Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk Discussion - Tesla Brand Damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been sort of a given that Elon Musk's association with the Tesla brand has both positive and negative connotations, but over the last couple of years it seems to have heavily tilted towards the negative. He seems to spend more time operating in tilt mode than he ever has. It all seemed to take a dark turn when he boasted about buying twitter. Since then it's been a real shizenpantz show.

As an owner of a couple of Tesla vehicles, I initially was willing to ignore some of his stupidity. Now I'm not so sure. Knowing what I know now I would not purchase a Tesla. My fear is that he will end up blowing it all, sacrificing any and all good will and market leadership that Tesla currently enjoys, and eventually will kill the company dead.

I think the final straw for me was the recent layoffs. From the outside looking in it is obvious there was no plan. It was just him and his emotional cannon going off. There is no way in hades that any of this can have a positive spin to it.

It really appears that this guy should not even be left in charge of his own life, much less a multi-billion dollar company.

Thoughts?

Yes, I know this will bring out the Musk fanboys, but if you look at him and what he's doing frankly and objectively, you may come away as alarmed as I currently am.

Last edited:
Anybody who thinks Elon caused damages to Tesla is delusional.

Elon Musk currently has 47% popularity rating in the US, ranks #1 among business figures.

He has been proven to be correct on many things, such as Ukraine war, government censorship, covid origin, who's the real antisemite, etc. More and more people are realizing this, if you don't that's just because you live in an echo chamber.

BTW he's way more innovative than Steve Jobs, Jobs built a nice widget, but Elon built the world's largest launch vehicle and satellite constellation and launch more tonnage to orbit than the rest of the world combined by several times over.

Just a quick search and I find 50 or more articles like this.

IMG_2912.jpeg

IMG_2914.jpeg

Elon Musk currently has 47% popularity rating in the US, ranks #1 among business figures.

He has been proven to be correct on many things, such as Ukraine war, government censorship, covid origin, who's the real antisemite, etc. More and more people are realizing this, if you don't that's just because you live in an echo chamber.

BTW he's way more innovative than Steve Jobs, Jobs built a nice widget, but Elon built the world's largest launch vehicle and satellite constellation and launch more tonnage to orbit than the rest of the world combined by several times over.
Not sure where you’re getting your information, but it sounds like extremely right wing stuff.

Last edited:
Only anecdotal, but I have one friend who absolutely will not consider buying a Tesla and his only reason is he doesn't want to give Musk any money. I have another friend who may buy one, but is hesitating for the same reason. I don't know anyone who is ruling out any other car company due to their leadership.

Now, in addition to hurting the reputation of the brand, he's directly working against the company mission by slowing the development of new supercharging sites

If the company is mission-driven, then it doesn't matter if the supercharging program was making money. Rapidly expanding the best charging network furthers the mission.

This move makes me realize he could just order superchargers shut down temporarily or permanently, or in a particular area he doesn't like, and he's erratic enough that could be a real possibility.

I voted against every board-recommended motion except the one selecting an accounting firm. Elon doesn't deserve any bonus, we don't need his cronies on the board, and the he shouldn't be allowed to move the company to Texas so he can have a friendlier referee reviewing his actions.

Musk has had more good ideas than a lot of people, but he's not infallible or immune to the toxic combination of drug addiction and a radicalized information bubble. It's well past time to get a functional adult to run the company.

Not sure where you’re getting your information, but it sounds like extremely right wing stuff.
You mean YouGov polling is "extreme right wing stuff"? That's a first LOL

Ukraine is losing the war just as Elon predicted: Ukraine is losing the war and the west faces a stark choice: help now or face a resurgent and aggressive Russia, you're saying the conversation publishes "extreme right wing stuff"?

You're claiming SpaceX launches world's largest launch vehicle and largest satellite constellation is also "extreme right wing stuff"?

Elon is accomplishing more things than you can even dream of.

Why, don't you like your Tesla?
It's not about whether or not I like the my Tesla vehicles. It's a longer term view of what is happening with the company.

I do not believe in any way shape or manner that Elon Musk is playing some type of 4 dimensional chess here. He's just not that smart. Look at his posts on Twitter/X for proof of that daily.

Tesla had as many as 140,000 employees recently. These folks are the ones doing the real work and innovating. Musk is just a figurehead and a poor one at that. He's a reactionary. A good CEO would have seen this poor sales quarter coming (it's not like they don't know what is happening sales and revenue wise daily), and put in place a PLAN to slow hiring and manage costs, and then execute that plan. Tesla is still profitable. It's not like the company is losing money.

IMHO, Elon is just a petulant child that unfortunately placed in charge of something rather large and important, and when someone pushes back against his poorly thought out and knee jerk staff reductions plans, he just overreacted and fired the whole team. There are no rose colored glasses to wear here. It is painfully obvious what happened.

Last edited:
Four years ago I thought Elon Musk was the next Steve Jobs. The guy has been such a disappointment. Not only has he hurt Tesla, his latest antics have hurt the entire EV industry in the US and I suspect given China an upper hand.
Were you seriously thinking Elon went to China recently to conduct deals?

The real event was for his annual calibration.
1714837705159.png