Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk Unmasked as Top Donor to House Republican PAC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
..they are sheep.
BTW, what is so great about the Democrats that we should be falling all over ourselves to only give money to them? Their handpicked and anointed candidate gave us Trump. Yeah, let me make sure I give them some more dough.

You are correct that selecting a lousy campaigner (and weak candidate) laid the weak foundation, but a factual correction must be noted.
There is now a mountain of evidence/facts (the last pieces still being assembled) that Vladimir Putin and James Comy gave us Trump.
The latest indictments of 12 Russians involved in the effort (and exact details of which did what) is just the next batch of boulders on that mountain.

Stop the presses! Foreign powers tried their best to influence our elections! Holy smokes, who could have imagined?

Good thing that the US is above those kinds of shenanigans.

Ask yourself why the admittedly weak candidate and lousy campaigner was handed the candidacy (and, they were certain at the time, the presidency). On a primary level they did exactly the same if not worse than the Russians are accused of. What is the difference? Why is one flavor better than the other?

The whole system is rotten to the core. What depresses me the most is the black and white I see everywhere. No one can have a nuanced position on anything. If you happen to like an image of Trump handing a lollipop to a child, then somehow you are a wholehearted supporter of everything he does or says.

Only conclusion I have is that people get the government they deserve.

Amazing to read how many of you are controlled by your wife, lol.
Damn right, but not so much 'controlled by', but treating them with respect as an equal partner. It makes for intimate, long, happy relationships.
m0637.gif

Ask yourself why the admittedly weak candidate and lousy campaigner was handed the candidacy (and, they were certain at the time, the presidency). On a primary level they did exactly the same if not worse than the Russians are accused of. What is the difference? Why is one flavor better than the other? The whole system is rotten to the core. What depresses me the most is the black and white I see everywhere. No one can have a nuanced position on anything. If you happen to like an image of Trump handing a lollipop to a child, then somehow you are a wholehearted supporter of everything he does or says. Only conclusion I have is that people get the government they deserve.

What is the difference? Try reading a few paragraphs from the latest 25 page indictment of 12 Russian military and security agents.
This type of 'thinking' is what Daniel Patrick Moynihan described as 'defining deviancy down'.

"In 1993, Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan (D., N.Y.) coined the phrase “defining deviancy down.”* Moynihan’s thesis was that, as a society, America has been “re-defining deviancy” so as to exempt conduct previously stigmatized, and quietly raising the “normal” level for behavior that was abnormal by earlier standards."

• Funny
Reactions: Plug Life
What is the difference? Try reading a few paragraphs from the latest 25 page indictment of 12 Russian military and security agents.
This type of 'thinking' is what Daniel Patrick Moynihan described as 'defining deviancy down'.

"In 1993, Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan (D., N.Y.) coined the phrase “defining deviancy down.”* Moynihan’s thesis was that, as a society, America has been “re-defining deviancy” so as to exempt conduct previously stigmatized, and quietly raising the “normal” level for behavior that was abnormal by earlier standards."

Why am I to read an indictment of foreign military intelligence agents doing their jobs? This makes no sense.

The foreign agents are doing what they have always been doing. The difference now is that our Silicon Valley tech giants have enabled them to do their jobs on a synergistic basis. What they did this past couple of elections used to be impossible. If you want to hold someone responsible, you don’t look at foreign agencies doing their jobs. You look at your own institutions and their failures. Perhaps you even bring up FaceBook on charges of treason. That would make a lot more sense than telling me to read about how we finally tracked digital signatures back to Russian operatives.

Besides, you totally ignored my point with HRC and the way the DNC worked in the past election. They are the reason we have the stupendous mess we have now. They gave us Trump and yet I should find fault with the Russians. Terrific.

My take on the whole kerfuffle ... sorry, it's a bit of a long thread. :)

Bonnie Norman on Twitter
# 28, the nail hit squarely on the head.

Thailand, Flint - it's not a PR game, though so many jaded people scream that it is - I suspect because they're projecting their own belief system and what they'd do. That's the only way some people can understand why someone would help someone else. 28/

Why am I to read an indictment of foreign military intelligence agents doing their jobs? This makes no sense.

