

I think for a while amongst my friends I called him a donald trump who is doing things I want done (an actual better future), rather than trump who does things I don't want done. Now he's just another donald trump who is fully holding back tesla and many other things (twitter with all the spam bots with their link in bio, and others).

I think as much of my hatred of Elon comes not just from who he is as a person, but it's like when they say don't meet your heros, and well he has let everyone meet who he is.
I echo this sentiment exactly. The pedo guy debacle is what cemented my negative opinion of musk as a person. Social media has normalized public figures acting like unmitigated aholes, to the detriment of society.

And things still seem to be actively happening with construction/expansion: Equipment delivered to a site for expansion this week:

I just charged here on Friday and Saturday (5/3, 5/4) after the layoffs. This equipment was not there as shown in the picture.

And while there might be some lag in the reporting, Supercharge.info shows that in the US 11 sites entered a construction phase, and 8 sites opened, since "the entire Supercharger team" was laid off:
1715208395452.png

This whole thing seems to be the result of an executive refusing a direct order by Elon, and as a result essentially her entire team was let go. (But there are other "Supercharger teams" that didn't report to her, like the maintenance team, and they were not let go wholesale.)

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Do they have a 2024 version?
Not yet, but only because the 2024 M3P has wider rear tires. The brakes are identical, so the pads will fit. The expensive wheels will fit, but they would be undersized in the rear.

But that doesn't mean they won't, and doesn't change the argument that Tesla absolutely does sell pricey options for their cars like the $20K track pack for a Model S or historically a $5,500 track pack for the Model 3P.

Not yet, but only because the 2024 M3P has wider rear tires. The brakes are identical, so the pads will fit. The expensive wheels will fit, but they would be undersized in the rear.

But ...
On the second paragraph, relax. :)

Just asking about that specific thing, hence the specific quote.

I keep hoping we'll see the 19s offered in some form direct from Tesla (with tire choices!) rather than having to smuggle something from a person in China.

And while there might be some lag in the reporting, Supercharge.info shows that in the US 11 sites entered a construction phase, and 8 sites opened, since "the entire Supercharger team" was laid off:
In the email that @zoomer0056 wants to pretend is fake and libelous, Tesla told contractors to complete work that is in progress, but not start any new work.

Which would be completely inline with sites finishing and getting started in the last week, especially with any delay in reporting. The interesting version of this will be what happens in the next few weeks, and if we see new site construction start in that timeframe. Sites being complemented by contractors is expected per the email.

(But there are other "Supercharger teams" that didn't report to her, like the maintenance team, and they were not let go wholesale.)
The maintenance team by definition doesn't build new sites, so the above is not evidence that the maint team is fully functional. However, I don't think anyone here does believe the whole maintenance team is gone, that seems insane even for Elon. The fundamental question is just how reduced that staff is, and if they will be able to keep current superchargers running efficiently all the way down to managing land leases that may not have been their job before. It's just another question about the whole health of the SC network when the new site build team is gone and the current site maintenance team is being reduced by an unknown amount, and Tesla/Elon have ZERO messaging about what is going on.

anyone know what that was?
It's been discussed over and over in this thread and in the media. In the email that announced the dissolution of Tinucci's team (and other firings), Elon said:

Hopefully these actions are making it clear that we need to be absolutely hard core about headcount and cost reduction. While some on exec staff are taking this seriously, most are not yet doing so.
Many interpret this as that Tinucci pushed back on laying off 10-20% of her team, so Elon just terminated the whole team in reaction. Others say that we don't know why Elon did it, so we shouldn't speculate and just wait and see what happens and assume Elon has a strong plan.

Which would be completely inline with sites finishing and getting started in the last week, especially with any delay in reporting. The interesting version of this will be what happens in the next few weeks, and if we see new site construction start in that timeframe. Sites being complemented by contractors is expected per the email.
I thought it said to only continue if ground had assist been broken. This is a new expansion where it had not already been started or ground broken. And those cabinets were delivered this week.

anyone know what that was?
What I heard is that she told Elon that she couldn't reduce staffing by 14% and keep things operating.

This is a new expansion where it had not already been started or ground broken. And those cabinets were delivered this week.
Here is the email:

To all concerned:

You may be aware that there has been a recent adjustment with the Supercharger organization which is presently undergoing a sudden and thorough restructuring. If you have already received this email, please disregard it as we are attempting to connect with our suppliers and contractors. As part of this process, we are in the midst of establishing new leadership roles, prioritizing projects, and streamlining our payment procedures. Due to the transitional nature of this phase, we are asking for your patience with our response time.

I understand that this period of change may be challenging and that patience is not easy when expecting to be paid, however, I want to express my sincere appreciation for your understanding and support as we navigate through this transition. At this time, please hold on breaking ground on any newly awarded construction projects and planned pre-construction walks. If currently working on an active Supercharging construction site, please continue. Contact [email redacted] for further questions, comments, and concerns. Additionally, hold on working on any new material orders. Contact [email redacted] for further questions, comments, and concerns. If waiting on delayed payment, please contact [email redacted] for a status update. Thank you for your cooperation and patience.

Wouldn't a site that is receiving supercharger cabinets be reasonably interpreted as an "active" site? For all we know Tesla dropped those off because they are so chaotic inside that they didn't halt the delivery. There's nothing black and white about the above email, other than it does clearly communicate that nothing is as it was the week before.

What is the legal definition of "breaking ground" anyway? One definition is:
Groundbreaking means the date after Landlord has obtained final permits and entitlements and started construction activities with regard to the Building.
So you could say that getting all your permits and ordering supplies to build is breaking ground even if you haven't literally touched the ground yet.

In a time of complete chaos, I don't think the fact that a few supercharger cabinets were dropped off this week tells us anything about if that is per policy, or if that is indicative of how all buildouts are going, or how maintenance will go in the future.

This whole thing seems to be the result of an executive refusing a direct order by Elon, and as a result essentially her entire team was let go. (But there are other "Supercharger teams" that didn't report to her, like the maintenance team, and they were not let go wholesale.)

There is 2 details:
1. If the head of division is not executing an order, fire her and get someone else in to downsize. IIRC, Elon wanted a 20% reduction, why suddenly eliminate 100% and an entire organization to grow what many argue is the most valuable part of the entire company (with guaranteed income!)
2. The SC department seems to be the creator group, making the plans. The builders are the end users, putting all the parts the creators made together.

YES, the SC will be maintained, but everything I read says it is unlikely there will be an expansion after the current projects are done.
Except it seems Elon suddenly started rehiring back a select few (kind of like he did was Twitter), which emphasizes his highly emotional (thus chaotic) type of management.

Reactions: gglockner
What I heard is that she told Elon that she couldn't reduce staffing by 14% and keep things operating.
She said can't be done, Elon cuts off a successful appendage of Tesla to prove he can. Talk about cutting off nose to spite face!!

HOWEVER:
I will say she should have asked for more time to prepare of reduction of staff, and offer up 16% reduction.