Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy in 2030; 15 year prediction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt you'll see module costs that low. $50 panels? Who is making any money at that price point?
Solar will be at 25% of total, well over 100% at peak hours in all areas where it makes sense.
Close to 40-50% of new car sales will be pure EVs/fuel cell.
Can't wait for free midday "fuel ups"! That's pretty much a lock to happen.

$50 for 8 gb ram sticks, it'll never happen! Who could possibly make money when 256 mb sells for $200 now! :)

As far as I know there's no big physical limit that will prevent solar from a slow but steady drop over time, at least on the timescales we're talking about here. Generation and cost efficiencies have been progressing at a reasonably brisk pace.

$50 for 8 gb ram sticks, it'll never happen! Who could possibly make money when 256 mb sells for $200 now! :)

As far as I know there's no big physical limit that will prevent solar from a slow but steady drop over time, at least on the timescales we're talking about here. Generation and cost efficiencies have been progressing at a reasonably brisk pace.

+1

The primary ingredients are aluminum and silicon... literally two of the most common elements on the Earths crust... most analysts would have thought you were crazy for predicting $0.50/w... yet here we are :wink:

From what I've seen it's ~1-2 years depending on size.

The large scale projects like Desert Sunlight (550MW), Rice Solar Energy (150MW), Stateline Solar (300MW),Henrietta Solar Project (100MW), (Crescent Dunes (110MW), Topaz (550MW), etc all seem to take 5 to 7 years from start of planning to completion. I didn't see any in the 1 to 2 years for these large scale projects. Typically took 2 years to just get all permits.

The large scale projects like Desert Sunlight (550MW), Rice Solar Energy (150MW), Stateline Solar (300MW),Henrietta Solar Project (100MW), (Crescent Dunes (110MW), Topaz (550MW), etc all seem to take 5 to 7 years from start of planning to completion. I didn't see any in the 1 to 2 years for these large scale projects. Typically took 2 years to just get all permits.

Source?

No doubt the first few farms took longer as officials try to sort out various assessments that they are unfamiliar with... logistics is also MUCH less of an issue now.

This 80MW farm is expected to be completed ~18 months from when officials started looking into its construction...

The speed at which these are constructed is accelerating nearly as fast as the cost is falling...

I am curious... what exactly is your point in regards to time required to construct a solar farm?

Last edited by a moderator:
Source?

No doubt the first few farms took longer as officials try to sort out various assessments that they are unfamiliar with... logistics is also MUCH less of an issue now.

This 80MW farm is expected to be completed ~18 months from when officials started looking into its construction...

The speed at which these are constructed is accelerating nearly as fast as the cost is falling...

I am curious... what exactly is your point in regards to time required to construct a solar farm?

My point is I don't see any way that the majority of fossil fuels will be replaced by 2030. Not only do you need to develop the Solar and storage facilities you need to develop cars and trucks that people want to drive and can afford compared to ICE vehicles. As of now there are not many trucks in development and the US really likes and in many cases need their trucks. In my case I need my 4 wheel drive Expedition for towing my boat and Search and Rescue. Depending on the towing capacity of the Tesla X it could solve my problem on towing but not sure how off road capable it will be. Replacing my Expedition with a $100,000 Tesla X certainly would not be the economic thing to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
My point is I don't see any way that the majority of fossil fuels will be replaced by 2030. Not only do you need to develop the Solar and storage facilities you need to develop cars and trucks that people want to drive and can afford compared to ICE vehicles. As of now there are not many trucks in development and the US really likes and in many cases need their trucks. In my case I need my 4 wheel drive Expedition for towing my boat and Search and Rescue. Depending on the towing capacity of the Tesla X it could solve my problem on towing but not sure how off road capable it will be. Replacing my Expedition with a $100,000 Tesla X certainly would not be the economic thing to do.

???? YOU'VE already replaced the 'MAJORITY' of YOUR consumption and it's only 2015!.... You've got Solar... right? You've got a Tesla... right? What percentage of your energy use is devoted to towing boats with an Expedition?

Let's break this down... do you disagree with any of these?

- Solar PV LCOE either is now or will be less than ANY fossil fuel by 2020.
- Storage is not needed <30% renewables wind AND solar
- Demand Response alone can get us to ~50% renewables
- EV car ~200 mile range will be cheaper than equivalent ICE car ~2025
- Storage will experience similar growth to solar over the next ~25 years

I never claimed a majority by 2030... more likely 2040. It will take years to completely replace our ICE fleet. Obviously trucks and SUVs will remain a necessary evil until batteries can catch up but adding a ~10kWh pack for a PHEV truck like VIA motors would be a good bridge. Squandering resources on novelties like corvettes, Cameros and Mustangs needs to end yesterday. It's sick and pathetic to use a necessary evil for a 'want'... not a 'need'.

I don't see any way that a defeatist attitude helps anything. I wish more people devoted as much energy to finding and implementing solutions as they appear to devote to finding reasons those solutions are impossible. How many people said that the Model S was 'impossible'... yet there it is.

Here's my point;
In the last ~3 years I've installed ~50kW of solar... now generating ~70MWh/y. We're a country of ~300M that uses ~4000TWh/y. If 20% do what I've done at 20% the rate over the next 15 years we'll be at 100% solar by 2030 (No I don't literally think 100% solar is advisable... we need wind too... that's just a simple example). That 50kW cost ~$70k and will pay for itself over ~5 years.

If we give this addiction the attention it deserves and made it a priority there's absolutely no reason we can't kick this fossil fuel habit over the next ~25 years.

Look at the transformation US industry went through from 1930 => 1945... A LOT can happen in 15 years. Climate change is arguably a greater existential threat than Japan and Germany were 70 years ago. It demands a similar level of attention.

Last edited:
???? YOU'VE already replaced the 'MAJORITY' of YOUR consumption and it's only 2015!.... You've got Solar... right? You've got a Tesla... right? What percentage of your energy use is devoted to towing boats with an Expedition?

Let's break this down... do you disagree with any of these?

- Solar PV LCOE either is now or will be less than ANY fossil fuel by 2020.
- Storage is not needed <30% renewables wind AND solar
- Demand Response alone can get us to ~50% renewables
- EV car ~200 mile range will be cheaper than equivalent ICE car ~2025
- Storage will experience similar growth to solar over the next ~25 years

I never claimed a majority by 2030... more likely 2040. It will take years to completely replace our ICE fleet. Obviously trucks and SUVs will remain a necessary evil until batteries can catch up but adding a ~10kWh pack for a PHEV truck like VIA motors would be a good bridge. Squandering resources on novelties like corvettes, Cameros and Mustangs needs to end yesterday. It's sick and pathetic to use a necessary evil for a 'want'... not a 'need'.

I don't see any way that a defeatist attitude helps anything. I wish more people devoted as much energy to finding and implementing solutions as they appear to devote to finding reasons those solutions are impossible. How many people said that the Model S was 'impossible'... yet there it is.

Here's my point;
In the last ~3 years I've installed ~50kW of solar... now generating ~70MWh/y. We're a country of ~300M that uses ~4000TWh/y. If 20% do what I've done at 20% the rate over the next 15 years we'll be at 100% solar by 2030 (No I don't literally think 100% solar is advisable... we need wind too... that's just a simple example). That 50kW cost ~$70k and will pay for itself over ~5 years.

If we give this addiction the attention it deserves and made it a priority there's absolutely no reason we can't kick this fossil fuel habit over the next ~25 years.

Look at the transformation US industry went through from 1930 => 1945... A LOT can happen in 15 years. Climate change is arguably a greater existential threat than Japan and Germany were 70 years ago. It demands a similar level of attention.

So we shouldn't squander our resources on Corvettes, etc. My hobby for the last 50 years has been my cars. I still have my first two cars that get about 12 miles per gallon. I don't drive them much but I do enjoy them. I also have an 07 Corvette that gets between 20 and 26.5 miles per gallon which I use quite often since my wife uses the Tesla. Now I could stop driving them. I could also shut off my air conditioning and heating to save energy. I could stop taking trips, etc, etc. My solar really works well in the summer but not so well in the winter. I still use almost as much electricity in the winter as I used to use in the summer. IWe also still use the same amount of propane for heating, cooking and the dryer. So I am saving energy but I'm still using a lot of fossil fuels. In the winter my 12 kw system drops to about 10 percent what it does in the peak summer. Since your system is generating 70MWh/year you must be selling a lot back to the utility or you are a real heavy user of energy. My total electric use before solar and the Tesla was about 18MWh/year. The Tesla will probably add about 3MWh (10,000 Miles/year) so my total will be about 21MWh. My system produces about 12MWh/year. If I installed more solar than what I use on a yearly basis PG&E would only pay me 4 cents per KWh which certainly would not pay out. My initial payout was mainly reducing the higher tier rates during the summer. The payout is even better now that I have gone to the EVA-1 rate.

The average electric use in the US is 10.9MWh per household. So they have little incentive to install any more than that if they are connected to PG&E. I also believe as more folks go to solar the cost to run the fossil fuel plants at inefficient rates will cause the cost to go up when needed. They will also reluctant to pay us for providing power to the grid when they don't need it. They certainly won't pay us 42.5 cents per KWh and sell it back to us at night for 10 cents per KWh. The main reason that Utilities currently give incentives for solar is that it keeps them from installing more base load to meet summer air conditioning needs. Once enough solar is installed that utilities need to provide more power during the night than day the rate structure will have to completely change.

Since your system is generating 70MWh/year you must be selling a lot back to the utility or you are a real heavy user of energy. My total electric use before solar and the Tesla was about 18MWh/year. The Tesla will probably add about 3MWh (10,000 Miles/year) so my total will be about 21MWh. My system produces about 12MWh/year. If I installed more solar than what I use on a yearly basis PG&E would only pay me 4 cents per KWh which certainly would not pay out. My initial payout was mainly reducing the higher tier rates during the summer. The payout is even better now that I have gone to the EVA-1 rate.

System(s); The PV system on my residence is 10.4kW... 8kW on a rental... and ~30 more kW spread out across the homes of friends I've assisted. You have a 12kW system in Ca that only produces 12MWh/y? You might need to get that looked at... you should be producing ~20MWh/y...

In the Navy if there was a fire on board you wouldn't just sit in your rack (bed) and let your shipmates on watch figure it out... if they lose you lose. We're all in this together; we need to do what we can. I should have another 14kW system on-line in a few days/weeks we'll see how things go...

Yeah... things are gonna have to change... breaking this addiction is a moral obligation and it's 100% technically feasible. Utilities are gonna have to adapt. It's not like they aren't already creatures of the government so if they can't change with the times then the times will change them.

100% energy displacement is obviously not going to be feasible in all cases; That's where utility scale wind and solar would carry the balance.

System(s); The PV system on my residence is 10.4kW... 8kW on a rental... and ~30 more kW spread out across the homes of friends I've assisted. You have a 12kW system in Ca that only produces 12MWh/y? You might need to get that looked at... you should be producing ~20MWh/y...

In the Navy if there was a fire on board you wouldn't just sit in your rack (bed) and let your shipmates on watch figure it out... if they lose you lose. We're all in this together; we need to do what we can. I should have another 14kW system on-line in a few days/weeks we'll see how things go...

Yeah... things are gonna have to change... breaking this addiction is a moral obligation and it's 100% technically feasible. Utilities are gonna have to adapt. It's not like they aren't already creatures of the government so if they can't change with the times then the times will change them.

100% energy displacement is obviously not going to be feasible in all cases; That's where utility scale wind and solar would carry the balance.

