Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Echo for callers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I googled this, the search results show this has been discussed in forums for other models:

Have any of you received complaints while speaking with someone on a call that they are receiving an echo on their end? Other threads suggest it could be an iPhone to iPhone issue but I am wondering if there are any data points to suggest it goes beyond that? Thus far I have only had a chance to speak to someone with an iPhone so posting to see if anyone else has received this feedback.

Reactions: blecchus_rex
When I googled this, the search results show this has been discussed in forums for other models:

Have any of you received complaints while speaking with someone on a call that they are receiving an echo on their end? Other threads suggest it could be an iPhone to iPhone issue but I am wondering if there are any data points to suggest it goes beyond that? Thus far I have only had a chance to speak to someone with an iPhone so posting to see if anyone else has received this feedback.
Two things we found:
A. Remove the phone from the wireless charger and place it on your Lap or on the passenger seat.
and
B. Lower the volume and the echo on the other end will lessen.

Fred

Reactions: Lounanne
I have had this issue multiple times and have narrowed it down to the wireless charger. If you make/receive a call while the phone is on the wireless charger, the odds of having echo are pretty great.

However if the phone is off the charger, the issue seems to minimize. No idea why this is happening but that seems to be the constant that I was able to discover.

I have had this issue multiple times and have narrowed it down to the wireless charger. If you make/receive a call while the phone is on the wireless charger, the odds of having echo are pretty great.

However if the phone is off the charger, the issue seems to minimize. No idea why this is happening but that seems to be the constant that I was able to discover.
Location of microphone is on the bottom of the phone? And phone on wireless charger is placed such that the microphone is down, against the bottom lip? No wonder there is an echo in that case. What happens when you rotate the phone 180 degrees on the charger, so its screen is still facing you but it is upside down and the microphone is now at the top with nothing against it?

But when you’re on a call via Bluetooth, isn’t it the microphone in the car that picks up? No one has ever complained for me over Bluetooth calling.
I've had it use my phone, and then had to transfer to the car. Not sure what is happening for others, but if placement of phone is causing an echo, then only logical assumption is that the microphone on the phone is the one being used for that call...

Yes, this fairly consistently occurs on my wife's Model Y... but not on my Model 3.

Never have my phone on wireless charger as it does not work through the case. Wife constantly complains when I call her about the echo. Android phone. I can try moving the phone but I assumed it used the tesla mic not the phone mic.
My GMC using android auto has no echo and gives me access to a ton of functions on the phone all by voice. Tesla really needs to step up their game if they are the 'technology vehicle.'

• Love
Reactions: bob00 and Ohelig
Interesting. We are getting closer to the answer. Any chance both the Tesla's mic AND the phone's mic are active? If so, the difference in how quick each one captures and sends audio would sound like an echo. Have you tried muting the mic on your phone next time via the mute button? If that kills all audio, then try covering up the mic on your phone.

Interesting. We are getting closer to the answer. Any chance both the Tesla's mic AND the phone's mic are active? If so, the difference in how quick each one captures and sends audio would sound like an echo. Have you tried muting the mic on your phone next time via the mute button? If that kills all audio, then try covering up the mic on your phone.
Muting kills the whole sound system, whether on Bluetooth correct or not.

Fred

Last edited:
And if you cover the mic on the phone? Put your hand over the bottom of the phone if iPhone and I assume for Android too. If there is an echo and only the Tesla mic is in use, then moving the phone should not make any difference to the echo. If the echo if changing when we move the phone, then the mic in the phone must be active too. Need to find a way to cancel that mic out. What if you plug in headphones that have a mic too? Do you need to press a button to talk with that setup? If so, that would also help?

I always found that the echo existed when making the call while the phone is on the charging pad. Then once it started, it remained even if you removed it from the charger.

The only way I found to get rid of it was to hang up the call, remove from the charging pad, and then call the person back

Weird.

Based on some descriptions, it appears as if there is some bug that leaves the phone mic active if it’s charging wirelessly (double mic with delay would cause acoustic echo), but that wouldn’t be a Tesla issue, it would be an iOS or Android issue, so I am doubting this a bit.

The wireless network operator you’re with also has a part to play here. Some apply echo cancellation techniques for acoustic echo, others less so. Also, calling to a landline house will be different than calling to a landline office will be different than calling another mobile phone on a different. network will be different to calling another mobile phone on the same network. Yes, really.

For sure turning down the speaker volume in the car should help (not always easy to do that and still hear the conversation, though). Tesla could do some active cancellation, but it wouldn’t be trivial to do. They should be able to implement it via software, though again, not a super easy challenge to solve.