Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk says some unwise things about Apple and their hires from Tesla !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apple actively poaching TSLA employee is a good thing. We are still not out of the startup mode so anyone who is not aligned should leave. Apple is doing TSLA a favor so that it cost TSLA nothing. Think about it.

Hmmm not so sure about that. I would not be surprised if autopilot software delays were caused by Apple poaching Tesla engineers. These delays are hurting Tesla

Elon gets king crazy sometimes.

It is a bit difficult to get king crazy when customers are hurling insults and all sorts of righteous demands at Elon, like they must get a car and some desired features that they want in a car, when they want it - it is their birthright. Kindergarten cop role might fit Elon better, he just needs a whistle like Arnie
biggrin.gif

Who can get king crazy when faced with these cuties:

AngryBaby.jpg

I want green color, not blue, and I want it right now!

CryBaby2.jpg

My seats squeak, I want better seats, right now, or I'll keep screamin...

CryBaby1.jpg

My car does 11.1 sec in 1/4 m, that's waaay too slooooow

UnhappyAngry.jpg

My center console is an eye sore and there are not enough cup holders

UnhappyMe.jpg

I am very unsatisfied with many things. I have not figured out all of them yet, but I am working hard at it. If I can't figure it out on my own, one of my mates will tell me what to complain about...

And so on it goes... There is an endless list of supporters that will keep Elon's sanity in check

It is absolutely necessary as a startup that has not reached escape velocity yet. Maybe when it becomes a mature legacy company like GM, Elon will need to take a back seat for someone more aware of what political correctness and social justice is. In order to not hurt the feelings of the newer pampered generation.

I think Tesla reached the escape velocity though it could still crash

The precious pampered ones will find an excuse to feel hurt no matter what
biggrin.gif

Last edited:
omg, Auzie, you captured the angst perfectly. Nothing is ever good enough for anyone. Hey, it's the best damned car on the planet right now, but you didn't give me autopilot when I thought you were supposed to give it to me, so who's with me on a class-action lawsuit against Elon?

View attachment 97396
My car does 11.1 sec in 1/4 m, that's waaay too slooooow

View attachment 97398
I am very unsatisfied with many things. I have not figured out all of them yet, but I am working hard at it. If I can't figure it out on my own, one of my mates will tell me what to complain about...

you made my day Auzie. thanks! :) The two above are my favourites. The seat baby should say "What?! The 2nd row seats don't fold down?!" :D

you made my day Auzie. thanks! :) The two above are my favourites. The seat baby should say "What?! The 2nd row seats don't fold down?!" :D

You're welcome

I had an arsenal of much funnier whining quotes that I could put up, but mimicking real complaints too close might hurt some real feelings

Here's how Arnie deals with kindergarteners out of control

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah, that was one cool post ! With a lot of truth. Thanks for taking the time to get some neat visuals....much much better than words! You da man, Auzie!

Folks sometimes can lose sight of the big picture...strategy, time T, and a multi dimensional vertically integrated playbook for at least 2 distinct businesses; transportation and energy storage.

My take is that the dude feels the pain when Apple hires his employees. However, I think he likes challenges and probably gets bored if life is simple.

I also feel that the talent Tesla has is unique due to the kind of business its leading and its not 1 to 1 when Tesla takes away talent from Apple. One can probably find Apple kind of talent elsewhere. But if you want to build EVs, only one company has the best people.

I expect Elon to rise to the occasion and find new ways to motivate and keep talent.

I loved his response! I dislike Apple for trying to claim that they invented everything and I believe that they are now a purely litigious lawyer firm and not a tech company.

You can't be serious. They have surpassed Intel in CPU development. They are staffing to surpass Qualcomm in RF hardware development. Are you thinking lawyers are doing that hardware development? All of this ties to car automation, BTW.

Undoubtedly Apple has hired some Tesla people Musk didn't like. Undoubtedly Apple and other companies have former Tesla employees who possess a lot of EV knowledge. At first there was a flow of skill and knowledge from Apple to Tesla. Now there is likely a substantial outflow of knowledge and skill from Tesla to other companies. Undoubtedly Musk hates this, as any leader would.