The foreign agents are doing what they have always been doing. The difference now is that our Silicon Valley tech giants have enabled them to do their jobs on a synergistic basis. What they did this past couple of elections used to be impossible. If you want to hold someone responsible, you don’t look at foreign agencies doing their jobs. You look at your own institutions and their failures. Perhaps you even bring up FaceBook on charges of treason. That would make a lot more sense than telling me to read about how we finally tracked digital signatures back to Russian operatives.

Besides, you totally ignored my point with HRC and the way the DNC worked in the past election. They are the reason we have the stupendous mess we have now. They gave us Trump and yet I should find fault with the Russians. Terrific.

The reason we have a stupendous mess is because a few million voters shy of the majority voted for Donald Trump. The DNC didn't make him the Republican party's candidate. The DNC establishment put their fat fingers on the scale and nominated Clinton rather than Sanders. How Sanders would have fared against Trump and his Russian handlers we'll never know.

Maybe if you read part of the indictment you might understand that Russian agents 'doing their job' don't get a pass on violating U.S. laws and interfere with our democratic elections. DNC actions in the primary were serious and should never be allowed to happen again, but comparing what they did in the primaries to what the Russians and their collaborators in the Trump campaign did is ludicrous. One purpose of the indictments was to prove beyond any shadow of doubt that Russia acted to swing the election and elect Trump.

"Special counsel Robert Mueller just indicted 12 Russian intelligence officers, accusing them of interfering in the 2016 US presidential election.In total, the indictment charges 11 spies with conspiracy to commit computer crimes, eight counts of aggravated identity theft, and conspiracy to launder money. Two of the defendants are charged with a separate conspiracy to commit computer crimes."

From text of the indictment:
2. Defendants VIKTOR BORISOVICH [etc.] and
ALEKSEY ALEKSANDROVICH POTENIKIN were GRU officers who knowingly and
intentionally conspired with each other, and with persons known and unknown to the Grand Jury
(collectively the ?Conspirators?), to gain unauthorized access (to ?hack?) into the computers of
U.S. persons and entities involved in the 2016 U.S. presidential election, steal documents from
these computers, and stage releases of the stolen documents to interfere with the 2016 U.S.
presidential election.

Besides, you totally ignored my point with HRC and the way the DNC worked in the past election. They are the reason we have the stupendous mess we have now.
Sorry, but that is a bunch of bunk. Are you trying to excuse your Trump vote ?
If you cannot see the differences between between HRC and Trump then you are too stupid and ignorant to deserve a vote.

From text of the indictment:
2. Defendants VIKTOR BORISOVICH [etc.] and
ALEKSEY ALEKSANDROVICH POTENIKIN were GRU officers who knowingly and
intentionally conspired with each other, and with persons known and unknown to the Grand Jury
(collectively the ?Conspirators?), to gain unauthorized access (to ?hack?) into the computers of
U.S. persons and entities involved in the 2016 U.S. presidential election, steal documents from
these computers, and stage releases of the stolen documents to interfere with the 2016 U.S.
presidential election.
The last sentence has a missing end:
in concert with the Trump election campaign

Reactions: Spudford
Sorry, but that is a bunch of bunk. Are you trying to excuse your Trump vote ?
If you cannot see the differences between between HRC and Trump then you are too stupid and ignorant to deserve a vote.

Stupidity and ignorance is not a disqualifier unfortunately.

For the record I voted Green Party. Not that you deserve to know with your attitudes and instant ad hominem attacks. Very predictable, BTW. Taking tips from our esteemed President? Sounds like you would fit right in to his administration.

I live in NY so I am essentially disenfranchised for presidential elections anyway, as are all voters for the most part in hard red or hard blue states.

So keep drinking the self righteous kool aid. Did you even read what I wrote? Ever stop to think that you might skew a little fascist? You are much more part of the problem than the solution.

Elaborate? I'm curious how you come to this theory.

FaceBook provided detailed demographics and opportunities to pinpoint advertise to essentially unwitting American citizens. It gathered this information for the most part without the subjects having a clear knowledge of what was going on ( that is on them, by the way ). It then sold this information and ability to target the subjects with misinformation to foreign intelligence agents whose purpose it was to influence the US Presidential election. Facebook’s only real defense to this is “we did not know”.

In a different time or setting, the ignorance is no excuse clause could be applied. It is a pretty straightforward case I think. Not going to happen, but maybe it should.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe