Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EMF (radiation) emissions from Tesla batteries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my Tesla 3 two years ago, and my PSA numbers have been going up over that same period. It is now at 14, and my urologist is worried. I’m not sure if my daily 3 hour exposure to EMF is a contributing factor, just curious if anybody else has had a similar experience.

Upvote 0
It is my understanding harmful radiation levels (EMF) are being emitted from the passenger floor board and charging station/charging port. How can my passenger be protected from these emissions.
Its been 6+ years, but I remember reading that most new ICE cars had higher EMF levels inside the car than the S or X back in the day due to the extra shielding that was put into the cars. That was before supercharging was so prolific, so I don't think that was part of the test. But you can just leave when charging. No clue if there have been any recent studies on the Y, but try disabling the wifi and have the sensitive family member sit behind the drivers seat next time.

Upvote 0
The ignorance and ridicule in this thread is not becoming for a serious forum. There is absolutely zero doubt EVs emit on a complex mix of frequencies.

Even a cursory look at an scientific study on the mater should make it abundantly clear that these emissions are on a level that need to be taken seriously. Whether they are harmful or not is an ongoing scientific discussion, and like in all discussions there are differing opinions.

Having worked with military radio and comms equipment I can attest that radiation shielding is a real world consideration not to be taken lightly.

The fact that some people choose to disregard the potential damaging effects of exposure has no bearing on the question of whether such exposure can be harmful. There are always going to be people who live of junk food and wonder why their health is poor.

Complex Electromagnetic Issues Associated with the Use of Electric Vehicles in Urban Transportation​

The electromagnetic field (EMF) in electric vehicles (EVs) affects not only drivers, but also passengers (using EVs daily) and electronic devices inside. This article summarizes the measurement methods applicable in studies of complex EMF in EVs focused on the evaluation of characteristics of such exposure to EVs users and drivers, together with the results of investigations into the static magnetic field (SMF), the extremely low-frequency magnetic field (ELF) and radiofrequency (RF) EMF related to the use of the EVs in urban transportation. The investigated EMF components comply separately with limits provided by international labor law and guidelines regarding the evaluation of human short-term exposure; however other issues need attention—electromagnetic immunity of electronic devices and long-term human exposure. The strongest EMF was found in the vicinity of direct current (DC) charging installations—SMF up to 0.2 mT and ELF magnetic field up to 100 µT—and inside the EVs—up to 30 µT close to its internal electrical equipment. Exposure to RF EMF inside the EVs (up to a few V/m) was found and recognized to be emitted from outdoor radiocommunications systems, together with emissions from sources used inside vehicles, such as passenger mobile communication handsets and antennas of Wi-Fi routers.

Conclusion: Considering the chronic nature of exposure to EMF in EVs (in particular with respect to potential exposure to drivers when various EMF sources are located near their cabins), and the potential specific risks from exposure to EMF of complex composition in time and frequency domains, there is a need to collect research data on the complex characteristics of EMF exposure related to the use of EVs in public transportation and the associated health outcome in chronically exposed workers, as well as decreasing the level of their exposure by applying relevant preventive measures (e.g., locating indoor Wi-Fi routers, and other such electrical equipment, away from the driver’s cabin) [17,23,42,43,44].

Upvote 0
I bought my Tesla 3 two years ago, and my PSA numbers have been going up over that same period. It is now at 14, and my urologist is worried. I’m not sure if my daily 3 hour exposure to EMF is a contributing factor, just curious if anybody else has had a similar experience.
I had the same almost exact thing happen to me, except the PSA was higher. I ended up getting the operation..However..that was 10 years before Tesla had any vehicles on the road.

Upvote 0
To the OP... you're not crazy. Sorry that some folks here are a bit rude/ignorant as a result. The truth is, I don't think anyone here would rest their head up against their microwave oven while it's cooking something at high power. But little do they know, the iPhone in their pocket is giving off just as much radiation, or more.

All they have to do is go buy a decent EMF reader and do the test themselves to find out. Here's the one that I have (and recommend to anyone that's worried about these types of radiations): Trifield® EMF Meter Model TF2 - TriField

There's plenty of videos on Youtube demonstrating the dangers with this very EMF reader for anyone interested in learning more about it. It's shocking learning about what's really dangerous in your home. The computer you're sitting in front of... your Wifi router. It's scary. But there's ways to mitigate it if you're smart and do the research.

For reference, my background involves working with some the best neurosurgeons in the world. I organize their lectures at major conferences here and across the pond. They've studied the huge uptick in head and upper body cancers in the last 15 years or so and attribute that to the advent of the smartphone. There's also been a huge rise in lower extremity cancers, especially in men, while the upper extremity cancers (breast and brain cancers) seem to affect women more. They put 2+2 together and determined men typically keep their cell phones in their pockets, hence the uptick in things like colon and prostate cancers. Women (no offense), speak on their phones for long periods of time more often than men. Some keep their phone in their bra when not in use (uptick in head and breast cancers in women).

You won't catch any of these neurosurgeons wearing a smartwatch or using AirPods, either. Although some will use the smartwatches for tracking workouts in airplane mode (which cuts off the bluetooth and wifi). They say AirPods are as bad for one's brain as cigarettes are for the lungs.

But I digress. Evidence can fall out of the sky, land on someone's face and start to wiggle... but they'll still blow it off and tell you to put on a tinfoil cap.

Just ignore them.

Something you might be able to do is get EMF blocking fabric to put under the floor mat on that side of the car if that's where you've isolated the dangerous levels of EMF. Here's a good guide on where to find that type of fabric:

When someone cites that a government agency, like the FDA or CDC for example, says something is safe, they don't know what they're talking about. The neurosurgeons laugh at the 'food pyramid'. Bought and paid for by lobbyists in the processed food industry. You better believe Apple, Google and the rest of big tech plays a big role ($$$) in what the FDA or CDC recommends for electronics.

Nobody should get too worked up over this, either. The conveniences technology offers us makes it impossible to rid your environment of the potential dangerous side effects. Potential being the key word there. But everyone can minimize the impacts on their health if they do the research.

Thank you to the OP for bringing this to my attention. I'm going to bring this up with the neurosurgeons at the next conference. I don't think electric vehicles were even on their radar. But it's on mine now and I'll be doing my own EMF tests in that regard. If you get an EMF blocking fabric and you have good results with it, please let me know! I'd be curious as to how that works out.
Excellent scientific approach, @MatthewMichael. Many regulatory bodies are funded and/or influenced by the industries they're meant to regulate, either directly or indirectly (for profit and non-profits alike). Just check their financial reports (follow the money). Anyone running a business in a large industry would want a seat at the table of those regulating them. If you don't, your competitor will, and find a way to run you and fellow competitors under. The electronics sector is no exception. We need regulatory bodies, but when the game is fixed, one should take appropriate precautionary measures accordingly. Let the people randomly yelling "nut job" without providing scientific data or logical analysis continue to look like nut jobs. Love Tesla & SpaceX. Due diligence never hurt anyone.

Upvote 0
I'd be worried about the other 21 hours a day you're apparently spending in a faraday cage. Isolation and loneliness can cause serious health issues.
And holding a cell phone to his brain or his house Wifi or cooking his meals with that microwave oven or walking outside getting radiation bombardment from the Sun and not to mention the Radon coming up from the ground below his house.

Upvote 0