You can't be serious. They have surpassed Intel in CPU development. They are staffing to surpass Qualcomm in RF hardware development. Are you thinking lawyers are doing that hardware development? All of this ties to car automation, BTW.

Undoubtedly Apple has hired some Tesla people Musk didn't like. Undoubtedly Apple and other companies have former Tesla employees who possess a lot of EV knowledge. At first there was a flow of skill and knowledge from Apple to Tesla. Now there is likely a substantial outflow of knowledge and skill from Tesla to other companies. Undoubtedly Musk hates this, as any leader would.

They bought the firm which does arm development. They haven't surpassed Intel in anything. In fact, thunderbolt was primarily Intel but apple took credit, just coz they are like that. An ant which stands on the shoulders of giants and claims it is the tallest.

Apple has never invented anything. They still use AMD and Intel CPU's. They just repackage existing tech into a more pleasing form-factor.

Last edited:
Now there is likely a substantial outflow of knowledge and skill from Tesla to other companies. Undoubtedly Musk hates this, as any leader would.

That wouldn't make sense coming from the man who released his company's patents, and publically states over and over again that Tesla is willing to partner with the Supercharger Network et al, and travels the world meeting with high ranking politicians to discuss moving the world to sustainable energy and transport, and has country leaders visit his factory, and, and, and. Thusly showing that 'sharing' isn't something he's against even a little bit. Losing a few employees that didn't work out for whatever reason isn't even worth a second of his time let alone a strong emotion like hate.

My take is that the dude feels the pain when Apple hires his employees.

That wouldn't make sense coming from the man who released his company's patents, and publically states over and over again that Tesla is willing to partner with the Supercharger Network et al, and travels the world meeting with high ranking politicians to discuss moving the world to sustainable energy and transport, and has country leaders visit his factory, and, and, and. Thusly showing that 'sharing' isn't something he's against even a little bit. Losing a few employees that didn't work out for whatever reason isn't even worth a second of his time let alone a strong emotion like hate.

I think it has to do with a lot more than just talent.

Elon himself has stated that working at Tesla is like being in the "special forces", and that employees are expected to put in long hours. There are plenty of very skilled and talented people out there who simply do not have the energy to work 60-70 hours/week on a sustained basis, or have family commitments that prevent them from doing this.

For the people who have to manage several kids or care for elderly relatives, I wouldn't blame them one bit for going to the Apple EV project for a 60% higher salary and large signing bonus. For Tesla employees, the hope is that stock options or stock purchased through the Employee Discount Program will eventually be worth substantially more than the salary delta and signing bonus. However, some people can't wait that long. If you have kids who will be going to college in the near future or a parent who needs assisted living, the extra salary and bonus could make a huge difference. I don't think reflects well on Tesla for the company (Elon) to be dismissive in this way towards people who left. Talented people can and do leave companies for reasons other than competency.

In fairness, the journalist did ask a provocatively worded question to Elon. He tends to say whatever comes to mind.

I would simply have responded that Tesla retains more than enough top talent to see its projects to completion, and that the company's tough time requirements aren't for everyone.

Last edited:
They bought the firm which does arm development. They haven't surpassed Intel in anything. In fact, thunderbolt was primarily Intel but apple took credit, just coz they are like that. An ant which stands on the shoulders of giants and claims it is the tallest.

Apple has never invented anything. They still use AMD and Intel CPU's. They just repackage existing tech into a more pleasing form-factor.

The processors in laptops and desktops and portable devices like phones and tablets are related, but different animals. The portable processors are a lot simpler designs than the 8086 descendants. The x86 descendants have a lot of technology in them to make them backwardly compatible with old applications written in the 1990s and even 1980s. Part of my current job is working on some software originally written for Windows 1.0 in 1987. If the processors and Windows wasn't backward compatible to the degree it is, it would make my job a lot more difficult.