The output of any solar system depends on the orientation and shading. My roof like most others is not in the best orientation for maximum solar output. I also have some tree and mountain shading. There are many if not most of the homes in my subdivision that have these issues that make solar uneconomic. Cutting down all the trees would help generate more solar power but require more air conditioning during the summer. It would also ruin the natural beauty of our area. By the way your 10.4 Kw system is one home. The rest I assume are about the same so that's 4 other homes. So if 20% did what you did by getting their friends to install solar your are really talking about 5 homes each at at 10Kw or 100% of all homes.

The output of any solar system depends on the orientation and shading. My roof like most others is not in the best orientation for maximum solar output. I also have some tree and mountain shading. There are many if not most of the homes in my subdivision that have these issues that make solar uneconomic.

There is also the labor rate that keeps residential roof-top solar close to $4/watt, to install. Over the STC rating, of .2, that becomes $20/watt. Since you aren't oriented well, perhaps a .13CF would make that cost over $30/watt!! Robotic installations of utility solar are a novel concept, because it is labor costs that are part of its fixed bottom price. Another element is land. I hope regional state plans pave tracts of cheap desert. We'll see.

From the beginning of this thread, I have no idea why nwdiver puts natural gas + hydro together, or how his 5% estimate for coal jives with, say, the Clean Power Plan's estimate for 27%, in 2030? I hope we do build a "blue square", but don't want to end up apologizing to my grand kids because, "Ooops, I over-estimated". I think Nextera has big plans for utility scale solar, near CA. Maybe he knows more? Another reality is the wrong political alignment can reverse a whole lot. They did it to Jimmy Carter's roof ;)

There is also the labor rate that keeps residential roof-top solar close to $4/watt, to install. Over the STC rating, of .2, that becomes $20/watt. Since you aren't oriented well, perhaps a .13CF would make that cost over $30/watt!! Robotic installations of utility solar are a novel concept, because it is labor costs that are part of its fixed bottom price. Another element is land. I hope regional state plans pave tracts of cheap desert. We'll see.

From the beginning of this thread, I have no idea why nwdiver puts natural gas + hydro together, or how his 5% estimate for coal jives with, say, the Clean Power Plan's estimate for 27%, in 2030? I hope we do build a "blue square", but don't want to end up apologizing to my grand kids because, "Ooops, I over-estimated". I think Nextera has big plans for utility scale solar, near CA. Maybe he knows more? Another reality is the wrong political alignment can reverse a whole lot. They did it to Jimmy Carter's roof ;)

???? Where are you getting this crazy STC conversion of 0.2? A 10kW (STC) array produces ~15MWh/y... let's use your boutique # of $4/w; That's a lifetime cost of ~$0.13/kWh... where does the $30/w bit come in? Is this somehow a $300k array that costs $40k? Even under less than ideal conditions a 10kW array (STC) would have a CF of 0.17. Why are you effectively adjusting for CF twice?

I agree roof-top installs have a ways to go at least in the US. Germany has gotten them down to ~$2/w.

This is from ~3 years ago so things have improved a bit;
gchart-US-vs-German-solar-cost-2012-revisedDec2012.png

That's why the DIY project can save A LOT... few more months and the BOS (Balance of system) cost will be <$1/w :love:

I don't remember why I lumped gas and hydro... probably because that's the best spinning reserve so I just lumped them together.

Last edited:
This thread is fascinating for me, particularly when most of us are probably far more enthused than any other subset of the populace almost anywhere on earth. Still the discussion is very North America-centric.

There are huge swaths of the world with vast potential for solar and wind that have essentially none, and make any use of either extremely difficult. Sadly, Brazil is a case in point. I have solar hot water in my house in Rio de Janeiro, but so far have not managed the bureaucratic nightmare for either solar or wind, both of which are entirely practical in my location. Storage of any type is prohibitively expensive and hard to obtain. Most of the densely populated world is similar, and the cleaner countries are pleased to export their pollution to those countries like Brazil, India and China that are unrelenting polluters and feel entitled to repeat the errors of those which industrialised centuries ago and created the mess we have. There are plentiful statistics to back up my assertions, but we do not really need them. We do need a serious global cooperation to build incentives for those countries to clean up their act. China, to a degree, is doing that themselves. OTOH, the Amazon River Basin supplies about 1/5 of the worlds fresh water and a similar percentage of carbon absorption. We are destroying the entire ecosystem bit by bit in order to produce soy for much of Asia, beef (itself the single largest source of methane in the world) for US and worldwide cheap hamburgers, and all sorts of minerals and metals. Nothing we are discussing here will have material positive effect so long as we do not address these larger issues also.

Nothing I just said detracts from my enthusiasm about our subject in the thread, just that I hope we'll do some thinking about how to expand our sights to help address the Morgan Freeman video discussed issues.

As for the specifics here. Several people allude to energy storage as a key. JB, among others, raises that issue quite specifically from time to time when he speaks about Tesla. A vast variety of storage options can easily be deployed at national scales by adopting everything from mini-cycle hydro (pumping water up at peak generation times, using it at peak demand times) which is cheap but not too efficient, to Tesla Powerwall, molten metals (aluminium smelters, for example), compressed gases (even Hydrogen) and so on. As many people have pointed out, these solutions can quite easily be deployed piecemeal on a distributed basis thus alleviating much of the huge scaled capital outlays. The key to having all this work is the Smart grid, about which much is written and proposed, but little done, so far. Without Smart Grid, utilities will be unable to adequately plan to avoid the overcapacity they now require to meet peak demands. As most of us probably know, if the demand can be stable, even dirty fossil fuels can be used much more efficiently than if they must have rapid fluctuating demand curves. We will not be able to use all the wonderful storage without a Smart grid to help do capacity planning and management to deal with the increasing peaks and valleys in both production and consumption of energy.

No comprehensive solutions are going to happen without a dramatic change in incentives for power utilities. In most countries and sub-national utility jurisdictions power pricing is based on a combination of amortised capital and marginal production costs, virtually always on a marginal cost basis. That gives utilities a perverse incentive to increase capital costs and overbuild marginal capacity, but generally minimal or no incentive to reduce peak generation capacity in favor of storage solutions. At best they play with the issue. Any of us who, like me, have provided services to power utilities, may be accustomed to the frequent request to increase the size and duration of a project in order to qualify for inclusion in a rate base.

Thus, I suggest that if in the US, in particular, we expect to meet any of the 2030 objectives the process MUST include provisions for utilities to:
1) fund and capitalise in their rate base distributed storage;
2) fund and capitalise in their rate base distributed power generation, with tiered incentives based on 'greenness' hopefully based on objective criteria without specific technologies specified;
3) Cease authorising new large scale power generation plants to meet peak demand unless steps 1 and 2 are proven to be inadequate to meet demand;
4) Include Smart Grid enabling technologies in rate base with accelerated recognition.

All of that and a few other steps might induce some short term price hikes, but also a plethora of tired rates, just as is already happening. Overall rates will gradually decrease.

The EU might be a good model, and Denmark in particular, since they already produce 39% of electricity from wind, and are linked in the European grid. Norway is a great example too, maybe for us especially given their addiction to our favourite car.

Energy in Denmark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If we do some serious thinking we might all agree that the impediments to these developments are truly no longer technological nor scale. Both technological development and scale issues are problems to be solved, but not real impediments.

The impediment is political will. The problem if political will in the US is a combination of ignorance, usually wilful, and a hypocritical objection to anything that might threaten the oil and gas industry specifically including traditional auto manufacturers, their franchised dealers, gasoline stations and old-fashioned public utilities.

it is no accident that Michigan and Texas are two tesla-hating states. It is also no accident that national politicians in the US are loath to upset so many of their large political contributors. So, is there a way to deal with these issues? Are not these the core issues impeding the nice graphs we all make?

We might well also note that the collective subsidies for the oil and gas industry, from depletion allowances to US Coast Guard protection of Persian Gulf oil rigs, to direct support of several OPEC governments add up to roughly 75 US cents per gallon of gasoline sold in the US, according to one report I saw.

If the US obtains energy from domestic wind and solar in 2030 at the level that Denmark does today, how much imported oil would be needed? How much coal-fired production would be needed?

Sorry for a polemic without many numbers or charts.

I suspect the government's cozy relationship with Petrobras clouds the energy market in Brazil somewhat. That said, it's my understanding that Brazil is starting to move into wind power somewhat. I'd be surprised if panels & batteries aren't appearing in the favelas.

Across the mountains, Chile is fast emerging as the South American leader in solar with a GW of utility-scale installed so far this year, the Atacama is certainly a good place for it. Remote mines are adding solar as well to reduce the need for diesel generation. The economics are just too compelling to ignore.

As for fixing the incentives for utilities... As costs get cheap enough, the ones pursuing the "keep raising costs" model are going to find themselves in a death spiral as customers flee to cheaper off-grid systems leaving the utilities to cover increasing costs from a shrinking customer base. Left alone the market will sort itself out eventually, but smart regulations would speed things up while preventing a lot of bankruptcies and investments turning to sunk costs, as well as climate and investor harm.

I suspect the government's cozy relationship with Petrobras clouds the energy market in Brazil somewhat. That said, it's my understanding that Brazil is starting to move into wind power somewhat. I'd be surprised if panels & batteries aren't appearing in the favelas.

Across the mountains, Chile is fast emerging as the South American leader in solar with a GW of utility-scale installed so far this year, the Atacama is certainly a good place for it. Remote mines are adding solar as well to reduce the need for diesel generation. The economics are just too compelling to ignore.

As for fixing the incentives for utilities... As costs get cheap enough, the ones pursuing the "keep raising costs" model are going to find themselves in a death spiral as customers flee to cheaper off-grid systems leaving the utilities to cover increasing costs from a shrinking customer base. Left alone the market will sort itself out eventually, but smart regulations would speed things up while preventing a lot of bankruptcies and investments turning to sunk costs, as well as climate and investor harm.
The Petrobras situation is not really a factor, insofar as it is used as a bank by the ruling political party which steals it blind. The favelas do not use any solar at all because they get free electricity from the grid by 'cat' connections that steal the power. Wind power is little used because there is nobody to pay the bribes. Basically all infrastructure projects are funded only if there are sufficient kickbacks, thus solar and wind have no chance. Believe it or not my comments are not really cynical. FWIW, all that is comprehensively reported and documented. Solar panels, grid-tied inverters and batteries (lead-acid only) are available but only at very high prices and limited availability. Getting permits to use them is also difficult, time-consuming and very expensive. It's tough to do without paying exorbitant 'facilitating fees". For the moment I have given up, especially because the utility demands a higher rate for energy use when using grid-interconnection, and it is prohibited to leave the grid entirely, in my area anyway.

Chile is far less corrupt and also does not have internal petroleum production so they are the leaders of the Southern Cone.

I agree with your observations in your last paragraph. the only question is timing, isn't it?

Thus, I suggest that if in the US, in particular, we expect to meet any of the 2030 objectives the process MUST include provisions for utilities to:
1) fund and capitalise in their rate base distributed storage;
2) fund and capitalise in their rate base distributed power generation, with tiered incentives based on 'greenness' hopefully based on objective criteria without specific technologies specified;
3) Cease authorising new large scale power generation plants to meet peak demand unless steps 1 and 2 are proven to be inadequate to meet demand;
4) Include Smart Grid enabling technologies in rate base with accelerated recognition.
I agree with these points, with the proviso to #3 that new large-scale renewable generation should be able to proceed. While distributed solar is cost-effective, distributed wind, hydro, and marine hydrokinetics are not. The hurdle for building new gas-fired plants should be high and linked to integrating renewables. New coal and nuclear shouldn't happen in the U.S., IMO, or at the least should have a very high burden of proof of need.