Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Emergency door handle damages windows?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
practically everyone who rides in my 3 instinctively wants to pull the emergency release handle to open the door. So far I’ve been able to stop everyone but one day I might not be fast enough.

I’ve heard it will break the window if they pull it. Is this true? If it is, this was a very stupid design imo.

practically everyone who rides in my 3 instinctively wants to pull the emergency release handle to open the door. So far I’ve been able to stop everyone but one day I might not be fast enough.

I’ve heard it will break the window if they pull it. Is this true? If it is, this was a very stupid design imo.
It's not true that it will immediately break the window... it's not a self-destruct lever after all. Mine has been opened a number of times with the lever, when I didn't remember to inform newbie riders in time, and no discernible damage yet. When opening with the lever, the window does not retract before the door opens, and that means the window is still seated in the window seal rubber molding as the door is opening, putting unnecessary pressure and torque on the upper part of the window glass. In theory, it could result in a window glass breaking sometime, or the window frame molding wearing prematurely, but I doubt this will happen within the first few dozen attempts.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak

The window does lower with the Emerg handle. Just not as quick as with the door open button.

TeslaBros sell these. Warning label Red, yellow or white. Door open switch Red, white or silver:

5EF91849-E72E-460C-9369-4C1257987EA0.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman

I think that one of the first line defense against this is these cool stickers that go over the button.

6F60FDC0-E92D-4963-B50D-66DC2488A317.jpeg