Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced autopilot UK - Traffic lights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, new Tesla owner here, M3LD.
I have enhanced autopilot (also v disappointed that most of it seems to be missing!) but when I test drove a car a few weeks ago the car recognised lights and highlighted the stop line onthe road with the light colour. This caused it to sop at reds and drive away on green while on cruise.
My car doesn't do this, will only bong when a green appears. Am I missing something in the settings or something?

This caused it to sop at reds and drive away on green while on cruise.

I don't think mine (which has FSD) will do that (in the way that you have described it), but can't say I've tried it recently. I normally only use Autopilot on dual carriageways (other than to see if a recent version has changed anything on "city streets")

I reckon if I am behind some traffic, on regular AP Cruise even, the traffic stops, and then resumes (regardless of whether LIghts or some other reason) my car will just blindly follow the one in front.

First-at-the-lights would be different.

I checked the CONFIG in my (FSD) car for "With the vehicle in Park, touch Controls > Autopilot > Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control."

I have that option, and it is selected and ON.

Either its the same traffic light option that I selected ages ago (and which latterly gives me a BEEP when the lights turn green and I haven't noticed)

Or maybe a recent upgrade [adding more features] retained my choice ...

But I wasn't aware that it would do what O/P said of "setting off when light turns green". But I would expect it to follow-car-in-front when that sets off (on regular Cruise even)

The DOCs (and my experience) are that the car will slow (and then stop) for a green light, and it needs a dab of throttle to confirm that the car can drive through the green light (and even then, if light turns Amber, it will stop (if sufficient distance available)

Not sure I've sat first-at-the-lights on FSD to know if when light turns Green then dab-throttle will make it set off. I'm not normally using AP in that sort of "city streets" scenario.

Perhaps O/P mis-remembering that "This caused it to sop at reds and drive away on green while on cruise"

I reckon it would stop at GREEN lights as well! (if no throttle-dab), and maybe "drive away on green" might have been "follow car in front" ?

This is the way it works. It stops at a red. Dings when green but you have to engage. With flowing traffic you have to yank the stalk down once even if light is green but ONLY if it can't see a car moving in front of it. No car in front to see then you have to keep cranking (or wanking ;))
Stop and go for red/green is only done for FSD

I checked the CONFIG in my (FSD) car for "With the vehicle in Park, touch Controls > Autopilot > Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control."

I have that option, and it is selected and ON.

Either its the same traffic light option that I selected ages ago (and which latterly gives me a BEEP when the lights turn green and I haven't noticed)

Or maybe a recent upgrade [adding more features] retained my choice ...

But I wasn't aware that it would do what O/P said of "setting off when light turns green". But I would expect it to follow-car-in-front when that sets off (on regular Cruise even)

The DOCs (and my experience) are that the car will slow (and then stop) for a green light, and it needs a dab of throttle to confirm that the car can drive through the green light (and even then, if light turns Amber, it will stop (if sufficient distance available)

Not sure I've sat first-at-the-lights on FSD to know if when light turns Green then dab-throttle will make it set off. I'm not normally using AP in that sort of "city streets" scenario.

Perhaps O/P mis-remembering that "This caused it to sop at reds and drive away on green while on cruise"

I reckon it would stop at GREEN lights as well! (if no throttle-dab), and maybe "drive away on green" might have been "follow car in front" ?
You could be right, it was my first Tesla drive in many years so I was a little giddy ;)

It definitely highlighted the stop line in the road display though and mine doesn't do that - do others?
(still waiting for a meaningful response from Tesla and the service centre manager - are they always rubbish at responding to questions?)

Just found this, looks like I may have been driving a car with FSD: