Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She's in her late 20's, he's 40ish and a workaholic. She's an actress (assuming Google results were on the right person, Wikipedia is blacked out) that's presumably gone on location frequently. I'm pretty shocked it ever worked at all.

He needs a different chemistry that lasts more miles ;)

I_see_what_you_did_there_super.jpg

Yes, it just does not reflect well on his decision making processes!

Well, love doesn't exactly go through a rational decision making process.

I agree with you ckessel.

I don't think one's ability to make sound business decisions and one's ability to make sound romantic decisions are necessarily related. I'm sad for Elon and Talulah that it didn't work out, but I'm not worried about Tesla or SpaceX because of it.

I agree with you ckessel.I don't think one's ability to make sound business decisions and one's ability to make sound romantic decisions are necessarily related. I'm sad for Elon and Talulah that it didn't work out, but I'm not worried about Tesla or SpaceX because of it.
Perhaps he likes exciting entrepreneurial activities when it comes to romance as much as he likes them in business? The thrill of the chase and starting something is much more stimulating than maintaining modest growth.That's why in 5 or 10 years when Tesla has rolled out BlueStar, Elon's daily participation in the company will probably drop off and when the DOE loan is paid off he'll give up the CEO role. That's assuming they don't sell the company to Toyota or Daimler before then.

I think you are right. I think he will give up the day-to-day role at Tesla at some point. When you listen to him talk, you realize his heart is really at SpaceX. He runs Tesla out of necessity, but he wants to spend all his time at SpaceX.

In so far as that is the case, it might be just because SpaceX is currently very close to achieving a huge success, and AFAIK already profitable, something to be proud of as a CEO. Tesla is like all EVs often attacked, even on this forum, the public response very sensitive to small details, and until mid-2012 perhaps more going through a tedious phase (except for the Model X reveal and maybe the bigger steps of getting closer to production). Battery tech is still a bottleneck, etc., so altogether lots of opposing forces.

Eh, I think the engineer in him gets a lot more excited about going to mars than building a car. I think its just the opposite of what you said. I think he likes the bigger challenge. SpaceX is a much bigger challenge.

Not saying that he doesn't love all his companies, but SpaceX is clearly his favorite child. At least that is how it appears to me.

It's probably more related to the technical challenge remaining. There's not much to overcome at Tesla now, it's mostly execution. SpaceX still has a steep level of technical challenge to address and overcome. Back when Tesla had a serious technical challenges, I'm sure Elon was very active.

FWIW, I totally agree WK & Citizen-T. I think Elon will give up his day-to-day role at Tesla a few years after Bluestar is released. The investor in me wants him to stay at Tesla but other than that I'm totally fine if, once successful and fully established, he leaves Tesla and puts 100% of his time into SpaceX.

Only half-humorously: Elon is running Tesla because he loves a good car. He's building the Model S to drive around his large family -- perfectly sized. Now he's doing the Model X to accommodate his family as his boys get too tall for the jump seats. Then he'll make sure there's a great successor to the Roadster so he can have his very own mid-life crisis car.

Does this portend a Tesla EV-RV in 20 years for his retirement? :biggrin:

The assumption seems to be that Tesla will become a somewhat business-as-usual car company after Bluestar. I think there is lot of potential to remain innovative at the core, and use Tesla as the means. First, Bluestar by itself will not immediately capture the mainstream and make EVs cross the 50% share of the (global) car market. That will take more. There is a lot of innovation that can still happen, such as Model X seems to be such an innovation.

Then, there are many possible extensions once Tesla gains the ability to make larger investments. More closely related battery and/or supercap development, although I would expect Elon to have a more supervising role here, than to get involved himself.

But more importantly, electric airplanes will more naturally be based on Tesla than on SpaceX because of the central importance of the eletric powertrain, and the objective of being related to enviromental concerns.

Coming back to the electric car business: Elon knows that most current attempts in the EV space are not very promising and bound to end in unsuccessful mediocre small scale efforts, and that unless someone is hiding somewhere, he is the only one, or at least one of only two or three, who has the forward-looking vision to actually drive electric cars to fruition.

Status
Not open for further replies.