Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just watched...oh wait , listened to the Radio Mystery Theater ' Through the looking Glass' Episode - http://www.oldtimeradiofans.com/template2.php?show_name=CBS%20Radio%20Mystery%20Theater&title=Through%20the%20Looking%20Glass&size=10.00%20MB&file=CBSRMT%20750417%20(0258)%2032-22%2044m03s%20Through%20the%20Looking%20Glass.mp3&description=CBSRMT%20from%20April%2017,%201975.%20%20One%20of%20my%20favorite%20radio%20mystery%20theater%20shows!&dir=cbs_radio_mystery_theater

which is awesome, by the way, and highly recommended to many people here (read: everyone!)

Cliff version - world is destroyed but time traveler w/ solar engine goes back to 1970? to fix what we've done

I think I'm glad I broke my projector finally (classic radio shows are much better w/ out a picture than most of the crap these days)

I think Elon might be from the future after listening to this one

Just listend to the radio show and its spooky, musk was just talking in one of his latest interviews to open source the hyperloop. Just like in the radio show.
he metions it in the last quarter of the interview.

Elon Musk Interview - YouTube

Some journalistic inaccuracies in the above story:

1) Did Tesla invent the laser? I don't think so. The Maser was not even invented until about the time he died.

Laser - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On May 16, 1960, Theodore H. Maiman operated the first functioning laser,[15][16] at Hughes Research Laboratories, Malibu, California,

2) Did Musk pick the name "Tesla?" I don't know, but given Martin Eberhard's fascination with Tesla, and blogging about visiting his workshop and grave, I always assumed that Martin picked the Tesla name before Musk got involved.

I really liked Elon's strategy for hiring engineers and scientists for SpaceX. It is quite clever.

GSP

Quite a while ago Musk mentioned he "literally had to borrow money for rent" when things were grim at Tesla. With things looking much better at Tesla and him wanting to do some remodeling of the property, Musk decided (very recently) to buy a house he had been renting:

Musk's decision to purchase the place was attributed to his desire for revamping and customizing the place as per his taste, reported WSJ.

Tesla Motors Owner Buys Long Rented Bel Air Estate : Buy & Sell : Realty Today
Private Properties: Elon Musk Pays $17 Million for a Bel Air Home - WSJ.com
Elon Musk Goes From Renter to Owner in Bel Air - Developments - WSJ

Last edited:
Somehow it's hard to work up a lot of sympathy for someone merely renting a Bel Air estate.
While I do agree with this statement, the Wall Street Journal said Elon started renting the Bel Air estate in 2009. The "borrow money for rent" quote came from an ABG interview (link) where Elon mentions the borrowing happened in 2008.
I don't think he was ever looking for sympathy when he has said that. He was demonstrating just how closea to death Tesla was.

Based on the ABG interview, that's exactly what he meant. Tesla almost had to file bankruptcy and Elon put his remaining reserve capital on the line in an attempt to prevent that.

TEG said:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by GSP
... Did Musk pick the name "Tesla?" I don't know, but given Martin Eberhard's fascination with Tesla, and blogging about visiting his workshop and grave, I always assumed that Martin picked the Tesla name before Musk got involved...

History is slowly being rewritten...

Why Nikola Tesla was the greatest geek who ever lived - The Oatmeal

WOW, I had no idea of the magnitude of Nikola Tesla ("idea") VS manipulation by Edison ("monetization")

10.jpg

Last edited:
We made a poster of Elon from many printer-sized papers and put him on our dorm floor wall. Now he watches over us as we study, inspired by his feats.
I'll be making a more propaganda style poster soon. That'll probably be a bit bigger and higher up.

image_1362797939100624.jpg

I know a lot of adults admire Elon and acknowledge his acomplishments that he has been able to acheive in a relatively short period of time, but is Elon becoming an idol to todays youth? I can see the science/engineering & environmental conscious leaning groups taking an interest and even the car loving youth group growing as more Tesla's hit the road. But will Elon become a household name to the youth of today? Is there going to be posters of Elon hanging on bedroom walls around the world? (hopefully after his hair regrowth :wink:) What will it take to get to that point? Will Elon start a rock band and take over the world (and Mars)?

We can all hope :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.