Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk on the simpsons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was the overarching gag, and they repeated it 3 more times for an incredulous Mr. Burns. He doesn't care about the money.
All that yellow animated bastard is worried about is the good of the planet.
Thanks for the real working lightsaber! :wink:

Hydrogen is incredibly abundant in the universe... just not on Earth nor Mars in any free form. Extracting it from other compounds is very energy expensive. I also suggest the effort/energy expended for pressures needed for a rocket would be prohibitive in the case of hydrogen.

You do realise that a significant number of rockets use liquid hydrogen/oxygen engines? The Boeing Delta 4 Heavy is completely powered by the stuff.

I calculated that 5 typical wind turbines (5MW) would electrolyse and liquify enough water to support a launch rate of Delta 4 Heavies of one every two weeks. It's not ridiculous to suggest SpaceX could switch to renewables-derived hydrogen or methane if zero emissions were a priority.

So finally got around to watching the episode. It wasn't great, but that's how I'd describe most Simpsons episodes from the last decade. I guess it was too much to hope they'd make it into something as good as the Monorail episode.

What was funny to me was that the "Elon" character they portrayed was essentially the @BoredElonMusk parody twitter account.
Bored Elon Musk (@BoredElonMusk) | Twitter
The writers should have just used that guy's ideas and gave him credit.

A few examples:
"Window curtains that auto-detect how naked you are and open/close accordingly."
"An edible protective coating that you can spray on the roof of your mouth before eating Captain Crunch or other deliciously abrasive meals."
"Fridge with built in blender that juices all your leftover produce just before it spoils. Dispenses next to water and ice."
"Fartless ketchup bottles."

So finally got around to watching the episode. It wasn't great, but that's how I'd describe most Simpsons episodes from the last decade. I guess it was too much to hope they'd make it into something as good as the Monorail episode.

What was funny to me was that the "Elon" character they portrayed was essentially the @BoredElonMusk parody twitter account.
Bored Elon Musk (@BoredElonMusk) | Twitter
The writers should have just used that guy's ideas and gave him credit.

A few examples:
"Window curtains that auto-detect how naked you are and open/close accordingly."
"An edible protective coating that you can spray on the roof of your mouth before eating Captain Crunch or other deliciously abrasive meals."
"Fridge with built in blender that juices all your leftover produce just before it spoils. Dispenses next to water and ice."
"Fartless ketchup bottles."

Just watched it. I was thinking about the BoredElonMusk twitter account the whole time as well! Those were some of the funnier bits of the episode, as in, they probably could have used more of em. And yeah, I used to watch The Simpsons in the 90s, seems like a very different show now.

The first half of the episode was cute, just seeing the dragon spacecraft landing was awesome. The second half just seemed kinda aimless. Thought they could do more with Lisa's character, and the layoff plot was kinda aggravating, but whatev.

Still chuffed that he got his own Simpsons episode though!

I was just randomly thinking about this episode at lunch (no clue why!). It occurs to me that they could have handled the "profit" gags much better. Rather than simply portraying it as a "sacrifice" for future generations, as the episode did, it could have gone like:

Burns: "I'm sure you're all eager to hear how much richer I am. Now, to end the suspense, Elon?"
Musk: "Thank you, Monty. At our current rate.."
Burns: "Yes?"
Musk: "... assuming a linear growth model...
Burns: "Of course!"
Musk: "... we are losing roughly $50 million a quarter."
Burns: (gasps) "... but... my money..."
Musk: "Don't worry, according to our projections, after 10.3 years we'll control 97% of the global power and transportation markets. The profit upside is almost unlimited."
Burns: "But I'll be dead then!"
Musk: "No problem. With my Neuralink system, we will integrate your brain with a computer so that you can live on beyond the loss of your frail body. Death itself will be eliminated."
Burns: (sigh of relief) "Good! Let's do this."
Musk: "It'll take just 2.3 billion dollars and 12.7 years."
(Burns twitches repeatedly and then passes out)

• Funny
Reactions: Red Sage
It's not odd when a person leads off with "I was just randomly thinking about this episode at lunch (no clue why!)." The reason for it being out of the blue is explicitly stated: because it was something I started thinking of out of the blue, with no rhyme or reason as to why.

(Actually, if I were to guess, it'd because I've been reading too many Seeking Alpha articles debating Tesla's profit potential ;) )

• Funny
Reactions: JRP3