Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electricity Usage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's most certainly tiered rates at work rather than your meter.

First month in a new home with a tiered rate structure: thanks to heavy charging on weekends (I get my weekday juice at work) and an electric range (coupled with a cooking-happy visiting mother-in-law ;)), I got such a nasty surprise too! $177 for 812 kWh consumed!!

elec.jpg

It's most certainly tiered rates at work rather than your meter.

First month in a new home with a tiered rate structure: thanks to heavy charging on weekends (I get my weekday juice at work) and an electric range (coupled with a cooking-happy visiting mother-in-law ;)), I got such a nasty surprise too! $177 for 812 kWh consumed!!

View attachment 27291

What rate plan are you on, and are you thinking of switching to the new EV plan?

What rate plan are you on, and are you thinking of switching to the new EV plan?

I'm on the vanilla "E1 XB" schedule:

http://www.pge.com/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_SCHEDS_E-1.pdf

Looking at the numbers and the hours for the EV schedule:

http://www.pge.com/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_SCHEDS_EV.pdf

I don't think it'll work out for me much given that the peak hours (around dinner time) in the evenings will be the killer with the electric range, TV, etc.

I can choose to do more of my charging (say on Mondays after a weekend of driving) from L2 stations at work so, I may not have to charge the car much at home... I'll wing it for another month or so and see.

janandji,

My first thought is that you are still on a tiered residential rate schedule. Your stratospheric bill ought to show all the tiers, their rates, and how many kWh's you consumed per tier.
It usually isn't pretty by the time you achieve the 4th tier.

If you have a Time-Of-Use plan, then be forewarned - you are now being billed different rates for the electricity you use at certain times of the day, and you are *still* on a tiered rate setup. So running an air conditioner during the peak times can really rack up the $$$.

If you have the 2-meter setup, where the car has a separate meter, then you'll need to check your bill and see if Edison accidentally did a switcheroo on the meters, so your car is on the residental rate and your house is on the automotive rate.

If there's no relief there, then its time to investigate possible equipment problems ...

-- Ardie
Solar panels are looking better and better...

Solar panels are looking better and better...

That's what I'm doing. It's the best of both worlds really, because if you switch to the TOU and get solar panels, you pay the cheaper solar rate during the day (compared to the expensive mid-day TOU rates) and still get the cheap late night rates from the electric company. I'll be charging the car at night at $0.09/kwh and paying $0.16/kwh for my solar during the day. :)

not to mention if you generate extra kwh during the peak hours, you will get credit back $.47 kwh. Thats what I tell my customers with Tesla all the time. Switch to TOU-EV, generate extra energy in the day and get paid back more than 5x that while charging at night.

That's what I'm doing. It's the best of both worlds really, because if you switch to the TOU and get solar panels, you pay the cheaper solar rate during the day (compared to the expensive mid-day TOU rates) and still get the cheap late night rates from the electric company. I'll be charging the car at night at $0.09/kwh and paying $0.16/kwh for my solar during the day. :)

not to mention if you generate extra kwh during the peak hours, you will get credit back $.47 kwh. Thats what I tell my customers with Tesla all the time. Switch to TOU-EV, generate extra energy in the day and get paid back more than 5x that while charging at night.

Not sure about the utility in SoCal but, that's not quite the way it works with PG&E up here. Though the monthly statement puts a nice meaty-looking dollar value as the credit at the full tariff rate per surplus kWh sent back to the grid, that's not what you'd end up with at the end of the true-up period.

You'd currently get a mere 4 cents per surplus unit produced. See the first question here:

AB920 Net Energy Metering FAQ

Not sure about the utility in SoCal but, that's not quite the way it works with PG&E up here. Though the monthly statement puts a nice meaty-looking dollar value as the credit at the full tariff rate per surplus kWh sent back to the grid, that's not what you'd end up with at the end of the true-up period.

You'd currently get a mere 4 cents per surplus unit produced. See the first question here:

AB920 Net Energy Metering FAQ

That's what I was thinking too, though I was thinking it was closer to 8 cents here for SCE. Either way, their goal is to have you not overproduce and make a profit off it.

1000 miles of driving at $0.12 per kwh added about $60 per month. It was about $40 with Leaf. Part of increase is phantom load and slightly more driving. Car has dedicated E V meter with SCE.

Where is electricity so cheap?

SW Washington state (Clark County PUD) we are $0.0847/kWh including taxes.

good to know alot of places are not completely out of line for power costs, where i am, im locked in for 5 years at 8¢/kWh
if i want to renew it will be 8.9¢/kWh (which still is pretty decent as its CAD and not USD)

ive heard in some places like hawaii the cost is like 24+¢ which is ridiculous

anyways, this is my current cost (havent had my car as long as you but after 800+kms its still only like $12)
$2.70 of that was free from a hotel i leeched power off of because tesla forgot my charging cable on delivery :D

Kq8zxGU.jpg