Apple has a history of just obsoleting old software, so they don't make use of the legacy features of the x86 family as much as Windows does, but all of that is still there in the processor.

The Ax family of processors for portable devices is a much more streamlined design with no frills because battery life is one of the most critical things in their environment. They are both processors, but comparing them head to head is a bit apples and oranges.

And Apple has either used off the shelf, bought, or hired someone else to develop their basic technologies. Apple puts the bulk of their effort into the industrial design of the package and the software to run the system. The guts components are pretty much the same as other similar products. Their market advantages are a software interface some people love (personally I struggle to grok MacOS, but my SO is among those who prefer it over Windows), their products are among the most reliable in their class, and they have a rabid fan base.

Oh really ? Maybe your definition of an invention is quite different than it is for 90 plus percent of us ?

Pray tell me what cell phones looked like before the first iPhone ? Home button ? A phone and it's screen user interface that could be changed with over the air software updates ? Pinch and zoom on a cellphone ? Desktop version web pages on the first iPhone ? App Store for cell phones ? .....

Loooking at ALL the cell phones today and comparing them to what they liked like, and worked like, BEFORE the first iPhone, I would say that we are NOT in Kansas anymore !

Oh really ? Maybe your definition of an invention is quite different than it is for 90 plus percent of us ?

Pray tell me what cell phones looked like before the first iPhone ? Home button ? A phone and it's screen user interface that could be changed with over the air software updates ? Pinch and zoom on a cellphone ? Desktop version web pages on the first iPhone ? App Store for cell phones ? .....

Loooking at ALL the cell phones today and comparing them to what they liked like, and worked like, BEFORE the first iPhone, I would say that we are NOT in Kansas anymore !

Has Apple Really Ever Invented Anything? - 9GAG

Has Apple Really Ever Invented Anything? - YouTube

Apple Never Invented Anything - YouTube

there you will find all the places apple took "inspiration from". a home button is no invention. i can't put a button on a device which is a dedicated search button and call it an invention. thats dumb. over the air updates: Which smartphone offered the first OTA updates? - Quora (it was Nokia). pinch and zoom: The myth of pinch-to-zoom: how a confused media gave Apple something it doesnt own | The Verge . what the hell is "desktop version web pages on the first iphone?" App store was first done on Ubuntu. Might not be on a cell phone, but just changing the platform doesn't make it an invention. So, it'd appear, you don't understand the word "invent".

The answer to your questions?

Woz (Seth Rogen): "What did you do? WHAT DID YOU DO?! You can't write code. You're not an engineer. You're not a designer. You can't put a hammer to a nail. I built the circuit board! The graphical interface was stolen! From Xerox PARC! Jeff Raskin was the leader of the Mac team before you threw him off his own project! So how come 10 times in a day I read that Steve Jobs is a genius?! What do you do?"

Steve Jobs (Michael Fassbender): "I play the orchestra"

Apple didn't invent the core technologies, but the company put them together in a cohesive way that people generally find cohesive and intuitive to use.

I met Woz about 20 years ago at a convention.

He told me that Jobs was a brilliant a-hole, as well as a cheat and a theif.

The answer to your questions?

Woz (Seth Rogen): "What did you do? WHAT DID YOU DO?! You can't write code. You're not an engineer. You're not a designer. You can't put a hammer to a nail. I built the circuit board! The graphical interface was stolen! From Xerox PARC! Jeff Raskin was the leader of the Mac team before you threw him off his own project! So how come 10 times in a day I read that Steve Jobs is a genius?! What do you do?"

Steve Jobs (Michael Fassbender): "I play the orchestra"

Apple didn't invent the core technologies, but the company put them together in a cohesive way that people generally find cohesive and intuitive to use.

I met Woz about 20 years ago at a convention.

He told me that Jobs was a brilliant a-hole, as well as a cheat and a theif.

thank you :)

Apple innovated, but didn't invent that much (they do have a few valid patents, but much less than old companies like Nokia). There's a subtle but important difference from the two. Invention is coming up with something completely new. Innovation is using something in a novel way.